Author Topic: 5 Guys I Like and 5 I Don't  (Read 3638 times)

Re: 5 Guys I Like and 5 I Don't
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I am not as big a fan of Hield as some mainly  because he is a bandwagon player.  Every huge fan of his I imagine is Dalen Cuff which is probably not fair.  I like him though.  Dalen Cuff is your typical frat boy bandwagon fan though, and Tim Welsh thinks we should draft every player from Providence.

More a fan of Hield than Dunn for this team though.  Not a huge fan of either as our selection.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:23:40 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
3. Denzell Valentine - Another heresy pick. Valentine benefits from Draymond Green too much. They are different players at different positions. He is a point guard who needs the ball to produce, but he's not a great scorer or defender. At best I see Valentine as a less athletic Evan Turner. I'm not sure that's an NBA player.

Good thread, but I disagree on this one a lot. He's not a PG, but rather a guy that has the ability to run the point because of his high BB IQ, his handles, and his passing. He doesn't need the ball to produce at all. The guy racks up assists, not because he's pounding the ball into the ground, but rather because he really pushes tempo and hits players in the right spots (little adjustment needed by shooters to get into their shooting motion because he routinely hits them perfectly). The ball does not stick to him, he's always moving it. He's also an excellent shooter (44.4% 3's on 7.5 attempts per game) who has both range and a quick release and can easily spot up and play off the ball. He's not a good defensive player, but since his IQ is so high I expect him to in time be a good team defender by being in the right place, forcing players to help defenders, knowing tendencies, etc. He's also an excellent rebounder for his position (7.5 RPG), which is an added bonus. At the swing spots I honestly don't know if there is a better fit for Stevens system, which explains why he was trying to get him to Butler.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:38:12 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
3. Denzell Valentine - Another heresy pick. Valentine benefits from Draymond Green too much. They are different players at different positions. He is a point guard who needs the ball to produce, but he's not a great scorer or defender. At best I see Valentine as a less athletic Evan Turner. I'm not sure that's an NBA player.

Good thread, but I disagree on this one a lot. He's not a PG, but rather a guy that has the ability to run the point because of his high BB IQ, his handles, and his passing. He doesn't need the ball to produce at all. The guy racks up assists, not because he's pounding the ball into the ground, but rather because he really pushes tempo and hits players in the right spots (little adjustment needed by shooters to get into their shooting motion because he routinely hits them perfectly). The ball does not stick to him, he's always moving it. He's also an excellent shooter (44.4% 3's on 7.5 attempts per game) who has both range and a quick release and can easily spot up and play off the ball. He's not a good defensive player, but since his IQ is so high I expect him to in time be a good team defender by being in the right place, forcing players to help defenders, knowing tendencies, etc. He's also an excellent rebounder for his position (7.5 RPG), which is an added bonus. At the swing spots I honestly don't know if there is a better fit for Stevens system, which explains why he was trying to get him to Butler.

I'm not so proud as to be unwilling to change my opinion with great argumentation. You, sir, did that.

I'm still nervous about him, so I can't put him on my like list, but he's off my don't like list.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'll do 3 like and dislike for each 1st rd pick.

Like-Bender, Murray, Heild
Dislike-Brown, Peoltl, Dunn

Like-Korkmaz, Valentine, Sabonis
Dislike-Jackson, Prince, Maker

Like-Jones, Zubac, Zizic
Dislike-Diallo, Stone, Qi

Why do you not like Taureen Prince?

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
5 Guys I Like
1. Damian Jones - Especially for where this kid is ranked on many boards, I like him a lot!!! We can get him with the 16, 23, or maybe even the 31 or 35. He has the athleticism and youth to continue to develop in the NBA. As the ESPN article said, Jordan and Drummond both struggled in college too. For whatever reasons young athletic bigs can struggle in college, but still succeed in the NBA.

Damian Jones looks very interesting. Hard to understand why a guy with his size and athleticism is not at least a late lottery to mid first round pick. Special combination of size and athleticism.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'll do 3 like and dislike for each 1st rd pick.

Like-Bender, Murray, Heild
Dislike-Brown, Peoltl, Dunn

Like-Korkmaz, Valentine, Sabonis
Dislike-Jackson, Prince, Maker

Like-Jones, Zubac, Zizic
Dislike-Diallo, Stone, Qi

Why do you not like Taureen Prince?
It's more about the spot than the player. I see Prince as a 25-30 prospect though sites mock him in the late teens.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I second what Eddie said Tp Bro.

I've seen countless Michigan State Games over the past 4 years and Valentine has always impressed me. Love the guy. Tough, competitive, winner, smart, great shooter, passer, rebounder. I'll take him Sabonis or Maker at 16 with no regrets.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I like

M.Chris
Bender
Brown
Dunn
Deytona Davis

Dislike