Author Topic: Marcus is a keeper  (Read 4754 times)

Re: Marcus is a keeper
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 08:15:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Do not trade Marcus for any reason because there isn't one that makes sense.  Agree?  Disagree?

90% agree.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Do not trade Marcus for any reason because there isn't one that makes sense.  Agree?  Disagree?

90% agree.

I can sort of see if we draft hield and trade marcus for okafor but even that doesn't sit well with me for some reason.  It's one that sort of makes sense but not really.  Still feel like we are selling ourselves short with marcus.  I still haven't heard a scenario where trading Marcus makes sense.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'd trade Isaiah before I would trade Marcus though.  Not this year but I'd rather build around Marcus and whoever we draft and maybe trade Isaiah for a star down the road.  I think our guards are fine right now.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Trading Smart doesn't make sense unless your getting back a truly excellent value. His stock, while not bottomed out, is lower than it should be.  There is NO way I'm trading Marcus AND the 3rd pick for Okafor, that's crazy talk.

To me, If I'm trying to trade that pick to Philly, I'm going for Noel. Maybe we can swing a deal where we move back to 5 or 6, trade that pick to Philly for Noel, and try to move up from 16 using our bevy of assets to get a higher level shooter. Maybe Murray falls to 8 or something. I'd much rather end up with Noel than Okafor. you could plug Noel into Amir's spot right away. Heck, I wouldn't wanna trade #3 for any of Philly's bigs, but I'd at least consider it with Noel. Probably wouldn't for Okafor unless your planning on moving him in the next year.

Maybe something like #3, #35, RJ Hunter or James Young for Noel and Bob Covington. They could take Bender at 3 who would compliment Okafor pretty well if you think he'll pan out, or Dunn considering they desperately need a real PG. Just replacing Amir with Noel should bring us above 50 wins, people are forgetting how good he is defensively, and if he shined in a role here he'd be a valuable trade commodity. Only problem is Noel is up for a raise next year. Still, I'd be pretty happy rolling into next year with..

PG: Thomas/Smart/Rozier
SG: Bradley/Smart/Rookie or Hunter
SF: Crowder/Covington/Jerebko (Turner, FA (Batum)?)
PF: Olynyk/Jerebko/Crowder/Covington/Mickey
C: Noel/Amir/Olynyk/Mickey

Round it out with the right role players and rookies, see some youth progression and we've got 50-55 wins with another summer of major assets ahead. I'll take that over trading Smart and 3 for a guy as flawed and Ill fitting like Okafor.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 12:57:33 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I disagree. Nobody on this team is untouchable let alone a player who isn't even a starter and could be one of the worst offensive guards in the league. Don't get me wrong, I love Marcus but he isn't anywhere near untouchable. Not even close.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
False premise.  As already said, no one on this roster should be untouchable.  Only a few players in the entire league that are in that category anyway, and in theory even they could be traded for each other.

The problem, and my biggest pet peeve on the entire internet, is that people only want to trade players they do not like and somehow, they expect to get something they do like in return.  Trades should be value for value and as such, if you think it helps your team then you make the deal.

In terms of smart's value, who knows.  But he is nowhere near an untouchable player.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I disagree. Nobody on this team is untouchable let alone a player who isn't even a starter and could be one of the worst offensive guards in the league. Don't get me wrong, I love Marcus but he isn't anywhere near untouchable. Not even close.

Absolutely agree. Smart has been wildly overvalued in recent days on this board, and while I'd prefer to just move the 3 for Okafor, I would certainly listen if Philly wanted a guard who cannot shoot in the deal.

Bottom line: "My favorite player" does not equal "superstar."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I'd drive Marcus to the airport if they could find a decent trade for him.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I'd trade Thomas before I trade Smart.  That's how much potential I see in this guy.

Completely disagree.

Thomas has the heart of a Celtic.

Smart has to improve offensively, and calm down before I ever begin to view him as more than Tony Allen Part Deux.

I would certainly include him in the right deal, and that includes moving the 3 if necessary.

List the players who you think we could get in such a deal.
Let's say Smart plus the 3rd and extras....
Who are the players you would want?
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Agree he's a keeper. His value is obviously finite, so he shouldn't be "untouchable", but I can't imagine that he's worth more to any other team than he is to us.

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Agree he's a keeper. His value is obviously finite, so he shouldn't be "untouchable", but I can't imagine that he's worth more to any other team than he is to us.

It would have to be a situation where it puts us in position to be a championship team and better position to do that.  Those situations are far and in between I guess is the point.

Hey if we are getting Kevin Love for  Marcus and it's going to persuade Durant to come here that's something to think about but yeah.

Even still we might need a pg who isn't going to shoot too much.

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 07:23:28 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I'd trade Thomas before I trade Smart.  That's how much potential I see in this guy.

Completely disagree.

Thomas has the heart of a Celtic.

Smart has to improve offensively, and calm down before I ever begin to view him as more than Tony Allen Part Deux.

I would certainly include him in the right deal, and that includes moving the 3 if necessary.

My view exactly--Smart is Tony Allen all over again--stupid shots, stupid flops--low basketball IQ--he is strong and reacts well on defense but we have Avery for that.  Smart is anything but smart on the court.  Hope he grows up if we don't trade him.  Now everyone talk about his potential instead of how awful he is on offense or how many mistakes he makes or talk about  if he had more minutes at point he would overcome his inadequate handle and passing game.

I want warriors with a brain and understanding on my side
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I got a fortune in Smart apparel  ;D

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I got a fortune in Smart apparel  ;D

I take it all back then--hope your investment pays off! :o
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Marcus Smart is untouchable? Bizarre nonsensical blanket statement that's the epitomy of why this forum is struggling.

Lemme tell ya: Marcus Smart is highly touchable.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)