Author Topic: Curry being a horrible defender is overblown  (Read 3477 times)

Re: Curry being a horrible defender is overblown
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Adams also has an ankle injury. You can see how it's affected his game. That is, if you have watched his games...
C'mon donn't go there. What exactly is Adams game? Have you seen his game? He's a blue collar center. He set picks and plays defense. Period.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
So you clearly haven't been watching his games in the playoffs if that's your assessment. Because he was absolutely destroying the rim against the Spurs and early on in this series.

He can't even reliably connect for alley-oops anymore. But it doesn't matter, because he's healthy enough to play. Same with Steph. Who, funnily enough, has still managed to play solid defense on Westbrook these playoffs despite being "injured." Somehow he's just willing himself to play good defense, move his feet side-to-side, and keep up with Russell Westbrook, of all people, despite this...

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
So you clearly haven't been watching his games in the playoffs if that's your assessment. Because he was absolutely destroying the rim against the Spurs and early on in this series.

He can't even reliably connect for alley-oops anymore. But it doesn't matter, because he's healthy enough to play. Same with Steph. Who, funnily enough, has still managed to play solid defense on Westbrook these playoffs despite being "injured." Somehow he's just willing himself to play good defense, move his feet side-to-side, and keep up with Russell Westbrook, of all people, despite this...

I have watched his "growth" during the playoffs and I must say I am positively surprised and glad because he's a nice guy, plays tough ball giving his heart every night. But, you can't compare his game to Stephs, he's guard. Adams is not new Cousins, he's solid player, he's doing his job very well and that's one of the biggest reasons why they are in wc finals.   

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Adams' game is very much so predicated on his explosiveness, which he's noticeably lacking since tweaking his back and ankle in Game 2. He's decent now. He was legitimately really good before those injuries. But again, if he's able to step on the court and play, none of that's an excuse. Everyone's dealing with injuries right now.

And my point about bringing up Steph's defense is that people are pulling out the injury excuse as though he hasn't been pretty good at guarding Westbrook. Wouldn't one expect Steph's defense to suffer if he were injured?

He had a couple of bad games. It happens to everyone. Let's not rush to make excuses for the guy for being "injured."

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Steph's problem in the first 4 games seemed to be a lot more about making sloppy plays than being hurt.  Lazy behind-the-back passes, jumping half-spin passes to Bogut on the perimeter that sail out of bounds.  Trick dribbling with defenders breathing down his neck from all sides.  That little half-twirl after releasing a 3.  Until last night he was playing like it was a meaningless regular season game rather than a hotly contested WCF.  I think the wins came too easily to him and led to some bad habits that have been tough to shake when the games got competitive.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Bballbreakdown has a video claiming that Curry is an elite defender. I don't agree, but I do think he's underrated on that end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKCyNvnt7k
ditto
i always say to my friends that no one speaks about his defense. on more occasions than not he plays A grade defense.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 03:30:53 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think Curry's defense is usually appropriately blown.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson