Author Topic: If Ainge picks Dragon Bender  (Read 28988 times)

Re: If Ainge picks Dragon Bender
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2016, 01:47:26 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Darko was taken over 13 years ago.  I don't see how the comparison even fits.
Just because Darko was European and a 7 footer?

So in that case does that also mean that Ingram will become the next Michael Beasley? 
Since Beasely was taken #2 overall 8 years ago, he was also 6'9 and an American basketball player?

These comps don't make sense.  Each individual player in each draft is different and the scouting is different.

I think Ainge will be unemployed in a few years after taking Darko II.

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2016, 02:01:01 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
If this ends up being our guy, how do you feel??

By the time the draft gets here--I will be highly disappointed if we DON'T get Bender--I've been investing way too much time thinking about this.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2016, 02:27:13 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I don't really like Nowitzki or especially Love as comps. Best superstar comp imo, if you must make one, is Draymond Green. Obviously their bodies are way different but their skill sets are reasonably similar.

Well that's a scary comp since this Bender guy will most likely not share Green's handle or foot speed. So he's basically going to be a role player? So far all I keep hearing is 3 and D. Unfortunately the Celtics need a scorer.

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:36 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
... then I'm guessing we'll be bending dragons.

Also, if anyone thinks Bender is anything like Gasol, they probably have no idea what type of player Gasol was at a similar age. The clip below shows a 19-year old Pau Gasol playing in the Spanish league finals (that would be the last series of one of the strongest basketball leagues in Europe):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZETQoe-0U

First they aren't the same age. Second, I'm not even impressed by that video. Gasol and Bender look comparable foot speedwise. Gasol is basically just dunking in that video, so it's hard to see how advanced he is. It is shocking to see how much better Gasol has gotten.

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
....still comparing DLeague to NBA 

« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I like the controversy this potential pick is causing.  Sounds like half the room would boo a Bender pick, and the other half would cheer.  What we do know is that the scouts are saying the sky is the limit for Bender.  For a man of his size, he has the highest upside in the entire draft.  At age 16 he went up against Porzingis and apparently dominated a guy who was at the time 1.5 years older and is now one of the top young big men in the NBA.

Here's a pretty cool discussion between Chad Ford and Pelton.

Pelton: Agreed on all counts regarding Bender and Porzingis. They're different players.
Bender has broader perimeter skills. We didn't see his playmaking much for Maccabi, given his limited role, but Bender's performance for Croatia in the 2014 FIBA U-18 European Championships is instructive. He averaged 4.9 assists, third among all players.
Because Porzingis was a year further along in his development, it's tough to compare the two players at the point they were drafted. But if we compare Bender to Porzingis in 2014, when Porzingis was the same age, the comparison is more reasonable -- and favorable to Bender.
His translated NBA winning percentage (the per-minute component of my wins above replacement player metric, or WARP) is .444. During 2013-14, Porzingis had a translated .389 winning percentage in the Spanish ACB. (He improved to .461 in 2014-15.)
As a result, Bender performs slightly better in my WARP projections, which factor in age and projected NBA performance. His 3.4 WARP projection is tied with Clint Capela for the best from a prospect in Europe since Ricky Rubio in 2009 (3.7), just ahead of Jusuf Nurkic (3.3), Porzingis (3.2) and Nikola Jokic (3.1).

According to statistical analysis, Pelton projects Bender to have a 3.5 WARP, second only to Ben Simmons in this year's draft.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/4kpfrf/pelton_is_bender_a_better_prospect_than_porzingis/
So many layers of abstraction.  You take a game like basketball.  You can't adequately describe performance with just points, rebounds and assists, but it measures about half the game.  It gives you a rough idea.  Then you make composite stats that combine these basic stats in arbitrary ways.  If you have a high FG%, you'll have a high PER, and so on.  Then you translate composite statistics directly to wins.  That's clever.  Your model is leaking like the Titanic by now, but carry on.  Then you project it years into the future, and just for icing on the cake, apply it to European kids who have never started a game.

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2016, 11:36:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'll cry

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Well lets just see what some of the reports are when he starts working out for teams.

« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If this ends up being our guy, how do you feel??

I think it'd be met with much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair but in a year or two he could be an absolute fan favorite that makes the Garden go nuts like nobody else.

I would be excited to see a Thomas smart crowder Mickey Bender lineup next season or the season after.

That sounds nice, but I would be a bit more excited to see a Thomas Avery Crowder Mickey Bender lineup.

Not only is Avery likely to continue to be the better SG on our roster for the next couple of years, if he _isn't_, then that means he would have been traded and I expect we'd have some other changes as well in that lineup.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't have another 3 to 5 years of throwing pennies into the Celtics wishing well.

Find the best deal out there for an established player and make a trade.

Pay Conley what it takes. Move Thomas to shooting guard and stock the front court with a shooter and defensive minded Power Forward and Center. Your going to win 55 games

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'll cry

It's time to give up on Ainge ever building anything meaningful ... if he drafts Bender.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
FWIW:  Just in time for the Ainge family to be in Israel scouting him, Bender played large minutes in this latest round of the IBSL playoffs (Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv vs Bnei Herzelia).  Maccabi won both games:

In Monday's game, Bender played 26 minutes off the bench.  He scored only 2 points (1 of 4 shooting including 0-2 from three), but grabbed 7 rebounds, blocked 2 shots and 1 steal.

In yesterday's game, Bender played 23 minutes off the bench, scoring 11 points (5 of 11 shooting including 1 of 6 from three), grabbed 7 rebounds again, dished 1 assist and blocked another shot. 

I don't know yet if Danny was in attendance for the game or not.  I only know he was headed there.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Very little chance Ainge picks him imo.

« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
FWIW:  Just in time for the Ainge family to be in Israel scouting him, Bender played large minutes in this latest round of the IBSL playoffs (Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv vs Bnei Herzelia).  Maccabi won both games:

In Monday's game, Bender played 26 minutes off the bench.  He scored only 2 points (1 of 4 shooting including 0-2 from three), but grabbed 7 rebounds, blocked 2 shots and 1 steal.

In yesterday's game, Bender played 23 minutes off the bench, scoring 11 points (5 of 11 shooting including 1 of 6 from three), grabbed 7 rebounds again, dished 1 assist and blocked another shot. 

I don't know yet if Danny was in attendance for the game or not. I only know he was headed there.

Per Mark Murphy:

The Ainges - Danny and Austin - fly to Israel today to watch Dragan Bender in 2 practices tomorrow and Sunday. No games involved.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I don't know yet if Danny was in attendance for the game or not.  I only know he was headed there.
I'd love to find video of these recent games with extended minutes.