Author Topic: Ainge's master plan  (Read 6453 times)

Re: Ainge's master plan
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
A healthy Rose, Butler, and Noah couldn’t get it done even with a good supporting cast.   I don’t want to mortgage the future for a lesser version of a team that wasn’t good enough.    I’d take Noah on the cheap but I’d rather over pay for Howard.   For what has been reported as the asking price for Butler, I’m not interested.   The best I’d do for Butler is Thomas, Bradley, and picks 16 & 23.  I do not want to give up the third pick.  I was excited about Bender long before the 2015 draft, just like I’m excited about
Jonathan Isaac in the 2017 draft.

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I agree Ainge likes  Isaiah.  I think we are building around him or through the draft.  Why I think Jackie Mac isn't making sense.   Paying big money for Conley and Noah might improve our talent level and trade options but it doesn't do much else.  We payed Amir big money which is basically what Noah is.  Noah is a bit better potentially. David Lee didn't work here as this team is constructed and I'm not sure how Conley and Noah would help us either except create more of a logjam.

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
That's what I mean.  I just have no idea why Jackie Mac had us throwing big money at mike conley. 

Mike Conley is arguably the best player available as a free agent.  One can still argue that the Celtics would be best off with Conley at PG and someone like IT coming off the bench as 6th man.  I don't agree with it, but you could argue that.

Also, IT is under contract for 2 more years.  Meaning that after next year, he becomes a trade asset for sure since he will want to get paid.  Would you rather lock Conley up for 5 years now, at a price that is less that what you would pay IT in 2 years?  Possibly.

That's the only argument I can see.

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Mike Conley is Constantly Injured....no to him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:12 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
That's what I mean.  I just have no idea why Jackie Mac had us throwing big money at mike conley. 

Mike Conley is arguably the best player available as a free agent.  One can still argue that the Celtics would be best off with Conley at PG and someone like IT coming off the bench as 6th man.  I don't agree with it, but you could argue that.

Also, IT is under contract for 2 more years.  Meaning that after next year, he becomes a trade asset for sure since he will want to get paid.  Would you rather lock Conley up for 5 years now, at a price that is less that what you would pay IT in 2 years?  Possibly.

That's the only argument I can see.

We have Smart who could be a better player than Conley in 2 years.  Why cut into his development.  What's weird to me is Jackie Mac is a basketball columnist and she is treating this like it's baseball or football or something.   I like Conley and can see the appeal if we are going to make a move for another player and have to trade Isaiah to do that but otherwise it makes no sense.  There are only so many roster spots in the NBA.   I also think how Ainge is doing this he is much more loyal than people give him credit for.  Yeah anyone is tradeable in the right situation but Ainge has more vision than the media likes to make it seem sometimes. Jackie Mac was right about Rondo but she is wrong a lot too. It's like Tanguay yeah the guy might hit the broad side of a barn every so often.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:33:53 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm pretty sure it's an open secret that Conley is going to the Spurs

That is what I was thinking.  But who knows?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 08:17:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If a trade like the following goes down:

To PHIL: IT
To CHI : Okafor
To BOS: Butler

After the free agency period begins so Boston and Philly can just absorb salary, maybe send the draft rights of a drafted player or extra player on rosters accordingly to even things up, then I could see Boston signing Conley. This could coincide with a draft day deal where:

To BOS: Blake Griffin
To LAC: Amir, Jerebko, Smart, #3, Young

So Boston could then have as a future base

Conley, Rozier
Butler, Bradley
Crowder
Griffin, Olynyk, Mickey
???

Of course the big question is who plays center? But could Noah be a short term fix to solve that problem? Even with his reported conflicts with Butler? Could they put things aside for a team made up of that much talent 1 through 7? Noah as a fifth option on offense being a rebounding defensive anchor that happens to be the best passing center in the league with Conley, Butler, Crowder and Griffin sounds pretty dang good with Bradley as your 6th man and KO as your first big off the bench able to play cwnter with Blake and PF with Noah.

And of course maybe the Cs get lucky and land Maker in the later first or 2nd round and have him develop for a couple years on this team and after two years of Noah he becomes a hybrid 4/5.

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
If a trade like the following goes down:

To PHIL: IT
To CHI : Okafor
To BOS: Butler

After the free agency period begins so Boston and Philly can just absorb salary, maybe send the draft rights of a drafted player or extra player on rosters accordingly to even things up, then I could see Boston signing Conley. This could coincide with a draft day deal where:

To BOS: Blake Griffin
To LAC: Amir, Jerebko, Smart, #3, Young

So Boston could then have as a future base

Conley, Rozier
Butler, Bradley
Crowder
Griffin, Olynyk, Mickey
???

Of course the big question is who plays center? But could Noah be a short term fix to solve that problem? Even with his reported conflicts with Butler? Could they put things aside for a team made up of that much talent 1 through 7? Noah as a fifth option on offense being a rebounding defensive anchor that happens to be the best passing center in the league with Conley, Butler, Crowder and Griffin sounds pretty dang good with Bradley as your 6th man and KO as your first big off the bench able to play cwnter with Blake and PF with Noah.

And of course maybe the Cs get lucky and land Maker in the later first or 2nd round and have him develop for a couple years on this team and after two years of Noah he becomes a hybrid 4/5.
What are you smoking. I guess fantasy happens. I see trades after we sign JJ and Amir if no one commits quickly. DA will trade anyone but IT is the Celtics at the moment. We have PG covered.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek