Author Topic: Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid  (Read 8260 times)

Re: Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:51 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I really try to not be super dismissive but I honestly don't get how people think this is a fair thing worth discussing. It is like asking if we should trade jae crowder for Vince carter. Embiids value until he plays a full season and is effective is nothing

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 04:25:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I really try to not be super dismissive but I honestly don't get how people think this is a fair thing worth discussing. It is like asking if we should trade jae crowder for Vince carter. Embiids value until he plays a full season and is effective is nothing
I assume you think Embiid's potential is overrated and he's got very little chance of getting healthy.  You also might like some of the options at #3.   If that's the perspective you're coming from, I don't blame you for not getting why people think this a fair thing worth discussing. 

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:03 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Are the 76ers placing Okafor and Noel on the trading block because of what they've seen in Embiid or is it because they have more value relative to Embiid?

We can assume that if they're willing to part with their 2 best players without seeing Embiid play in an NBA game it is because he has thoroughly demonstrated his ability in practices and scrimmages. You don't give up Noel and Okafor unless you're sure that, barring injury, Embiid is better than the others. Coming out of Kansas, Embiid looked great on both sides of the ball very much like Towns. Be will be 2 years older and stronger since then, the 76ers are rolling the dice that he's better than both even while not being as valuable as them at the moment.

If his medical records are clear, you make the trade.
To be clear, there's been no indication they are considering trading Embiid.  So all the people commenting, "if they are willing to trade him, clearly that means they are hiding his medical records" might not get that this thread is built on a hypothetical that has very little chance of happening.   There's no sign of Philly trying to shop Embiid right now.  There's no sign of Boston wanting to trade #3 for him.   I just shared an opinion article that said Boston should try trading for him:  https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2016/05/25/boston-celtics-should-trade-for-embiid-not-okafor/

From what I understand, Embiid is still seen as the future of that team at Center.  Noel is defense.  Okafor is offense.  Embiid is seen as the best two-way prospect.   If they had lost faith in Embiid's ability to play long-term, they probably wouldn't be shopping NOel and Okafor right now as reported:  http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15769627/philadelphia-76ers-explore-trades-involving-jahlil-okafor-nerlens-noel

If you see one or both of those guys moved, it's because they are pretty comfortable with Embiid's health. 

Also, we can assume there aren't a ton of offers for Embiid, because he's seen as the biggest risk of the three.   Teams will have interest in Noel and Okafor.  So if they are trying to get guard value back, they probably are best off moving Noel and Okafor.  Embiid's trade value is at an all-time low.  Both Noel and Okafor still have solid trade value.