Author Topic: Idea: BOS / MIN / CHI draft day trade  (Read 2154 times)

Idea: BOS / MIN / CHI draft day trade
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
BOS trades: #3 pick, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Amir Johnson, #16 pick, #35 pick (or a future protected 1st)
BOS receives: Jimmy Butler, Damjan Rudez, #5 pick (take Marquise Chriss)

CHI trades: Jimmy Butler
CHI receives: #3 pick, Marcus Smart, Amir Johnson, Tyus Jones, #35 pick (or a future protected 1st)

MIN trades: #5 pick
MIN receives: Jae Crowder, #16 pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zngyhj5

======================

For Boston: move back two slots in the draft to take Chriss. I want Chriss -- he has HUGE upside (but risk, like all picks). I'm all about the Cs swinging for the fences in the lottery, and he fits the bill. In fact, I'm worried PHX may take him at 4.

If you don't like Chriss, insert your favorite remaining player here. Swap Smart and Crowder for Butler.

For Minny: Thibs gets a versatile, tough veteran, and doesn't have to develop a lottery pick (likely his preference considering the youth of their roster). He takes an NBA ready role guy at #23, or a draft and stash.

For Chicago: a pretty nice haul for Butler. Helps them rebuild on the fly.

======================

Ok folks... shred it up....

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:17:46 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Idea: BOS / MIN / CHI draft day trade
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:14:09 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
No way Minny does that.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:19:53 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No way Minny does that.

Yeah he would need to give Minnesota much more.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
No way Minny does that.

Yeah he would need to give Minnesota much more.

Good, because I wouldn't do it either. I think people have forgotten just how good Crowder (and his contract) actually is. Would they value Bradley more than Crowder? I would much rather keep Jae than Bradley. Minny should be keeping Jones and be taking the #35 in this trade scenario; Chicago is already killing it with #3 and Smart.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Wait a minute, Chriss at #5? I didn't see that originally. He may end up being a stud, but he is like a 10-14 prospect right now, not #5. If that is who you want, then we should be able to bring another team in pretty easily - using #16 to move up to that range wouldn't take more than the #23 and maybe another 2nd.

Otherwise, I take Dunn/Hield/Murray at #5 since I am trading away Smart and Bradley.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
 Jae Crowder isn't worth 11 slots in the draft for a team that's tired of being In the lottery, and now run by a famously impatient coach?

As for Chriss being a 10-14 guy, I seriously doubt it. You can't teach what this dude has. Someone is going to take a chance on him earlier.

Meanwhile, drafting for need in the top 5 is what bad NBA franchises do.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The idea is good and sound.  But I agree give a bit more to Minny and a bit less to Chicago, and reduce Boston's pain a bit...pick 23 or 31 instead of 16, or some other way.  Smart, Crowder, Amir and #3 and 16 is enough that we can be selfish.

I'd be tempted to take Dunn at 5 if he were still there.

Dunn, Rozier
IT, Bradley
Butler, Taurean Prince (16th pick), Rudez
KO, Rudez, Mickey

Chriss will definitely tempt Danny though I'd think.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 03:38:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
The idea is good and sound.  But I agree give a bit more to Minny and a bit less to Chicago, and reduce Boston's pain a bit...pick 23 or 31 instead of 16, or some other way.  Smart, Crowder, Amir and #3 and 16 is enough that we can be selfish.

I'd be tempted to take Dunn at 5 if he were still there.

Dunn, Rozier
IT, Bradley
Butler, Taurean Prince (16th pick), Rudez
KO, Rudez, Mickey

Chriss will definitely tempt Danny though I'd think.

Don't forget about Free Agency...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Jae Crowder isn't worth 11 slots in the draft for a team that's tired of being In the lottery, and now run by a famously impatient coach?

As for Chriss being a 10-14 guy, I seriously doubt it. You can't teach what this dude has. Someone is going to take a chance on him earlier.

True about Crowder, but then why trade him at all if Minny doesn't really have a need/desire for him? He is extremely valuable due to his contract and continued increased production. He also missed NBA All-Defense 2nd team by one vote. The trades seem like they could be broken into two different ones:

-#3 and Smart for Butler (not crazy about this, but I understand that some people are)

-#16, #23, #35 for #10 or #11 and take Chriss.

Obviously just drafting for need at the top of the draft would be short-sighted, I was just naming other top prospect guards who all happen to fall within our would-be range at #5 that will likely be selected higher than Chriss based on scouting, not position.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Looks realistic, except Minnesota won't move #5 for Crowder, esp when they have Wiggins.  Keep Smart, give Chicago Bradley instead, and sweeten the deal somehow for Minnesota.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd rather just keep Smart, Crowder and the picks. I like Butler and thinks that's a reasonable price from Chicago's end, but I'd prefer to keep what we have and build on that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

True about Crowder, but then why trade him at all if Minny doesn't really have a need/desire for him? He is extremely valuable due to his contract and continued increased production. He also missed NBA All-Defense 2nd team by one vote. The trades seem like they could be broken into two different ones:

-#3 and Smart for Butler (not crazy about this, but I understand that some people are)

-#16, #23, #35 for #10 or #11 and take Chriss.

Obviously just drafting for need at the top of the draft would be short-sighted, I was just naming other top prospect guards who all happen to fall within our would-be range at #5 that will likely be selected higher than Chriss based on scouting, not position.

I hear you.

I'm saying two things here:

1) I don't buy Chriss making it past 7, maybe 8, and he could go as high as 3 or 4.

2) I don't follow your point about Crowder not being desirable to Minny. I think he'd be highly desirable  to Thibadeau, which is why they'd give up the 5th pick to get him.

The deals would more or less be separated, but the throw ins work better as a three-way. Ainge could basically craft both deals separately, then make the calls to each bringing it into one deal at the end. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Looks realistic, except Minnesota won't move #5 for Crowder, esp when they have Wiggins.  Keep Smart, give Chicago Bradley instead, and sweeten the deal somehow for Minnesota.

I knew someone would say this.... what part of today's NBA would prevent Crowder and Wiggins from sharing the floor?

To me, a player profile like Crowder's is basically exactly what Minny needs.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I knew someone would say this.... what part of today's NBA would prevent Crowder and Wiggins from sharing the floor?

OK, fair enough.  So you just play Wiggins at the 2 or Crowder at the 4.  I'm with you.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

My response about Crowder not be desirable was what I thought you were saying (not worth 11 slots to move up in the lottery). If he is exactly what Minny needs, then that should be a no-brainer for them.