Author Topic: July 13th 2013, The Nets ruined their future for a half decade  (Read 2662 times)

Re: July 13th 2013, The Nets ruined their future for a half decade
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 12:05:54 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Admittedly, that trade seemed good on paper at first. There were talks of them challenging Miami that year. Even I hated that trade when it happened. Hopefully the pick isnt squandered this season.

Are you saying that people's initial impressions could be wrong?

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It was bittersweet, but I personally was happy Danny dealt are senior citizens for essentially 4 unprotected firsts. It's amazing that the second of the four picks is the #3 overall.

So many people were arguing the picks would be garbage, but seeing how are guys were so old and Brooklyn was so soft it was a no Brainer gamble that's paying off in spades now.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Admittedly, that trade seemed good on paper at first. There were talks of them challenging Miami that year. Even I hated that trade when it happened. Hopefully the pick isnt squandered this season.

Agree. I think this point hasn't been emphasized enough. This is THE single best asset of the deal. I've used this term before: it's the crown jewel of the Pierce/Garnett deal. We loved those guys, but we gave them up for these picks. Despite what may look like another bad season for Brooklyn next year, there's no guarantee of it. What is a guarantee, is that the 2014 pick was already a waste, and the 2016 pick is #3.

We cannot afford to waste this pick. It's like the post LarBrd (I think?) made: how would we feel if we didn't have the nets picks? Lots of people said they wouldn't be nearly as optimistic about the team, that we would be a treadmill team. If this pick doesn't hit, aren't we essentially in that situation?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 01:18:01 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Agree. I think this point hasn't been emphasized enough. This is THE single best asset of the deal. I've used this term before: it's the crown jewel of the Pierce/Garnett deal. We loved those guys, but we gave them up for these picks. Despite what may look like another bad season for Brooklyn next year, there's no guarantee of it. What is a guarantee, is that the 2014 pick was already a waste, and the 2016 pick is #3.

We cannot afford to waste this pick. It's like the post LarBrd (I think?) made: how would we feel if we didn't have the nets picks? Lots of people said they wouldn't be nearly as optimistic about the team, that we would be a treadmill team. If this pick doesn't hit, aren't we essentially in that situation?
What we gave up for these picks is irrelevant. Those are sunk costs now. This pick isn't anymore special because we traded Pierce for it.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 01:46:24 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

What we gave up for these picks is irrelevant. Those are sunk costs now. This pick isn't anymore special because we traded Pierce for it.

Well I'd like to have something beneficial to my team as a result of trading 2 of my favorite Celtics ever.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 01:50:04 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Well I'd like to have something beneficial to my team as a result of trading 2 of my favorite Celtics ever.
sure, but in terms of player evaluation and how Danny determines who to pick I hope the fact that we lost Pierce and KG never crosses his mind. Because if it affects the decision making process we have an issue somewhere in the decision making process
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 02:57:51 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Nets haven't necessarily ruined their franchise as they can still make trades for assets as well free agency
Nets are known to spend big
They won't spend as recklessly as before but overpaying some quality players is not out of the question
They still got brook Lopez who's one of the best post scorers in the league when healthy
RHJ was a nice pick and thaddeus young is a solid starter

Their not making the playoffs anytime soon but I doubt they'd be at the bottom again

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The Nes long-term woes are horribly overblown. 

They have Lopez, Young, Hollis-Jefferson and only $40M in guaranteed salary in a season where the cap is rising to $90M...plus an owner who is clearly not afraid to take chances and spend money if he has to.

By no means will they be a contender any time soon, but they are very capable of becoming a fringe playoff team by the 2018 season (maybe even to start next season) if things swing there way in free agency.  Especially given how wide open the East is right now.