Author Topic: Who do Sacramento pick at 8?  (Read 4479 times)

Who do Sacramento pick at 8?
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's generally accepted that teh first 7 names off of the board will be; Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Dunn, Brown, Hield, Murray, in no order in particular.

For Sacramento at #8 they will have several "tier 3" choices but what are they looking for? With Joerger coming in and looking to build around Cousins would they want another Center behind him, WCS and Koufos? Would they want a high upside project unlikely to impact their team next year? Or someone who can impact straight away?

Their options:

Jacob Poeltl
Henry Ellenson
Marquese Chriss
Deyonta Davis
Skal Labissiere
Denzel Valentine
Domanas Sabonis
Furkan Korkmaz
Timothe Luwawu

That pretty much covers the options.

Poeltl and to a certain extent Davis are Centers. Chriss, Skal and again Davis are a few years off of contributing well. Korkmaz and Luwawu are stashes so not immediate help. Ellenson could come in and help but I wouldn't want to count on it. All of these options I feel are redundant for Sacramento.

That leaves us with 2 options, Sabonis and Valentine. With Sabonis being a PF and not having 3 point range yet there is some overlap with the current roster. Valentine however is a 3 point shooting wing with playmaking skills, something Sac will need if they do let go of Rondo.

#8 seems quite high for Valentine but I can't see any safe trade back options for Sac with the Magic at #11 who could also take him.

Aside from Bender or the like being taken with the Lakers pick this pick could be the one that shakes up the composition of the draft.

What do you think?

Re: Who does Sacraments pick at 8?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:57:27 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think it depends on how they plan on moving forward.  If they want to push for the playoffs this year, take Elleson to be a stretch 4.  If they feel they can take it slow, go with Skal.  Both would fit well next to Cousins.  If they really want to mix it up, they could go with a draft-and-stash like Luwawu

My guess, though?  Something unexpected and possibly very stupid. Thon Maker maybe?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:21:57 PM by Redz »
I'm bitter.

Re: Who do Sacramento pick at 8?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
I think it depends on how they plan on moving forward.  If they want to push for the playoffs this year, take Elleson to be a stretch 4.  If they feel they can take it slow, go with Skal.  Both would fit well next to Cousins.  If they really want to mix it up, they could go with a draft-and-stash like Luwawu

My guess, though?  Something unexpected and possibly very stupid. Thon Maker maybe?

That would make me laugh! If last year is anything to judge by they aren't afraid to use a high pick on more of a sure thing. WCS was considered part of that top group but had more of a solid floor than the others maybe. The idea was also to move Cousins to the 4 though I'm not sure if that is still the plan.

Skal is the highest upside and the pick of many teams here but for Sacramento? I'm not sure

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

That would make me laugh! If last year is anything to judge by they aren't afraid to use a high pick on more of a sure thing. WCS was considered part of that top group but had more of a solid floor than the others maybe. The idea was also to move Cousins to the 4 though I'm not sure if that is still the plan.

Skal is the highest upside and the pick of many teams here but for Sacramento? I'm not sure

The more I think about it, the biggest wild card is whether they'd consider trading it for an established player.  Are there any good SGs out there that could be available?  Maybe a legit stretch 4 or a SF so they can shuffle Rudy Gay to PF? If the Kings really want to make the playoffs next year, trading the pick may be the way to go
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they will pick Chriss or Valentine. Chriss if they want to go with the highest upside guy, Valentine if they are trying to bring in someone to compete for minutes immediately.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
They will probably pick Valentine. I could see them taking Chriss if they are shooting for higher upside, but I don't see that working out (which maybe means they do it). Korkmaz would be a decent pick but I don't think they are stashing right now. They at least want someone on the roster for fan interest.

It certainly is an interesting position they are in given their current needs/situation. And I think one or two of those guys will turn out pretty good but it's basically a lottery as to which of them do.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:51:06 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

The more I think about it, the biggest wild card is whether they'd consider trading it for an established player.  Are there any good SGs out there that could be available?  Maybe a legit stretch 4 or a SF so they can shuffle Rudy Gay to PF? If the Kings really want to make the playoffs next year, trading the pick may be the way to go

I did think about that. It's certainly possible. Perhaps they'd like a shot at Lance Stephenson? Surely that can't go badly...

Seriously though I think the Magic will be doing the same for a SF, I was thinking of thema  few days ago and I can't see any worthwhile options. Porter from Washington? Bogdanovic from Nets? Muhammed from Minnesota? There aren't too many good options out there for good value.

Plus a draft pick is locked in for longer and maybe they feel they need the long term security  ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I did think about that. It's certainly possible. Perhaps they'd like a shot at Lance Stephenson? Surely that can't go badly...

Seriously though I think the Magic will be doing the same for a SF, I was thinking of thema  few days ago and I can't see any worthwhile options. Porter from Washington? Bogdanovic from Nets? Muhammed from Minnesota? There aren't too many good options out there for good value.

Plus a draft pick is locked in for longer and maybe they feel they need the long term security  ;)

I think Lance Stephenson would be an awful fit in Sacramento, so it's certainly a strong possibility  :P

I don't see the Magic trading for a SF after trading away Harris, I think they'll just groom Gordon or Hezonja as a SF.  They're biggest focus should be to either resign Fournier or sign some shooting to replace him, and then take a stretch 4 in the draft
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I think Lance Stephenson would be an awful fit in Sacramento, so it's certainly a strong possibility  :P

I don't see the Magic trading for a SF after trading away Harris, I think they'll just groom Gordon or Hezonja as a SF.  They're biggest focus should be to either resign Fournier or sign some shooting to replace him, and then take a stretch 4 in the draft

I did a mock earlier in the week that had Ellenson to the Bucks and Poeltl to the Magic as BPA. I've since seen that reports have them going the other way around which would fit wuite nicely I guess

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think SAC trades down, or out.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Skal or Korkmaz

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I think those would be the preferred routes but I can't think of who, particularly for trade down. Maybe they go further down and target a guy like Bembray?

In terms of trades there's too much out there to predict everything but at their positions of need, SG and SF I'm not sure there is a better choice than Valentine for the price

Skal or Korkmaz

For the upside?

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Skal or Korkmaz

For the upside?

I think Vlade likes skilled guys. Korkmaz is a skilled SG with size. Sounds similar to Fournier. Sacramento needs a wing like that. Someone who can score and shoot. Skal a highly skilled 6-11 guy with two-way potential. Skal would be a very interesting fit alongside Cousins and WCS. Give them an imposing athletic big man rotation.

Hard to see Sacramento taking another center with Cousins and WCS already on board (plus Koufos as bench guy). So I think they pass on Poeltl despite him being the top rated player on the board. Same with Deyotna Davis. I think Marquess Chriss is too raw. Like a smaller WCS. Unnecessary for Sacramento. Sabonis has some skill but is mostly a paint player. With WCS and Cousins, I am thinking the odds of Sacramento taking Sabonis are pretty small.

I discounted Luwawu because I thought Luwawu was another Mikael Pietrus but maybe I didn't give his offensive game enough credit. That is why I went with Korkmaz over Luwawu. Maybe that was bad call. Unsure.

Denzel Valentine would be a good option also. Missed his name above. His passing and ball-handling would be a valuable addition to the Kings offense.

So I am going with Skal, Valentine or Korkmaz.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

To expand on this...

Boston
Cauley-Stein

Why for us? Cauley-Stein entering only the second year of his rookie deal fills a need and starts at center. Smart would move into the starting lineup. This would also gives us options at #3. For example, if Ainge really like Dunn we can take him at #3. At #8 we could go various routes depending on who's available. Another center (Poeltl), high upside 4's (Skal, Chriss, Davis), high upside 3 (Brown) or a perfect roster fit (Valentine).

Sacramento
Bradley

Why for them? Sacramento is in "win now" mode and Bradley is an ideal player that can spread the floor, doesn't need the ball in his hands, and can change the defensive culture of that team.

Who says, no?

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 12:23:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

To expand on this...

Boston
Cauley-Stein

Why for us? Cauley-Stein entering only the second year of his rookie deal fills a need and starts at center. Smart would move into the starting lineup. This would also gives us options at #3. For example, if Ainge really like Dunn we can take him at #3. At #8 we could go various routes depending on who's available. Another center (Poeltl), high upside 4's (Skal, Chriss, Davis), high upside 3 (Brown) or a perfect roster fit (Valentine).

Sacramento
Bradley

Why for them? Sacramento is in "win now" mode and Bradley is an ideal player that can spread the floor, doesn't need the ball in his hands, and can change the defensive culture of that team.

Who says, no?

It would reunite Rondo and Bradley as well...

I lean towards the Kings saying no, but that could be a really good deal for them if they want to make the playoffs.  Might have to swap out the #23 for someone like KO, though

Imagine moving up a few spots from the #8 and then walking away with both Bender and Hield... [Dang], that would be a nice draft
I'm bitter.