Author Topic: 5 Guys I Like and 5 I Don't  (Read 3637 times)

5 Guys I Like and 5 I Don't
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
5 Guys I Like
1. Damian Jones - Especially for where this kid is ranked on many boards, I like him a lot!!! We can get him with the 16, 23, or maybe even the 31 or 35. He has the athleticism and youth to continue to develop in the NBA. As the ESPN article said, Jordan and Drummond both struggled in college too. For whatever reasons young athletic bigs can struggle in college, but still succeed in the NBA.

2. Marquess Chriss - I think this kid is a poor man's Anthony Davis. I'm worried about his attitude a bit, but I could see Danny thinking about him at #3. The athleticism, defensive potential, and jumpshot range is impressive.

3. Jamal Murray - He succeeds at every level: college, high school, and that game against USA. He can shoot, drive, and pull up. He has good handles and good court vision. I think he is a slightly less athletic, slightly bigger Damian Lillard. He may need a few years to continue to develop his ball-handling and feel for getting around elite athletes, but I think he will succeed in the NBA.

4. Timothy Luwawu - This kid seems like he wants to score. I like that. Teams have him pegged as a 3 and D guy, but I think he wants to score more than they give him credit for. Great athlete. Good form on his shot. Good defender. Scorer's mindset. Demar Derozan with 3 point range.

5. Deandre Bembry - I like Bembry. Players that can do a lot of things well normally make it in the NBA. He has good form on his jumpshot, even though his percentages dropped his junior year. This guy is a better Lance Stephenson.

5 Guys I Don't Like
1. Buddy Hield - Hield will probably be somewhere between a Jodie Meeks and Wesley Matthews. That is a good player, but I don't think that is worth the 3rd pick. I like his attitude, but (heresy) I think his shooting was inflated with a high usage rate. Without the ball in his hands (which he can't have in the NBA due to his average ball-handling and below average court vision), I think his outside shooting will top out a 40%. Still good, but I'm not sure he brings enough to justify 3rd.

2. Henry Ellenson - I love when narratives do not show the truth about players. Ellenson is supposed to be a scoring big man who can shoot outside, like a poor man's Kevin Love, but his shooting percentage is terrible (even though that didn't stop him from shooting). Inefficient scoring big man. Stretch four who can't shoot. Does not help his team win games. Not a good defender. Average rebounder. Poor agility. Bust potential is super high on him.

3. Denzell Valentine - Another heresy pick. Valentine benefits from Draymond Green too much. They are different players at different positions. He is a point guard who needs the ball to produce, but he's not a great scorer or defender. At best I see Valentine as a less athletic Evan Turner. I'm not sure that's an NBA player.

4. Skal Labisierre - I like Labisierre. I want to like him as a prospect. I'm not sure he has the toughness to be an NBA player. He will probably hang around the NBA for 10 years, but I'm not sure he will ever be successful. Although he is the one guy that I am worried I will eat my words on.

5. Cheick Diallo - He reminds me way too much of Thomas Robinson. Undersized athletes who don't understand basketball cannot succeed in the NBA. You have to know your role on offense and defense. That's why he didn't succeed at Kansas.

Re: 5 Guys I Like and 5 I Don't
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Like this post. Like that you have an opinion that isn't based on pundit ******** and worthless mock drafts, and I agree on some of the key players here.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 11:00:40 PM »

• Paul Silas
Like this post. Like that you have an opinion that isn't based on pundit ******** and worthless mock drafts, and I agree on some of the key players here.

I tend to be a bit contrarian to conventional thought. My job isn't riding on my opinion of these guys, but sure is fun when I pick them right.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
My 5+5:

Like - Korkmaz, Davis, Valentine, Poeltl, Zizic. Also love Simmons.
Dislike - Hield in the top 10, Brown top 10, Ellenson lotto, Sabonis top 20, Ulis in round 1.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:35:21 PM by loco_91 »

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mostly concur.

Im a Bender guy, though, and I also like Deyonta Davis.

In the late first I also like Cornelie and Hernangomez.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:41:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I will stick to guys projected to go after #3 (for the sake of realism)

Buddy Hield:
I think he's going to be a 20 PPG scorer at some point in his career, would be thriiled to take him at #3

Kris Dunn:
I think he may be the most complete PG since Chris Paul, and would love him at #3

Jakob Poeltl:
A two way center who has the tools to be an exceptional defensive player (and above average offensive player and rebounder) in this league.  Should be a very good starter his entire career, and a pretty low risk at busting.  Would be thrilled if we could trade up from #16 and select him.

Skal Labissiere
I totally acknowledge that he is a massive risk due to questionable intangibles and basketball IQ, but Skal is one of the most athletic seven footers I have seen in years, seems to have nice footwork, has elite defensive potential, and also has the ability to be an inside/outside threat on offence.  He's an elite shot blocker, a good rebounder, can score in the paint, has a silky smooth jumper, can defend quicker wings on the perimeter and big guys in the paint.  I think he is is a more extreme version of Bender on both fronts - higher risk, higher upside.  Would be trilled to take a gamble on him at #16 or #23 if he slips back that far.

Domantas Sabonis:
I don't think he has any hope of becoming a star, but he's got such a solid all round skill set that he should develop into a solid starter.  I think his bust risk is low (he should be a good backup at the very least) but his ceiling is also limited.  I wouldn't reach on him, but he'd be a very solid pick at #16 or #23 if he slips that far.

Dislike

Jamal Murray
Like Bender, I think Murray's ceiling is way too limited to gamble with a top 3 pick.  I think that Murray is the perfect example of the type of player (skilled scorer put poor physicals and other skills) who tends to excel at the college game, then struggle to translate that excellence to the NBA level.  I think he might have the lowest floor of all the top 6 projected picks, because he's the only guy projected to go top 6 who I could see legitimately struggling to become even a rotation player at the NBA level.

Dragan Bender
I think Bender's ceiling is far too limited for me to even contemplate drafting him with the #3 pick.  I just think people are massively overstating his strengths, and massively understating the risk.  He'd be worth the gamble on a pick in the 8-12 range, but I just don't think he'll fall that far thanks to all the hype. 

Jaylen Brown
I feel that Brown is a poor man's version of Stanley Johnson.  Johnson was a great athlete with good size and strength, much like Brown.  Johnson however had a quality jumper, good passing instincts, and excellent rebounding from the get go.  Brown is a good rebounder, but his jumper needs work and he doesn't seem to have Johnson's overall offensive polish.  I don't hate him because I think he has a higher floor then Murray and a higher Ceiling then Bender - but I think he's a high risk to become a big of a nobody. 

Thon Maker
Thon maker is a guy who I see as the biggest gimmick after Bender.  He doesn't look to me like a guy who has an NBA body, and I'm not sure if he's a guy who could ever develop one.  He seems to often looks awkward and confused on the court, and he just doesn't seem to be great at anything.  I see him as a very similar prospect to Bender, but with both ends of the spectrum (floor and ceiling) being higher.  I just think he's too high a gamble for anything more than a late first rounder.  I'd be willing to gamble at #23 but even there I'd feel it's a risk. 

Denzel Valentine
Valentine is one of those guys who I'd really like to see succeed at the NBA level because he seems like a great kid.  Unfortunately I just thing he looks to me like Shaun Livingston 2.0, which doesn't excite me much. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:05:09 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 12:19:44 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm coming around on Chriss. It seems like he's going to wind up going very early...like in play at #3 early.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'll do 3 like and dislike for each 1st rd pick.

Like-Bender, Murray, Heild
Dislike-Brown, Peoltl, Dunn

Like-Korkmaz, Valentine, Sabonis
Dislike-Jackson, Prince, Maker

Like-Jones, Zubac, Zizic
Dislike-Diallo, Stone, Qi

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
5 Guys I Like
1. Damian Jones - Especially for where this kid is ranked on many boards, I like him a lot!!! We can get him with the 16, 23, or maybe even the 31 or 35. He has the athleticism and youth to continue to develop in the NBA. As the ESPN article said, Jordan and Drummond both struggled in college too. For whatever reasons young athletic bigs can struggle in college, but still succeed in the NBA.

2. Marquess Chriss - I think this kid is a poor man's Anthony Davis. I'm worried about his attitude a bit, but I could see Danny thinking about him at #3. The athleticism, defensive potential, and jumpshot range is impressive.

3. Jamal Murray - He succeeds at every level: college, high school, and that game against USA. He can shoot, drive, and pull up. He has good handles and good court vision. I think he is a slightly less athletic, slightly bigger Damian Lillard. He may need a few years to continue to develop his ball-handling and feel for getting around elite athletes, but I think he will succeed in the NBA.

4. Timothy Luwawu - This kid seems like he wants to score. I like that. Teams have him pegged as a 3 and D guy, but I think he wants to score more than they give him credit for. Great athlete. Good form on his shot. Good defender. Scorer's mindset. Demar Derozan with 3 point range.

5. Deandre Bembry - I like Bembry. Players that can do a lot of things well normally make it in the NBA. He has good form on his jumpshot, even though his percentages dropped his junior year. This guy is a better Lance Stephenson.

I like 1-3 and 5.   I also think Ingram is going to be a player.   If Luawau is DeRozan with range then 4 will be great but not sure if I would commit to that.   I like Joel Bolomboy and Bentil too as second rounders.  Ingram is skinny so is Bender, but Ingram is silky smooth and Bender, well, I do not think he has grown into his body nor may he ever.

Bender scares the crap out of me.   No production, lack of athletic ability and weak.   He does have nice form on his jumper and size.   But thus far, he has been mediocre in Israel with a few good games since when is that a recipe for success in the NBA.   Porzingas is way more athletic.   Sullinger has a better vertical than this kid, that is a huge warning sign.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:24:44 AM »

• Paul Silas
My 5+5:

Dislike - Hield in the top 10, Brown top 10, Ellenson lotto, Sabonis top 20, Ulis in round 1.

I like your dislikes, but I'm not a Korkmaz or Valentine guy. I

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »

• Paul Silas
I mostly concur.

Bender and Davis are just outside of my likes.

PhoSita, we are agreeing too much lately, don't you think?

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I tend to be a bit contrarian to conventional thought. My job isn't riding on my opinion of these guys, but sure is fun when I pick them right.

Jones and Chriss are two guys that're gonna go higher than projected.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
My 5+5:

Why don't you like Korkmaz? Can see not liking Valentine--he's not exactly a swing for the stands. Korkmaz though... he's 6'7, athletic, a great shooter, creates his own shot, solid handles, good vision+feel, young. Just seems like he checks all the boxes for a scoring wing.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mostly concur.

Bender and Davis are just outside of my likes.

PhoSita, we are agreeing too much lately, don't you think?

I don't see the problem. :D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »

• Paul Silas
My 5+5:

Why don't you like Korkmaz? Can see not liking Valentine--he's not exactly a swing for the stands. Korkmaz though... he's 6'7, athletic, a great shooter, creates his own shot, solid handles, good vision+feel, young. Just seems like he checks all the boxes for a scoring wing.

Korkamaz has handles, but his handles don't actually get him going to the basket. His athleticism does. I don't like him as a driver in the NBA for that reason and that he is really skinny.

I like his game. He didn't make my "Don't Like" list, but I'm not "in like" with him