Author Topic: July 13th 2013, The Nets ruined their future for a half decade  (Read 2660 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

With people complaining about waiting 3to5 years for a great team, I wanted to point out the absolute misery of making a short sighted trade the Nets made.

Now whay they did was shear insanity, because they never had a real chance at a ring with washed up KG and Pierce.

As fantastic as the initial KG, Ray Allen trade was it was for a three year window at a ring which we won once and could have won two. We are very lucky to find a sucker like the Nets or it could have been 10 years of horrible hopes for the team.

So rejoice Celtic Nation and enjoy the process, watch it unfold as we draft and keep a 19 year old stud in the making.

And really the Nets are screwed for longer than five years, it may take 10 years to dig themselves out if this huge hole.

Re: July 13th 2013, The Nets ruined their future for a half decade
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

With people complaining about waiting 3to5 years for a great team, I wanted to point out the absolute misery of making a short sighted trade the Nets made.

Now whay they did was shear insanity, because they never had a real chance at a ring with washed up KG and Pierce.

As fantastic as the initial KG, Ray Allen trade was it was for a three year window at a ring which we won once and could have won two. We are very lucky to find a sucker like the Nets or it could have been 10 years of horrible hopes for the team.

So rejoice Celtic Nation and enjoy the process, watch it unfold as we draft and keep a 19 year old stud in the making.

And really the Nets are screwed for longer than five years, it may take 10 years to dig themselves out if this huge hole.

Honestly, this summer seems like it will be a huge deciding factor for how long the Nets are in this hole.  They could make more really shortsighted moves in an attempt to stick it to us, which could push their rebuild back even more (or even prove to be very good and set them up pretty well).  On the other hand, they could look more toward the future and make trades for some youth (trading away Lopez and Young for draft picks+prospects), which could set them up well for a rebuild or prove to be a horrible move that ends up with a worse team short-term that doesn't actually have the long-term upside they were looking for

I do not envy Sean Marks
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:22:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

They are screwed any way you play that hand.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
If I'm Ainge, I'm basically playing fast and loose with every other draft pick in our arsenal except those three remaining Nets picks. All three will be high lottery and essentially represent a chance to add the next Celtics great.

The Celtics won 48 games last year. They were a half game away from the 3rd seed. Nearly all of their major contributors are young. How many teams in that situation in NBA history get to make three straight lottery picks?
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 05:36:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They should of traded Lopez and jack last season

Could have a top 10 pick and another 1st

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Nets need to legit blow it up. They are in an impossible spot right now. Trade Lopez/Young for some young players/picks and try to pick up the pieces.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Danny should make the Hall of Fame as an exec for that trade.  OMG

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Admittedly, that trade seemed good on paper at first. There were talks of them challenging Miami that year. Even I hated that trade when it happened. Hopefully the pick isnt squandered this season.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Admittedly, that trade seemed good on paper at first. There were talks of them challenging Miami that year. Even I hated that trade when it happened. Hopefully the pick isnt squandered this season.
the trade still looks good
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:22 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Nets have 1 thing going for them. New arena and New York City. A few good Free Agent signs and there right back in the weak Eastern Conference picture.

A lot to do with team building is the scouting department. You must invest in Scouts.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I disagree, and here is why:

They have a legitimate NBA All-Star quality center in Brook Lopez.  They also got a fairly good return for KG in Thad Young.  Those two are starter-quality players on most NBA teams. 

The cap is exploding.  They have almost nothing in terms of long term salary.  Lopez is it.  They can VERY easily overpay a few mid-tier Free Agents, put them with Lopez and Young, and have a credible starting 5.  They will still be flexible with salary even if the drastically overpay guys to return to respectability. 

And even if they don't want to do that...Young and Lopez can net them draft picks or young players in trades.

They have a first round pick next year, at least, and they can very easily get back to the middle of the pack in the NBA with some free agent signings.  I wouldn't bank on that 2018 being anything close to what we got this year.

Losing their pick this year sucked for them, but that was their fault for sucking.  In all honesty there was no way they were prying Pierce, Garnett and sending crap contracts back to Boston without giving up at least one unprotected 1st rounder.  It just so happened that Billy King made a terrible coaching hire for that team, the chemistry exploded, and Williams submarined their franchise.  If there is one thing you can criticize Billy King for, it's Deron Williams.  That guy is a loser.

We got lucky.  There is no question about that.  Would we be singing the same tune if KG and Pierce helped Brooklyn make the NBA Finals two years in a row?

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Nets already messed up by missing Lillard on that Gerald Wallace trade.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 11:25:14 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Nets don't have time to aquire any kind of rhythm in 2 years. No ones gonna play for Brooklyn. The 17 swap should still be in the lottery and the 18 pick is the only one that may jump into the teens. Memphis is gonna implode by 2019 so that might be a lottery pick. 3 lottery picks isn't all that bad. But that's what you get for leaving a Russian in charge.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If I'm Ainge, I'm basically playing fast and loose with every other draft pick in our arsenal except those three remaining Nets picks. All three will be high lottery and essentially represent a chance to add the next Celtics great.

The Celtics won 48 games last year. They were a half game away from the 3rd seed. Nearly all of their major contributors are young. How many teams in that situation in NBA history get to make three straight lottery picks?

Do we really have 3 more picks from Brooklyn? I think its just two more.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Do we really have 3 more picks from Brooklyn? I think its just two more.

3 including this year i think is what he means
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about