Author Topic: Ainge's master plan  (Read 6458 times)

Re: Ainge's master plan
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
DA has been after IT for many years. he is not just a trade chip.
I know with DA no one is safe, but he really loves IT.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Sign an all star point and move Thomas to the shooting guard?

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 09:43:40 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Ainge has no master plan beyond acquiring assets, maintaining flexibility, and being in a position to strike when a big opportunity comes along, whether that be in the draft, via a trade, or through free agency. 

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ainge has always proven he is about value and being able to sign a top-level PG without giving up any assets is exactly something I would expect Ainge to pursue. Noah also makes sense because of his defensive ability and passing. Since he had a down year, I certainly expect Ainge to take a look at him.

I think most of us would be really bummed if IT was just shipped off for peanuts, but it's possible IT isn't going anywhere in this scenario (except back to the bench). Another deal(s) could already be in place for Smart/AB and the #3 pick. Unfortunately we just have to be patient.

Exactly. If you traded AB and #3 for Butler and added MC and Noah that would be a big upgrade from last year.

I don't think Noah would sign here if we traded for Butler
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I can see Isaiah moving by trade if Rozier became an allstar caliber PG
And ainge needed to make more playing time and was able to get the same or higher value for Thomas e.g. A jimmy butler trade

But unlikely ainge trades Thomas this off-season even if we selected another PG with our 3rd pick
Thomas is entering his prime
Is an all star
And is on a bargain of a contract which will skyrocket with the new salary cap

DeRozier!   :laugh:

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I could see us targeting Conley and Noah if Ainge managed to also trade for, say, Jimmy Butler and Carmelo, or something like that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd love to have Mike Conley here. Not the scorer IT is but a better all-round PG.

I worry a bit about Joakim Noah because of the lack of offense on the perimeter. This team is overly reliant on floor spacing from it's bigs because of the limitations of it's perimeter players offensively.

Agreed.

And the idea that Conley and IT are mutually exclusive is wrong. IT could slide off the ball very easily, as we've seen.

I like the idea of Conley; Noah not so much.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Getting conley and Noah would be a very bad idea in my opinion. I think conley has alot of basketball left and he is a very good player, I just think acquiring him would mean something would have to give in our pg situation. Having 4 pgs who atleast deserve a shot isn't a great look. Sure most of them can act as the off guard, but they are really point guards. Smart has made leaps and bounds with his PnR playmaking, and he will only get better. Rozier while he has a long way to go, shows he deserves to atleast be in the rotation. IT may be the most effective at sliding to the 2, but that isn't the best use of his abilities.

Noah, pass. Getting Noah would mean we are going all in on the IT4 celtics, and I'm not sure I want that. I dont see a particularly high ceiling with that era, and I don't see it lasting too long. Please be wrong Jackie, dont let Noah be the answer.

Thats not even mentioning that we have been witnessing Noah's wheels falling recently.
#JKJB

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'm pretty sure it's an open secret that Conley is going to the Spurs

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd be surprised if Ainge pursues Conley.  We've got great guards in place on team friendly deals.  Front court, different story.  I expect Ainge's is still very much in pursuit of Cousins. 

Sacramento is at something of a crossroads, moving into that new arena and all.  Demarcus has burnt the bridge so many times, I could see them making drastic changes for an all new look to 're-brand' the team.  And who knows, maybe Vlade has some intel from overseas that this Bender kid is legit and is getting keen on the idea? 

If so, wouldn't a deal of Bender(#3), #16, #23 + Crowder, Rozier & Jerbko look pretty good to Vlade right now?

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We needs the Boogie Man

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I find the Conley idea hard to fathom based on the relationship the team seems to be building with and around IT. He is openly recruiting players to Boston and seems to be a player DA realy likes.

Noah on the other hand makes a ton of sense to me. He plays an almost identical role to Amir but is an all around superior player. Where he lacks in perimeter offense he is an elite passing big man this would allow him to fit in really well with the Cs style. He is also an elite rebounder and he would potential cover for the likely loss of Sully. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 11:55:16 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Noah is not the same player he was a few years ago. While amir can actually still finish at the rim, this ability has left Noah. They bring similar levels of defense and Noah is the better rebounder. I don't want to see the celtics jump on that dumpster fire.
#JKJB

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
We needs the Boogie Man

It's the best possible outcome of this offseason.
#JKJB

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Ainge has always proven he is about value and being able to sign a top-level PG without giving up any assets is exactly something I would expect Ainge to pursue. Noah also makes sense because of his defensive ability and passing. Since he had a down year, I certainly expect Ainge to take a look at him.

I think most of us would be really bummed if IT was just shipped off for peanuts, but it's possible IT isn't going anywhere in this scenario (except back to the bench). Another deal(s) could already be in place for Smart/AB and the #3 pick. Unfortunately we just have to be patient.

Exactly. If you traded AB and #3 for Butler and added MC and Noah that would be a big upgrade from last year.

I don't think Noah would sign here if we traded for Butler

Do they not get along? I thought the problem was with the Bulls front office?