Author Topic: Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid  (Read 8322 times)

Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Came across an article that makes a case that Boston should try targeting Embiid instead of Okafor or Noel:  https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2016/05/25/boston-celtics-should-trade-for-embiid-not-okafor/

Would anyone have the guts to do that ?

Talk about super high risk super high reward. 

Semi related side note:  Chad Ford in a recent Q&A said that the Laker loved Okafor and might even consider trading the #2 pick to Philly for Okafor and the future 2017 Lakers pick that Philly owns. 

I only bring that up, because it's kind of crazy to imagine an offseason in which Philly dumped both Okafor and Embiid, kept Noel as their franchise center, and ended up with the top 3 picks in this draft (Simmons, Ingram and their pick of guards at 3)

Re: Would you trade #3 for Joel Embiid
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:00:52 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
He still drinking 14 slushies a day in bed in between workouts while he makes his $9millionth dollar having never played a game?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Hell. No.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:27:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Nope

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
In contrary to the direction of this thread, a tentative yes. If healthy, he is the best possible player we could acquire from philly.

He in theory is 80-90% of the offensive player of okafor and 70-80% the defensive player of noel, combined with elite rebounding, better shooting than either, and literally insane size. He supposedly is 7'2 without shoes (doubt it) but he's at least a 7'0 er who is insanely athletic and skilled.

He is the unicorn of our situation. If healthy, a superstar.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:46:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Only in NBA2K with injuries set to "off".

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 10:46:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Absolutely not.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Came across an article that makes a case that Boston should try targeting Embiid instead of Okafor or Noel:  https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2016/05/25/boston-celtics-should-trade-for-embiid-not-okafor/

Semi related side note:  Chad Ford in a recent Q&A said that the Laker loved Okafor and might even consider trading the #2 pick to Philly for Okafor and the future 2017 Lakers pick that Philly owns. 

I only bring that up, because it's kind of crazy to imagine an offseason in which Philly dumped both Okafor and Embiid, kept Noel as their franchise center, and ended up with the top 3 picks in this draft (Simmons, Ingram and their pick of guards at 3)

You know I would!  :)

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Negatory good buddy...

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I can't imagine Danny would ever do such a thing. He was the #3 pick in the draft two years ago and still hasn't played an NBA game, there is no way he is still worth a #3. That isn't to say he can't somehow find a way to be a productive NBA player, but you don't trade the best pick we've had since Billups on a guy who has yet to prove he can stay on the court, never mind prove to be a perennial all-star.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You know I would!  :)
tp

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 11:25:42 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Hmm.... trading the #3 pick (full rookie contract control for the third best player in this draft) for two years control (one guaranteed, one team option) on a guy who hasn't played in over two years and is of questionable status to play in this next one?

In the absence of further data regarding the long term health prospectus of young Mr. Embiid, I'll have to pass on this idea.

If someone could convince me that:

a) Embiid was 100% healed and not at risk for further injuries related to the foot stress fractures and
b) Embiid was 100% certain to be able to recover his game fitness and such that he isn't at extra risk to have some _other_ injury related to having gotten way out of shape and
c) Embiid was 100% certain to be able to recover his basketball skills to a high enough level to worth putting on an NBA court

then I could be convinced to think about this.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 12:11:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wouldn't.

I can completely understand why some people might say yes, but I think the risk with Embiid is just way, way too high.

If we had seen him play a solid rookie year with flashes of star potential, and THEN get injured and miss the following two seasons - maybe I'd take a chance.

If he only missed his single rookie season (e.g. Noel) but was looking healthy the following season, then maybe I'd take the chance.

But Embiid hasn't proven he can produce at the NBA level, and he hasn't proven he's capable of staying on the court.  Those two risks combined are too much for me to gamble on with such a high pick.

If I had another first round pick in the 6-10 range then I'd probably consider taking the gamble with that pick, but not #3.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 12:34:30 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Nope

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 12:48:29 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I *almost* would, but there is too much of an information gap. Philly withheld information about Jrue's injury when they traded him to the Pelicans, and if they made Embiid available, I would worry that they were up to the same game.

If it weren't for that, I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. His potential is off the charts, like most-dominant-center-since-Shaq off the charts. If you told me there was a 50% chance that he would be healthy the rest of his career, and a 50% chance he would never play another game, I would trade all of our picks in this draft for him.