Author Topic: Was the MCW trade a bad one?  (Read 4494 times)

Re: Was the MCW trade a bad one?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It was a bad move, yes.

But for the Bucks not Philly.

I don't even think it was that bad for the Bucks,  the Suns came out the worst

Absolutely. That day was a massive head scratcher for their fans. At least we benefited!
The whole day was weird for the Suns but the Brandon Knight trade wasn't that bad.  Suns acquired Knight and Marshall and gave up the Tyler Ennis, Miles Plumlee, and the Lakers pick which still hasn't transferred yet.  Ennis and Plumlee are rotation players at best.  Knight is a 20/5/4 type player.

True but no way that deal goes down without the others first happening. They are too interrelated to treat separately.

I would still rank that Lakers pick as higher value than Knight

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Milwaukee Bucks get: Carter-Williams, Tyler Ennis, Miles Plumlee
Phoenix Suns get: Brandon Knight
Sixers get: Los Angeles Lakers' first-round pick (from Suns, top-5 protected)

By 2014 the Sixers were fully committed to the tanking process so why keep someone around who could win you maybe 5-6 more games and drop you down in drafting 2-3 spots potentially? Building long term assets. They also knew the Lakers were heading down a road of self destruction. Just needed time.

The Lakers pick the Sixers will be receiving is protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 and 1-3 in 2017 and unprotected in 2018, per RealGM.com

We know the Lakers went #2 in 15 and 16 so they're still waiting. I'd bet good money that they are better than the 3rd overall pick by 2017. Year without Kobe, new coach, Ingram or Simmons plus Russel, Randle, Clarkson, maybe DeRozen? Likely ends up in the 4-10 range.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

True but no way that deal goes down without the others first happening. They are too interrelated to treat separately.

[/quote]

IDK about that. Knight has been pretty good in Phx next to Bledsoe and is on a reasonable contract for his age.

That pick is still top3 protected in 2017 and then in 2018 unprotected. The Lakers will probably still miss the playoffs, even with a DeRozen type addition, but I don't think they'll be that bad in 16-17 and by 17-18 it'll only be worse for that pick since they'll have to be better.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 09:07:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

IDK about that. Knight has been pretty good in Phx next to Bledsoe and is on a reasonable contract for his age.

That pick is still top3 protected in 2017 and then in 2018 unprotected. The Lakers will probably still miss the playoffs, even with a DeRozen type addition, but I don't think they'll be that bad in 16-17 and by 17-18 it'll only be worse for that pick since they'll have to be better.

I think it's outside the top 3 next year but still in the top 10. Next year's draft class looks deep at the top so there is a very good chance of someone better than Knight coming from that pick. I'm not knocking Knight, he's been good but I liked Phoenix's situation at the start of the day more than the end.

GAINED:

Players: Brandon Knight, Marcus Thornton, Danny Granger

Picks: Two first-round picks from Miami, Cleveland’s 2016 first round pick

LOST:

Players: Goran Dragic, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Ennis, Miles Plumlee, Zoran Dragic, Kendall Marshall (waived), John Salmons (waived)

Picks: Lakers’ 2015 top-5 protected pick (becomes top-3 protected next year)

The 3 best assets in those deals left Phoenix

EDIT: I suppose by becoming so bad they also improved their pick to #4 if you wish to count that...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:14:28 AM by TheSundanceKid »

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Bucks were better with Brandon Knight.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
A top 10 pick in a decent draft is worth way more than Mcw. Great trade.

I'm skeptical the Lakers will be any good next year. They'll be better than this year, probably, but they have a long way to go and nobody will seriously want to sign there.

Yup. I bet the pick will be ~6th. Most of the improvement will come from Kobe being gone.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think it's outside the top 3 next year but still in the top 10. Next year's draft class looks deep at the top so there is a very good chance of someone better than Knight coming from that pick. I'm not knocking Knight, he's been good but I liked Phoenix's situation at the start of the day more than the end.

GAINED:

Players: Brandon Knight, Marcus Thornton, Danny Granger

Picks: Two first-round picks from Miami, Cleveland’s 2016 first round pick

LOST:

Players: Goran Dragic, Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Ennis, Miles Plumlee, Zoran Dragic, Kendall Marshall (waived), John Salmons (waived)

Picks: Lakers’ 2015 top-5 protected pick (becomes top-3 protected next year)

The 3 best assets in those deals left Phoenix

EDIT: I suppose by becoming so bad they also improved their pick to #4 if you wish to count that...
Brandon Knight might very well be the best asset in those trades.  He is a very good player, very young, on a good contract, etc. 

They were going to lose Dragic so they had to move him.

Thomas they should have kept in retrospect, but there is a reason Thomas signed in Phoenix for the smallish contract he signed for.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's never a bad thing to trade away a bad player and get a first round pick in return.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It was a bad move, yes.

Looking back at the trade, I had forgotten about Plumlee and Ennis, which makes the deal better than I remembered for the Bucks.

Having said this, I still think that giving up their only reliable 3pt shooter (career %: 36.0) hurt the spacing of the Bucks. Moreover, the MCW experiment has not worked, Jason Kidd has moved Giannis to PG and he is shopping the market for MCW. IMO with hindsight, they would have been better off by simply keeping Knight; IMO they would have it to the playoffs this year. Generally speaking I have doubts about trusting Kidd with being simultaneously coach and GM.

Here is the trade:

PHO gave: Plumlee, Ennis, LAL pick
PHO received: Brandon Knight, Kendall Marshall (waived)

MIL gave: Brandon Knight, Kendall Marshall
MIL received: MCW, Plumlee, Ennis

PHI gave: MCW
PHI received: LAL pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12348809/milwaukee-bucks-get-michael-carter-williams-miles-plumlee-tyler-ennis-3-team-trade

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It was a bad move, yes.

Looking back at the trade, I had forgotten about Plumlee and Ennis, which makes the deal better than I remembered for the Bucks.

Having said this, I still think that giving up their only reliable 3pt shooter (career %: 36.0) hurt the spacing of the Bucks. Moreover, the MCW experiment has not worked, Jason Kidd has moved Giannis to PG and he is shopping the market for MCW. IMO with hindsight, they would have been better off by simply keeping Knight; IMO they would have it to the playoffs this year. Generally speaking I have doubts about trusting Kidd with being simultaneously coach and GM.

Here is the trade:

PHO gave: Plumlee, Ennis, LAL pick
PHO received: Brandon Knight, Kendall Marshall (waived)

MIL gave: Brandon Knight, Kendall Marshall
MIL received: MCW, Plumlee, Ennis

PHI gave: MCW
PHI received: LAL pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12348809/milwaukee-bucks-get-michael-carter-williams-miles-plumlee-tyler-ennis-3-team-trade
Bucks are the clear losers there.  Hard to say really with Phoenix because you just don't know about that pick.  I think the Sixers win even if the pick isn't very good, because MCW would have stunted the growth of the other young players on the Sixers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip