Author Topic: Does anyone still want Butler if it meant the #3 pick?  (Read 4673 times)

Re: Does anyone still want Butler if it meant the #3 pick?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Yes, as long as it also only costs one of Crowder, Bradkey, or Smart.

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Crowder needs to be our most untouchable player right now. I know he sucked in the playoffs and that is everybody's lasting memory of him, but he was injured. He was fantastic all year and only looks to be working harder and getting better. He is signed for four more years at $7M/yr, while our other great contracts - IT/AB/Smart only have two years left before they get a substantial raise. We need to keep Crowder in order to maintain future cap flexibility, as well as flexibility on the floor.

As for the trade - I am definitely backing off a trade that includes the #3 and two of AB/Smart/Crowder. A couple of weeks ago, there were national guys (on NBAtv or TNT) talking about how the #3 for Butler seemed like a good deal for both sides. I am with them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:06:27 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Try looking at it less from a Celtics point of view and more from a Bulls point of view. Chicago has an elite two way player in the prime of his career signed long term to what is now a below market contract.  It's going to take a very generous offer to pry him away or they will just keep him. Maybe something like #3, #16, Brooklyn 2018 and Bradley. That's quite a lot, but probably still worth doing. I'm less concerned about giving up teenagers and more concerned about keeping Crowder out of the deal.   

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Try looking at it less from a Celtics point of view and more from a Bulls point of view. Chicago has an elite two way player in the prime of his career signed long term to what is now a below market contract.  It's going to take a very generous offer to pry him away or they will just keep him. Maybe something like #3, #16, Brooklyn 2018 and Bradley. That's quite a lot, but probably still worth doing. I'm less concerned about giving up teenagers and more concerned about keeping Crowder out of the deal.   

Major, major overpay. He's not worth two potential top-five picks, let alone pick 16 AND a first team all-defense guard in addition to that.

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Major, major overpay. He's not worth two potential top-five picks, let alone pick 16 AND a first team all-defense guard in addition to that.

Agreed, that's too much.

Generally, though, I'm perfectly fine with trading 5 quarters for a Dollar. This is the NBA, and the team that gets the best player usually wins the deal.

We can't use all of our picks, anyway. Where are they going to play? We have one of the youngest teams in the league, already. We have eight picks in this draft, then another two next year, and another three in two years. We simply don't have the resources to develop them all.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:53:05 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Agreed, that's too much.

Generally, though, I'm perfectly fine with trading 5 quarters for a Dollar. This is the NBA, and the team that gets the best player usually wins the deal.

We can't use all of our picks, anyway. Where are they going to play? We have one of the youngest teams in the league, already. We have eight picks in this draft, then another two next year, and another three in two years. We simply don't have the resources to develop them all.

I agree with that view of the picks, with the exception of the Brooklyn picks. We legitimately have a chance at getting two more top-5 picks from them, so they're definitely more than just throw-ins on deals. I'd gladly give up 16 and 23 this year if it meant Butler, but not an additional Brooklyn pick.

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:56 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
If Butler is going to somehow lure a guy like Kevin Love here sure and start a domino effect. Then we can start talking about signing KD outright if he loses.   Until then we are sacrificing our future for a lot of hot air.

having isaiah and butler is probably better and more marketable by itself than isaiah and hield.  It depends on how Ainge feels about Bender I guess.

I think we somehow can build a super team of isaiah, butler, durant, love and a free agent like noah everyone is game then.  Crowder and smart and later picks plus this years pick.

That's the question though.  If we can put something together good enough to beat lebron and win now you obviously take that but otherwise not so much.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:45:12 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 03:36:12 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't understand how anybody would turn down an offer of Butler for #3. 

Butler is an All-Star who is a 20 PPG scorer and an All-Defensive teamer. Even with a top 2 pick, you should be very happy content with a player as good as Butler.  With a pick at #3 or beyond, you should be utterly thrilled.

Whoever we take at #3 most likely won't end up as good as Butler.  They might, but they probably won't.  Given the choice I'll give the #3 pick for Butler ANY DAY and throw either Smart or Rozier in there with it.   

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 03:55:22 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Straight up trade
Definitely do it
But chances are bulls want more
So we'd give up more assets and young players that are core to our team - smart, crower, Rozier, Mickey, olynyk
Without the core we r going backwards in the development of our team

Then once we get him
There won't be any franchise player to get through free agency
As by the looks of it, Durant isn't done in OKC with them on the cusp of getting back to the finals
We'd have to wait for Davis or cousins to enter free agency as we possibly give up most of our assets in the butler trade