Author Topic: Does anyone still want Butler if it meant the #3 pick?  (Read 4668 times)

Re: Does anyone still want Butler if it meant the #3 pick?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Remind me what the deal was?

It was all speculative.  But Danny supposedly low balled with 3 first round picks (#3, #16, and another future Memphis First) & Crowder for Butler.  Actually, they didn't mention Crowder, they just mentioned 'reserves'.

So who knows the actual offer.  They said that the Bulls wanted Crowder and I believe I heard Danny pulled it away at that point.  I think it was just more of a feel that Ainge was getting on the value the Bulls put on Butler.

What?!?!? Who were we bidding against?! The #3 overall is more than anyone else can offer for Butler.  If the Bulls think they can build a contender around Butler let them try.  They haven't been a true contender since D. Rose started getting injured.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

It was all speculative.  But Danny supposedly low balled with 3 first round picks (#3, #16, and another future Memphis First) & Crowder for Butler.  Actually, they didn't mention Crowder, they just mentioned 'reserves'.

So who knows the actual offer.  They said that the Bulls wanted Crowder and I believe I heard Danny pulled it away at that point.  I think it was just more of a feel that Ainge was getting on the value the Bulls put on Butler.

What?!?!? Who were we bidding against?! The #3 overall is more than anyone else can offer for Butler.  If the Bulls think they can build a contender around Butler let them try.  They haven't been a true contender since D. Rose started getting injured.

At the time though, I believe the Nets pick was at 4th best odds.  So that pick could've been 4, 5, 6, and even 7, right ? I believe it had an 11% chance of being at #1. 

Not that it is fixed at #3, things might have changes.  Who knows.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
3 and AB for Gibson and Butler works great for me.

I would do that and even throw in more of this years draft picks. But I'm not giving up future draft picks or Crowder. Honestly Butler will not make us a contender and is not a great player, he's a very good player but not a superstar. Our best chance to land a superstar is through the draft. To attract stars you need one on your team and almost every team gets their first star in the draft. I consider IT4 all-star level not top 10 talent by any means.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
My understanding is that Crowder wasn't available, which is why the proposed deal fell apart.

Otherwise, unless some major upset happens I don't expect the guy we pick with #3 to be better than Jimmy Butler in the long run, so there's that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
My understanding is that Crowder wasn't available, which is why the proposed deal fell apart.

Otherwise, unless some major upset happens I don't expect the guy we pick with #3 to be better than Jimmy Butler in the long run, so there's that.

That's a safe bet.

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

FWIW, Kupchak can offer the #2...

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Any pick they want any player(s) minus Thomas

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Nobody is really sure and for all we know, Butler isn't even really available, but it sounded like it would cost the #3 pick + two of the following players:  Crowder, Bradley, Smart.

It's a lot to pay for Ricky Butler.

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Remind us why he is called rickey butler?

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:27 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Yes.

Butler > #3
Butler > J.Okafor

All true.  But isn't it more like this:

Butler<#3, #16, Future First, & Crowder

Are you giving all that up for Butler ?  That's the question.  Who knows the offer though.

Nah to much for Butler who's got 5 years tops left in him. He's an upgrade over Crowder but your talking about three 1st round picks and Butlers not worth three first round picks and Crowder.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:14 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Now if it was picks #3-#16-#23 and Crowder and we traded all five 2nd round picks for a 2017 1st then I'd feel better about it. Still don't think even that gets done. Butler is pretty much off limits anyway.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 08:32:08 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I really like Butler's game as a two way elite hustle player
But his knee problem is too much for me to throw a lot at him
plus he can cause locker room issue so there is that

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 08:35:03 PM »

Offline Nikki8

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I am definitely interested in the trade.  But I throw in Bradley, and not Crowder, and I take #16 off the board. 

They can have #3 and a future first (non-Nets related, more like the Memphis first) plus Bradley for Butler.

I would do the #3 plus some future Celtics first but I don't want to see him trading the Nets or Grizzlies picks.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would do #3 and Bradley for Butler, because Butler is a star.  I wouldn't throw in Crowder or Smart and I REALLY wouldn't throw in any other Nets' picks or the Memphis pick.  However, we'd be a dramatically better team with him on the court and I think it's likely that he'll be very good for the next 5 years.  A 1st team All-Defense guard and the 3rd pick in the draft is not an unfair package.

Yes, our main weaknesses are PF and C, but the third draft pick isn't going to address any of those anyways.  IT + Butler would make us a very attractive FA destination, too. 

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I'll pass on Butler, we already have an All-NBA defensive starting SG.
He's simply not a game changer. Even with Noah, Rose, Gasol, etc, the Butler-led Bulls didn't even make the playoffs. So he doesn't fill a position of need and isn't franchise changer. Now if Paul George is available that's a completely different kettle of fish.