Author Topic: If Ainge picks Dragon Bender  (Read 28986 times)

Re: If Ainge picks Dragon Bender
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Well if Danny Ainge wasn't serious about drafting Dragon Bender then he wouldn't have taken his son to Isreal to scout him. This move could mean one of two things.

1 They are scouting and signing the buyout with 100% confidence he's going to fall to them at 3.

2 They are scouting him to see what his value would be via trade.
I thought they were scouting Luwawu.

The article I read, said they flew to Isreal to scout Bender in practice. Luwawu may be the reason the flight was worth its pennies. I like Luwawu. Ive seen him in mocks between 14-25

« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2016, 08:20:22 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't really like Nowitzki or especially Love as comps. Best superstar comp imo, if you must make one, is Draymond Green. Obviously their bodies are way different but their skill sets are reasonably similar.

Well that's a scary comp since this Bender guy will most likely not share Green's handle or foot speed. So he's basically going to be a role player? So far all I keep hearing is 3 and D. Unfortunately the Celtics need a scorer.

How is this a negative comp? Draymond is a top 10 player. Draymond minus a bit of athleticism and plus 6 inches of height would be an exceptionally good outcome. I would pick that player #1 in a heartbeat. I don't think Bender will be that good, but it's a compelling upside comp.
Bender plays smaller than Draymond.  They have the same wingspan and Bender can't jump and is slower.  3 and D.  With average D.
Bender has 6 inches on Draymond in standing reach, which is more important.  And that was last year, when Bender was 17.
Draymond is 6'7" and plays like he's 7'1".  Bender is 7'1" and plays like he's 6'7".

Now I've seen it all. Bender bashers will literally spin "6 inch taller Draymond Green" as a bad thing.
Bender has nothing in common with Draymond, apart from being a 3 point shooter.  Other than that, I'd say he's the anti-Draymond.  Soft defense, no intangibles, disappears for long stretches, poor rebounder for his size.  Draymond is one of the last players I would ever compare him to.

Again, my comp was Omri Casspi or Travis Outlaw.

What are we basing this on? He hardly saw the floor last year.

He really disappears when he's sitting on the bench. It's like he isn't even on the court.

« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't really like Nowitzki or especially Love as comps. Best superstar comp imo, if you must make one, is Draymond Green. Obviously their bodies are way different but their skill sets are reasonably similar.

Well that's a scary comp since this Bender guy will most likely not share Green's handle or foot speed. So he's basically going to be a role player? So far all I keep hearing is 3 and D. Unfortunately the Celtics need a scorer.

How is this a negative comp? Draymond is a top 10 player. Draymond minus a bit of athleticism and plus 6 inches of height would be an exceptionally good outcome. I would pick that player #1 in a heartbeat. I don't think Bender will be that good, but it's a compelling upside comp.
Bender plays smaller than Draymond.  They have the same wingspan and Bender can't jump and is slower.  3 and D.  With average D.
Bender has 6 inches on Draymond in standing reach, which is more important.  And that was last year, when Bender was 17.
Draymond is 6'7" and plays like he's 7'1".  Bender is 7'1" and plays like he's 6'7".

Now I've seen it all. Bender bashers will literally spin "6 inch taller Draymond Green" as a bad thing.
Bender has nothing in common with Draymond, apart from being a 3 point shooter.  Other than that, I'd say he's the anti-Draymond.  Soft defense, no intangibles, disappears for long stretches, poor rebounder for his size.  Draymond is one of the last players I would ever compare him to.

He really disappears when he's sitting on the bench. It's like he isn't even on the court.
VERY rough approximation:  I've watched about 30 videos totaling ~200 minutes of court time.  Some are "highlight" videos which he tends not to appear in.  I've seen 1 nice outlet pass and 1 nice block.  Those are the highlights.  He knocked down a bunch of open 3's, missed countless defensive assignments.  Got shoved out of the way about 30 times.  Appears generally lost.  Pulled down  a couple incidental rebounds in traffic.  I can't really overstate how underwhelmed I have been.

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

VERY rough approximation:  I've watched about 30 videos totaling ~200 minutes of court time.  Some are "highlight" videos which he tends not to appear in.  I've seen 1 nice outlet pass and 1 nice block.  Those are the highlights.  He knocked down a bunch of open 3's, missed countless defensive assignments.  Got shoved out of the way about 30 times.  Appears generally lost.  Pulled down  a couple incidental rebounds in traffic.  I can't really overstate how underwhelmed I have been.

Exactly. Dunn or Brown for me.

« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Exactly. Dunn or Brown for me.

Finally, people are beginning to catch on.

Kris Dunn, and then trade Smart - if we insist on keeping the pick.

I'd rather move it for Okafor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."