Author Topic: J. Brown getting love from Draft Express..plus article.  (Read 5004 times)

Re: J. Brown getting love from Draft Express..plus article.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Consider me the CoachBo of distaste for Jaylen Brown

lol, made me laugh.

But yeah, I'm not a fan either.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm about as torn on Jaylen Brown as I am on Bender.  I love his size and athleticism, and despite his skills being very rudimentary at this point, he seems to have the body control and co-ordination required to improve on those skills.

I remember when Russell Westbrook entered the draft as a low-skilled, raw freak athlete.

I do find it somewhat puzzling that some of the folks who are all about swing-for-the-fences with upside (Bender) are so down on the possibility of drafting Brown.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'm about as torn on Jaylen Brown as I am on Bender.  I love his size and athleticism, and despite his skills being very rudimentary at this point, he seems to have the body control and co-ordination required to improve on those skills.

I remember when Russell Westbrook entered the draft as a low-skilled, raw freak athlete.

I do find it somewhat puzzling that some of the folks who are all about swing-for-the-fences with upside (Bender) are so down on the possibility of drafting Brown.

Me too and I get suspicious when too many voices in unison go in one direction. Maybe Kedrick Brown, Gerald Green and JR Giddens caused more trauma than previously thought. 

If you forced me to make picks 3-7 in terms of future outcome (regardless of teams) I'd rank them:
Dunn, Murray, Hield, Bender, Brown in that order.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think it's due to his shooting. The team struggles shooting as it is, so adding another non-shooter would leave a bit of a bad taste in people's mouths
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 09:06:15 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I like Jaylen Brown...at 7-9, not 3. The upside is certainly there, but he really has little more to work with than an impressive body.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I like the idea of Brown as a decent rotation backup for Crowder to take some minutes guarding elite wing players. That isn't worth #3 though, and trying to develop him into anything more will be very frustrating.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just have no idea what role Brown would play on a good team without a ton of improvement in multiple areas.

With Bender I feel pretty confident he will have a role so long as he adds muscle and his jumper translates to the NBA well enough to hit spot up threes.  Those aren't guaranteed to happen but they seem like a better bet than hoping a guy with mediocre playmaking and terrible shooting will become an efficient offensive player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08:05 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

I like Jaylen Brown...at 7-9, not 3. The upside is certainly there, but he really has little more to work with than an impressive body.

I also like him around 6-8
I can see denver wanting him
it would allow them to trade gallinari and/or chandler to help with their rebuild

Brown needs to distinguish himself at a skill and polish areas of his game as he already has good physical tools, athleticism and intelligence needed to thrive at the NBA level

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
J. Brown now #3 on D.E.  Hasn't dropped below 4 like he has on most other sites.

Here is a nice artlce which sheds light on Brown's personality.
http://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

Does such a personality
fit on the Celts?  I think it could.
Question remains about potential though.  (I picture Dunn having the better career).

This is my worst case scenario for the #3. Won't be happy at all with Brown. Bender/Murray/Hield are all much better options IMO

Agreed, TP. Brown would come in as the worst perimeter shooter on this team, making their biggest weakness even weaker. We would be praying for him to improve to a Marcus Smart level 3 point shooter.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It's cool that he's so smart and such an individual. I respect that. Still do not want him at #3, but I hope he has a career in the NBA.

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 12:21:32 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Jaylen Brown is a really hard guy to read, in terms of potential.

On one hand, he has god good size, great strength and great athleticism for the Small Forward spot along with the physical tools to be able to play as a small ball PF in some lineups. 

On the other hand, he doesn't look like much more then a role play or a 5th / 6th man to me in his current state.  Doesn't seem to be a great scorer, great ball handler, great passer or great shooter - and I'm not sure if he has the ability to become either of those things.

But then if you look at guys with similar game and physicals to Brown from the past (Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Jae Crowder, Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, Butler, Ariza, etc) pretty much all of those guys have become contributers at the NBA level.  That means the actual floor on Brown is probably reasonably high - it's hard to see him not becoming at least a solid starter, and history seems to suggest he has a fairly good chance at becoming a fringe star.

Ultimately I think that Brown is a good pick if you're selecting anywhere in the #5 - #8 range, but I feel he's a major reach with anything in the #1 - #4 range.

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 06:05:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I've got him #4 and he'd be my 2nd choice behind Bender. If Ainge is torn on the two and Phoenix really likes someone then it might fit with the #3 for #4 and #13 that people were suggesting.

Shooting is a big concern for him however he does defend well, slash well and have great physical attributes. So if you can be convinced that he will work hard on his game and doesn't have any uncorrectable hitches then he's a great pick.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:13 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
We dont need another player who can't shoot the basketball. We obviously saw that in the series against Atlanta. Conversely, he could turn out be a good shooter in the future, but I wouldn't take the risk at #3.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I think it's due to his shooting. The team struggles shooting as it is, so adding another non-shooter would leave a bit of a bad taste in people's mouths

It's funny because the need that gets beaten to death about this team is shooting but an underrated need is athleticism. All of our athletes are 6'2 and under.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:55:13 AM by jr_3421 »
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
The future of the league is this and only this:

Creators: tough, strong, explosive, fight through contact, hit shoot and catch guys in their chest

Shooters: hit shots

Defense: defend well

Rebounding can be taught.

Brown fits category 1 (and 3, sort of) perfectly.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.