Author Topic: If Ainge picks Dragon Bender  (Read 28996 times)

Re: If Ainge picks Dragon Bender
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 06:02:19 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Its just to bad the Celtics are at the #3 pick. This kid is high risk, high reward at this time but we got no other choice. Ugh...

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
From the scouting and analysis I've read about his game, you should picture somebody kind of like Kirilenko on defense and kind of like a rich man's Jonas Jerebko on offense ("Good" Jonas anyway, like we saw in the playoffs).

If this were true, why hasn't he put up the stats to match.   I think some of these scouts "make" these players, they have to be the agent's pockets.   Guy averages 4 PPG and they call him the second coming, how can that be right?

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Its just to bad the Celtics are at the #3 pick. This kid is high risk, high reward at this time but we got no other choice. Ugh...

Trade the pick for Veteran help

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Trade the pick for Veteran help

At that point, that's my preference also if possible.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He should be fired

Cosign.

Trade the pick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Andrei Kirilenko?!  Bender is a defensive liability in the Israeli league, for goodness sake.  Terrible comparison.  Kirilenko was an all NBA 1st team defender.  Pau had an advanced post game and averaged 18/7 in Euroleague way back in 2000.  Again, terrible comparison.  Bender couldn't post up a chair.  I would say a poor man's Toni Kukoc with more length but the simpler description is just "a tall guy who can run and shoot 3's".

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
... then I'm guessing we'll be bending dragons.

Also, if anyone thinks Bender is anything like Gasol, they probably have no idea what type of player Gasol was at a similar age. The clip below shows a 19-year old Pau Gasol playing in the Spanish league finals (that would be the last series of one of the strongest basketball leagues in Europe):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZETQoe-0U
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
... then I'm guessing we'll be bending dragons.

Also, if anyone thinks Bender is anything like Gasol, they probably have no idea what type of player Gasol was at a similar age. The clip below shows a 19-year old Pau Gasol playing in the Spanish league finals (that would be the last series of one of the strongest basketball leagues in Europe):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZETQoe-0U

Well, considering that Gasol was born July 1980 and that game took place just about a month prior to his 20th birthday, I don't think you can say they're at "similar age". Especially when Bender doesn't turn 19 until late in the year.

To put that in perspective, Bender won't be the age Gasol was in the video until we're playing pre-season games getting ready for the 17-18 season. Things change so much in terms of player development when players are so young that who's to say he doesn't surpass Gasol at the same age?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:07:26 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2016, 11:04:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Of the comparisons I've seen in this thread, a Kirilenko-like player seems most accurate to me.  Everything I've read and seen suggests that he's a jack-of-all-trades type, not an elite scorer like Dirk or Love or even Pau.  (I personally don't see the Pau comparison, in terms of game.  Bender seems a lot more perimeter-oriented.)

I see him as a Schrempf offensively/Kirilenko defensively type hybrid, but at 7-1.

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not sure if this has been said or posted yet, but somebody with creative skills and a background in fantasy/sci-fi needs to post a picture of a real dragon bender.

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
His buyout is, I believe, 1 million.  It's not much.  Should not at all be an impediment to him coming over right away.  That's my understanding from what I've read.

From the scouting and analysis I've read about his game, you should picture somebody kind of like Kirilenko on defense and kind of like a rich man's Jonas Jerebko on offense ("Good" Jonas anyway, like we saw in the playoffs).

Wow!! Do you remember what prime Kirilenko was like on defense?  If this kid is like Kirilenko defensively, sign me up.

This is precisely why he's projected to go top 3.

Hopefully his career is longer than AK. Andrei declined early and fast.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
1. He'll be over immediately
2. His buyout is $1.3 million
3. I see him as very similar to Pau

I see the Pau comparison a lot here. But I dont really get it. Can you explain it?

I have made the Pau comparison not because their games are similar but their role would be similar. Pau was never a dominate scorer although he always averaged between 16.5 and 20.5. A consistently good scorer. He was not the lead scorer on a title team but a guy who would eventually become the 2nd best player on a title team. He could pass the ball and block a few shots but you would never consider him great at either thing although he could do them at a high level. Lastly is rebounding. Now this is totally dependent on Bender's body filling out and I think it can in time. Pau could rebound but wasnt a tough rebounder to well into his career.

I dont think their games are similar but I think Bender has a chance to give you on a high end an impact similar to Pau.

When I look at the young players on this team. I think Smart will eventually become a guy that is the 3rd best player on a title team. I think Bender could be the 2nd best player on a title team and I think at least 2 of the players that are projected in the top 4 will have a chance at being a top player on a title team.

So all in all whenI look at Bender I see a guy that from a production standpoint could on the high end give you similar things to Pau and Im totally fine with that.

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Detlef Schrempf is another interesting potential offensive comp.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Of the comparisons I've seen in this thread, a Kirilenko-like player seems most accurate to me.  Everything I've read and seen suggests that he's a jack-of-all-trades type, not an elite scorer like Dirk or Love or even Pau.  (I personally don't see the Pau comparison, in terms of game.  Bender seems a lot more perimeter-oriented.)

I see him as a Schrempf offensively/Kirilenko defensively type hybrid, but at 7-1.

I actually got to see Schrempf play a lot in both his high school and college days live and in person and I can see the similarity -- though the 3PT shot was not as big an emphasis back then.  Still, yes, Bender plays sort of a SF-style outside-in scoring game that does remind me of Detlef.   Schrempf wasn't a 7 footer, but he still was long and skinny at that age and had similar all-around skills and great fundamentals.   Bender is probably a better pure shooter though, at this age.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
His buyout is, I believe, 1 million.  It's not much.  Should not at all be an impediment to him coming over right away.  That's my understanding from what I've read.

Wow!! Do you remember what prime Kirilenko was like on defense?  If this kid is like Kirilenko defensively, sign me up.

This is precisely why he's projected to go top 3.

Hopefully his career is longer than AK. Andrei declined early and fast.

I've seen the video clips, I've read about the sub thirty inch vertical.  One thing I'm almost 100% certain Dragan Bender is not is an athletic freak like Andrei Kirilenko.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson