Author Topic: What are some potential Lopez deals for Brooklyn?  (Read 2769 times)

What are some potential Lopez deals for Brooklyn?
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:52:18 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I still think there might be a chance that this new management in Brooklyn could blow it up and go the long route, especially with their new head coach renowned for his player development. I think this will be especially true if (when) they whiff on free agents this summer. That being said, what would be some good Lopez trades that would get them some young talent in there for the longer rebuild, while also ensuring their spot as a bottom-three team for our pick next year?

Here's a couple that I think make sense:

Trade 1 -

Toronto: Lopez

Brooklyn: Valanciunas, #9 pick

Trade 2A -

Phoenix: Lopez, Young

Brooklyn: Chandler, Len, #4

Trade 2B -

Phoenix: Lopez

Brooklyn: Knight/Bledsoe (whoever they're not wanting to pair with Booker in the backcourt) and #13

I think the Toronto trade is actually a pretty good trade for both sides. Lopez completes their "Big 3" and adds a more reliable inside scoring presence for them inside, while Brooklyn gets a young center prospect locked up long-term and a mid lottery pick to add another young good prospect to their squad.

Phoenix also seems like a good trading partner. If Bender doesn't fall to 4 and they don't end up trading down in the draft, then there's not really any good options for them given their roster makeup other than reaching on Jaylen Brown at 4. Getting Lopez and Young for the #4 and Len is a pretty good deal to make them a playoff contender again in the West, or swapping one of their point guards for Lopez would also give them a better constructed roster with more talent. For Brooklyn, they'd add either a good young prospect at 4 or an above average guard locked up long-term and a late lottery pick.

What other potential deals can you think of that could ultimately ensure that Brooklyn is a bottom-three team next year?

Re: What are some potential Lopez deals for Brooklyn?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:04:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wow way over valuing Lopez. He isn't worth a top 10 pick let alone those packages. They need to target 2 later first and teams that can absorb his cap. C's, Nugets, or Suns

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:11:06 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Huge overpays for Brook. Lopez isn't worth Valanciunas, #4, etc. straight up, never mind adding valuable assets such as #9, Knight/Bledsoe, etc. to get him.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:21:54 AM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:13:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Since they still have no incentive to lose, I expect them to make a hard run at free agents this summer.  Pencil them in for major overpay that might actually improve them a bit.

Since doubting their ineptitude worked out so well for us last year, I'm gonna keep it going.  Their starting lineup (when healthy) was actually really effective last season.  It was their depth that was atrocious.  It's not unfathomable that they will sign a couple guys to make them competitive enough to win 35+ next season.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:16:22 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I agree with everyone else: Lopez is not worth that much.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:17:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Since they still have no incentive to lose, I expect them to make a hard run at free agents this summer.  Pencil them in for major overpay that might actually improve them a bit.

Since doubting their ineptitude worked out so well for us last year, I'm gonna keep it going.  Their starting lineup (when healthy) was actually really effective last season.  It was their depth that was atrocious.  It's not unfathomable that they will sign a couple guys to make them competitive enough to win 35+ next season.
Positive way to think about bad predictions lol

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Hmm, perhaps I'm overvaluing him a bit, but I don't think you guys are quite giving him enough credit.

The dude averaged 20.6 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 2 assists on 51% shooting and 78% free throw shooting. That's pretty legit. And it's not just due to him being on a really bad team this year, either, because those are right on par with his career numbers. I mean, those are All-Star numbers if his team wasn't as bad as it was.

Honestly, if one of Simmons or Ingram doesn't fall and we aren't able to trade for another star, I'd do what I could to nab him.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:40:07 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Wow way over valuing Lopez. He isn't worth a top 10 pick let alone those packages. They need to target 2 later first and teams that can absorb his cap. C's, Nugets, or Suns

What would you give up for him then? Obviously not number three, but would you give up something like Rozier, #16, and #23 for him? In all honesty, Bender/KO would both actually be ideal fours next to Lopez. Talk about some size in the frontcourt!

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Lopez had an Amazing season--and the Nets still had the 3rd worst record. He hardly ever stays healthy for an entire season. 2017 might be more of the same,maybe worse if Lopez plays his usual amount of games (like 50).

If they can't sign a good FA or two, I would expect Brooklyn to hold onto him til the trade deadline.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

What would you give up for him then? Obviously not number three, but would you give up something like Rozier, #16, and #23 for him? In all honesty, Bender/KO would both actually be ideal fours next to Lopez. Talk about some size in the frontcourt!

I say leave Brooklyn alone, to stew in their own juices---any move we might make with them, would probably hurt our future picks.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 01:48:42 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I say leave Brooklyn alone, to stew in their own juices---any move we might make with them, would probably hurt our future picks.

I don't think so. If they're looking mostly for young prospects/picks, then losing Lopez is three times worse than anything they'd gain from us in the short-term. If that deal above happened, then they'd unequivocally be the worst team in the league next year without Lopez, which is why trading for Lopez would actually make twice the amount of sense for us - it assures us of a top pick in 2017 and makes us better at the same time.

If they'd do something like Rozier, Sully S&T, #16, and #23 for Lopez, then I think we'd be crazy not to take it just for the very fact of it virtually guaranteeing them to be the worst team in the league next year.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 01:53:55 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Hmm, perhaps I'm overvaluing him a bit, but I don't think you guys are quite giving him enough credit.

The dude averaged 20.6 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 2 assists on 51% shooting and 78% free throw shooting. That's pretty legit. And it's not just due to him being on a really bad team this year, either, because those are right on par with his career numbers. I mean, those are All-Star numbers if his team wasn't as bad as it was.

Honestly, if one of Simmons or Ingram doesn't fall and we aren't able to trade for another star, I'd do what I could to nab him.
I think his block numbers make him look like a much better defender than he actually is and more importantly, someone's gotta put up stats on A terrible team.

I'd say he's worth a 8-12 range pick
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:54:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

JJ, 16, 23 and 45 sounds right to me. But as others have said C's might be better off letting Nets suffer where they are as Lopez is a big contract. Still I don't mind if we help their rebuild come sooner and set them up nicely for 2018 season to bounce back. At least 2017s pick would be guaranteed to be high again. Think it makes sense for both clubs as C's are the best partner.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 01:59:30 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

JJ, 16, 23 and 45 sounds right to me. But as others have said C's might be better off letting Nets suffer where they are as Lopez is a big contract. Still I don't mind if we help their rebuild come sooner and set them up nicely for 2018 season to bounce back. At least 2017s pick would be guaranteed to be high again. Think it makes sense for both clubs as C's are the best partner.

I just can't imagine that they'd get any better by adding three middling picks and JJ while losing Lopez. I think if you're a Celtics fan, then you make that deal every day and twice on Sunday. They'll have tons of cap space next summer anyways, so it's helping them all that much, especially the quality of those picks. Lopez is also only under contract for two more years, too, so it's not like it's that big of a commitment.

I bet they'd try hard for one of their picks back, though. At the very least they'd try and get our 2018 pick, since they won't have a pick in that draft.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Those picks are not bad for this draft as someone good will slide to 16
 And then you can gamble at 23 on a high upside big there will be a few available.
At 45 there are a ton of seniors that are good to add that should be okay off the bench in another year.

I think they can realistically add one good starter and two good back ups. To do that and get out of the contract is good.