Author Topic: Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid  (Read 8305 times)

Re: Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Let's trade the highest draft pick we've had in over 19 years for Greg Oden 2.0.  Sure, what could go wrong??   ;) 

Hell, Embiid wasn't even taken #1 overall, so we're trading our top draft choice for a poor man's Greg Oden then?

One more factor to consider -- Embiid is now age 22 and has had 2 years of development stunted by injuries.  A lot of people don't consider (a healthy) Buddy Hield worth the #3 pick because he is 22 years old now.  Why wouldn't Embiid be treated the same way since he hasn't shown any progression and is now currently age 22?

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What are the historical precidents for a player missing the first two seasons of his career with injury?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Let's trade the highest draft pick we've had in over 19 years for Greg Oden 2.0.  Sure, what could go wrong??   ;) 

Hell, Embiid wasn't even taken #1 overall, so we're trading our top draft choice for a poor man's Greg Oden then?
Ok look at it like this. 

Say the guy available at #3 (Buddy Hield, for instance) has a ceiling of JJ Reddick (great sharp shooter who can get you 18 a night) and a floor of Anthony Morrow (quality role player who can hit threes off the bench). 

Say Embiid has a ceiling of Hakeem (dominant two way superstar) and a floor of oden (never plays a significant minute).

Would you trade #3 knowing it has a better chance of becoming a decent player... But the guy you are potentially getting has a superstar ceiling with a 50% chance of never playing?

I'm not saying it's as cut and dry as that, but that seems to be the logic behind the idea.  Supposedly nobody at #3 has allstar potential let alone superstar potential.  Of course, we know flukey things happen so maybe someone taken in the middle of this draft develops into a star.  But the pre-draft consensus right now seems to be that your chance of getting a future superstar at 3 is slim to none... Whereas, healthy embiid is still seen as someone who can be a game changer.

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
What are the historical precidents for a player missing the first two seasons of his career with injury?
For what it's worth, based on everything I read last summer (Philly still wasn't tremendously open about the situation), embiid could have played if they had no concern for his long term health.  He was running around dunking and dominating people in practices and felt no pain.  But when they looked at his foot they weren't comfortable with the level of healing of the tissue around the bone and the concern was that if he reinjured it, it could limit the length of his career.   From what I understand, this is why they decided he should get a bone graft and why it took several weeks until embiid agreed to do it.  They wanted to prevent a Greg oden situation where they let the guy go out there 95% healed and put his long term health at risk.

So technically, he could have actually played.  But the second surgery was done with the hope of fully healing him so he could have a long and productive career.  There's been recent success with bone grafts for guys like Brook Lopez (2 seasons without a significant injury) and Kevin Durant (a game away from the NBA finals).

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
For what it's worth, based on everything I read last summer (Philly still wasn't tremendously open about the situation), embiid could have played if they had no concern for his long term health.  He was running around dunking and dominating people in practices and felt no pain.  But when they looked at his foot they weren't comfortable with the level of healing of the tissue around the bone and the concern was that if he reinjured it, it could limit the length of his career.   From what I understand, this is why they decided he should get a bone graft and why it took several weeks until embiid agreed to do it.  They wanted to prevent a Greg oden situation where they let the guy go out there 95% healed and put his long term health at risk.

So technically, he could have actually played.  But the second surgery was done with the hope of fully healing him so he could have a long and productive career.  There's been recent success with bone grafts for guys like Brook Lopez (2 seasons without a significant injury) and Kevin Durant (a game away from the NBA finals).
I'm so skeptical of any behind-the-scenes reporting of Philly but if there's any team in the league that's going to keep a player out last season out of respect for his long term health, it's Philly. Not because they care but because of the process. So it would make sense.

But verifying that for the purposes of trading for Embiid would be tough.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Ok look at it like this. 

Say the guy available at #3 (Buddy Hield, for instance) has a ceiling of JJ Reddick (great sharp shooter who can get you 18 a night) and a floor of Anthony Morrow (quality role player who can hit threes off the bench). 

Say Embiid has a ceiling of Hakeem (dominant two way superstar) and a floor of oden (never plays a significant minute).

Would you trade #3 knowing it has a better chance of becoming a decent player... But the guy you are potentially getting has a superstar ceiling with a 50% chance of never playing?

I'm not saying it's as cut and dry as that, but that seems to be the logic behind the idea.  Supposedly nobody at #3 has allstar potential let alone superstar potential.  Of course, we know flukey things happen so maybe someone taken in the middle of this draft develops into a star.  But the pre-draft consensus right now seems to be that your chance of getting a future superstar at 3 is slim to none... Whereas, healthy embiid is still seen as someone who can be a game changer.

Yours is a horrendously flawed analysis.

The first problem is your initial supposition. Do you really think that of all the players available in this draft NONE will ever be better than JJ Reddick (who, BTW, has never averaged 18ppg in a season during his entire career)? That's an awfully bold and frankly presumptuous statement. Do you know how many drafts in the last 15 years had no player selected 3rd or below who wasn't better than Reddick? None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Yeah, so it's almost certain that there's someone better than Reddick out there.

Your second problem is a tidbit you consistently seem to conveniently forget. Embiid was NEVER considered a sure-fire superstar coming out of the draft. Even coming out there were serious questions about his durability, injury history, his lack of polish (6 fouls per 40 minutes), turnovers, lower body strength, defensive and offensive awareness and even his motivation. His draft position was based on his rare physical gifts and great upside. But he was considered raw, like steak tartare-raw. But because he was so young there was time to work with him. Now here we are two years later. He hasn't played at all. There are still questions about his health. His first contract is halfway done. Why would anyone think his value has increased?

Here's the final flaw in your analysis - the odds are not close to the same between the a productive #3 pick and Embiid's future. The odds of selecting someone equal to or better than Reddick at #3 are fairly high. I went back a few years to get a more complete career track record of #3 picks: Otto Porter, Beal, Kanter, Favors, Harden, OJ Mayo (Westbrook was 4th), Hortford, Morrison, Deron Williams, Ben Gordon, 'Melo. I gotta tell you I like those odds. That's one true bust in Morrison (and consider the GM...). Porter is OK but not exceptional from a truly awful 2013 draft. Mayo is an under-performer.  But Kanter, Beal, Favors are all very solid players and are borderline stars. Harden, Hortford, Williams, Gordon and Melo were/are all All-Stars. Of course, Harden and Melo are considered superstars. Were ANY of those guys considered sure-fire superstars when they were drafted? Melo perhaps, but none of the others. Yet teams consistenly found very good players available in that spot.

So if the #3 pick has a 20% chance of a superstar, a 30% chance of getting an All-Star, a 30% chance of getting a solid player, a 10% chance of getting an average player and a 10% chance of a bust....well, those odds are far better than the odds on Embiid. At this stage you'd have to consider Embiid almost a 50/50 whether he ever plays meaningful minutes. That doesn't leave much room for the "superstar" and "All-Star" categories.

Embiid at this point isn't worth the #3 pick in any way, shape or form. Too many unknowns. Too many injuries. Too much learning still left to do. Whereas the #3 historically has been a far more sure-fire thing where All-Stars are routinely picked.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Ok look at it like this. 

Not my analysis.  I'm explaining the premise of the article, which I didn't write.   The idea is that the guys available at #3 have a "starter" ceiling and a "role player" floor.  So why not trade that for a "superstar ceiling" with a "n/a" floor.

Right now, the consensus seems to be that this is pretty weak draft and none of the guys available at #3 have star potential.    Of course this could prove to be wrong.

#3 for Embiid is essentially saying: "Give up a low risk/low reward for high risk/high reward".

Naturally, if you're someone who thinks Embiid's ceiling is greatly exaggerated... and a guy like Buddy Hield might end up better than Doug McDermott, it will change your perception of such a trade.

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Ok look at it like this. 

Not my analysis.  I'm explaining the premise of the article, which I didn't write.   The idea is that the guys available at #3 have a "starter" ceiling and a "role player" floor.  So why not trade that for a "superstar ceiling" with a "n/a" floor.

Right now, the consensus seems to be that this is pretty weak draft and none of the guys available at #3 have star potential.    Of course this could prove to be wrong.

#3 for Embiid is essentially saying: "Give up a low risk/low reward for high risk/high reward".

Naturally, if you're someone who thinks Embiid's ceiling is greatly exaggerated... and a guy like Buddy Hield might end up better than Doug McDermott, it will change your perception of such a trade.

Your the one who mentioned Reddick. Not the article.

FYI, there's no such consensus. This draft is commonly seen as neither strong nor weak and history has shown that there are almost always great players to pick at the third spot.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 05:58:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Ok look at it like this. 

Your the one who mentioned Reddick. Not the article.

True.  Reddick might be setting expectations too high.   Maybe Hield's ceiling/floor is more Doug McDermott/Jimmer Fredette.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Ok look at it like this. 

Yeah, this is good logic. If I knew Embiid really had a 50% chance of healing fully, I'd do this trade in a second (especially since he's 7'3 now...). But in reality, if Philly is offering him in a trade, it must be because their doctors are privately pessimistic.

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Ok look at it like this. 

It seems kind of wrong to say that Embiid has the upside of Hakeem.  If that's the case, Jalen Brown has the upside of Michael Jordan and Bender could be Dirk.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Ok look at it like this. 

It seems kind of wrong to say that Embiid has the upside of Hakeem.  If that's the case, Jalen Brown has the upside of Michael Jordan and Bender could be Dirk.

Except that several NBA scouts and analysts have been quoted as saying Embiid's ceiling was Hakeem, none have ever gone on record saying anything of the sort for Jaylen Brown, and the Dirk/Bender comparison's have been discussed by all analysts ad naseaum, so maybe that one is fair.

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Ok look at it like this. 

Yeah, this is good logic. If I knew Embiid really had a 50% chance of healing fully, I'd do this trade in a second (especially since he's 7'3 now...). But in reality, if Philly is offering him in a trade, it must be because their doctors are privately pessimistic.
For what it's worth, there has been no indication they are trying to trade him.  This came from a hardwoodhoudini article that suggested it might be a good idea to try trading for embiid.  I doubt embiid is available, because it's pretty unlikely they can get equal value for him at this point. I guess the idea is, if you straight up offered #3 for him, Philly might have to think about it, because there is still some inherent risk in embiid's situation and they might want a player more guaranteed to play.  Plus, they will need to trade one of two of those centers at some point ... So if they can get a reasonable offer for embiid, maybe they'd do it.

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Ok look at it like this. 

Except that several NBA scouts and analysts have been quoted as saying Embiid's ceiling was Hakeem, none have ever gone on record saying anything of the sort for Jaylen Brown, and the Dirk/Bender comparison's have been discussed by all analysts ad naseaum, so maybe that one is fair.

Pre-injury Embiid was the best prospect since AD. And now he's 7'3. It is no exaggeration to say that Embiid could be as great as Hakeem if he stays healthy... which is why the Sixers will not trade him, unless they are certain he will not stay healthy.

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I mostly agree with LarBrd33 here (which is a rarity).  If you make this kind of deal, you're buying a lottery ticket with long odds.

If Embiid could stay healthy and was committed, he's a top center in the league.  No doubt in my mind.  The likelihood of that happening is maybe in the 5-20% range.  That's one heck of a gamble.  Personally, I'm not willing to take that kind of risk.  We're well-situated and we don't need to roll those dice.