Author Topic: The Lakers Top-3 protected pick  (Read 1263 times)

The Lakers Top-3 protected pick
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:24 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Where do people think the Lakers will sit next year?

We have an interesting scenario where the power struggle at the top means they will try and pull in the FAs but a pick situation and current roster that suggests they should stay at the bottom one more year.

Jim Buss is out if they don't make the playoffs next year (lol) so he's going to want to lure guys like Derozan in FA and Cousins in trade.

However next year's draft class looks great already, even if one or two fall off the hype wagon there are 4 or 5 good shots at superstars. Furthermore if they don't convey in 2017 then their pick owed to Orlando in 2019 becomes two 2nds. Double the reason to suck.

The 2017 draft class may also be more enticed into coming to LA. Westbrook, Paul, possibly Durant, Griffin, Rose, maybe Lebron James.

I think they make enough moves to leave the top 3 but get nowhere near the playoffs. Pick 7-10. If I could get my hands on that pick I would

Re: The Lakers Top-3 protected pick
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 05:10:10 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The 2017 draft class may also be more enticed into coming to LA. Westbrook, Paul, possibly Durant, Griffin, Rose, maybe Lebron James.

I liked the signing of Walton and they were lucky to keep their pick this year. Things could easily have turned out worse for them.

IMO their best assets are the pick and DLo. Other than that they have a nice core of young players but are unlikely to make the playoffs without upgrading this core.

About the bit I quoted, IMO it is too optimistic: Westbrook and Paul are unlikely to be traded; Griffin might be traded but at a high price; LBJ and Durant are not going to LAL. As for Rose, I doubt he is now in the same league as the other players mentioned.

PS their pick for next season is owned by Philly.

Re: The Lakers Top-3 protected pick
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:20:11 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Yeah I know it's owned by Philly, must have forgotten to put that in my OP. I'd love to target that pick in a deal with them. Worst case you are getting another unprotected pick in 2018.

There's no way they get anyone elite in 2017 FA, I just mean it looks more enticing than this year for both players and LA. Especially if they want to go from bottom 3 to playoffs in a year.