Author Topic: Would Philly take an alternative deal for Okafor?  (Read 3172 times)

Re: Would Philly take an alternative deal for Okafor?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The 3rd pick for Okafor sounds like a great deal and i would take it immediately.

But I definitely would not start the conversation with this deal. I understand that Boston had already offered the 3rd pick for Okafor during the trade deadline, but i really do think that his value has decreased since then.
Reason being, the front court of Philly will be even more crowded after this draft in a league that is evolving towards smaller lineups. Secondly beyond fit, i think Okafor's flaws have been highlighted, also decreasing his value.

I would start the convo with Philly with this offer:
This year's 2016 pick, next year 2017's Brooklyn pick, and Rozier.
I've heard how much they've love Kris Dunn, essentially a guy that's the same age as Rozier with similar skillsets. Maybe he's not as good as Kris, but having a 2017 Brooklyn Pick sure sweetens the pot.

For Boston, I can't think of a better frontcourt future than with Okafor and Bender.
Okafor, the post-up paint clogger that gets you easy buckets.
Bender, potentially a 3 and D shotblocker.

Considering you have two 7-footers, could you ask for better floor balance on both ends of the court?
1. Boston didn't have the 3rd pick to offer at the deadline.

2. Yeah, Rozier has a similar skillset to Dunn. And Bruno Sundov has a similar skillset to Dirk.

3. I don't know what "this year's 2016 pick" is, but I'm pretty sure we're not getting a promising young player for a pile of spare parts.

Fair to say that Rozier and Dunn have proven themselves on the nba level just about the same amount.

TP for being the first to think we're not giving up enough.  ;)
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I can see logic in trading a future pick, problem is that Philly has no certainty that the 17' or 18' Brooklyn pick lands in the top 3. 

I actually think they'd rather trade Okafor for a vet that can help their young team turn the corner.  They've got plenty of picks this year & plenty of prospects already to nurture. 

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

But it's the "grass is greener" logic. The investment of mystery, unproven players that dominate AAU ball somehow trumps the fact that each 2017 player will still be 3 years away from superstardom.

Assuming teams do indeed adhere to that philosophy, then by that token a 2017 draft pick in that loaded class will have more trade value than an Okafor that will be entering his 3rd year in the league, and minus 2 years of control.

This might be a topic for another thread, but who's to say that Okafor's 3rd year isn't an allstar at least?

Considering what I saw his last season he would need to improve exponentially in order to be an all-star next season. Remember the scenario I described above is a top 5 in 2017 vs an Okafor who is entering his 3rd season.

Just to get our math sorted out, the 2017 pick's first season would be the same as Okafor's 3rd season. I don't see why he couldnt be an allstar based on numbers alone. Consider that the the last 3 Eastern Allstar centers have been Pau (2x), Horford (2x), and Bosh. All over 30.

I think if you pick the 2017 player and say that he needs to be an allstar before age 22, you would be more than happy with it. This is Okafor's trajectory.

I think the Colangelo's have a pretty good sense about Okafor and his longterm upside. Considering that old man Colangelo has been around the Sixers for a few months, has directly worked with Coach K, and after all that info he's the big that they want to jettison speaks volumes.

The Sixers need to make a deal, we really don't. Assuming Embiid is healthy (big if), they draft Simmons, Saric comes over, and they still have Okafor and Noel, they have a logjam at the 4/5. That could potentially influence Saric not wanting to come over. No need to overpay at all. Not for a one way player that has shown 0 defensive ability and is a subpar rebounder for his position.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fair to say that Rozier and Dunn have proven themselves on the nba level just about the same amount.

That's not entirely correct. Rozier has proven that he has his work cut out for him if he wants to stay in the NBA, based on the body of work in his first year. I know he had a handful of promising games towards the end of the season, but so far he's had the career trajectory of Gabe Pruitt.

You're not going to get the 3rd pick from last year's draft that just came off a year in which he averaged 18 and 7 in just 30 minutes per game with an offer consisting of a non-lottery pick, an unknown future first-rounder, and a marginal NBA player.

If the front office in Philly has two brain cells to rub together, their starting point in any sort of Okafor negotiations would be #3 and Smart.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would rather give up this year's Nets pick as the 2017 draft is strong at the top and at Small Forward.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
The answer is yes,

Sadly, they would rather take LAs pick for Okafor.

That would suck!

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

That's not entirely correct. Rozier has proven that he has his work cut out for him if he wants to stay in the NBA, based on the body of work in his first year. I know he had a handful of promising games towards the end of the season, but so far he's had the career trajectory of Gabe Pruitt.

You're not going to get the 3rd pick from last year's draft that just came off a year in which he averaged 18 and 7 in just 30 minutes per game with an offer consisting of a non-lottery pick, an unknown future first-rounder, and a marginal NBA player.

If the front office in Philly has two brain cells to rub together, their starting point in any sort of Okafor negotiations would be #3 and Smart.

Not if the people on this thread ran the 76ers, apparently Boston is getting fleeced in the proposed deal
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
The answer is yes,

Sadly, they would rather take LAs pick for Okafor.

That would suck!

I think they still have LA's pick for next year, and consensus seems to be that Ingram > Okafor

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would rather give up this year's Nets pick as the 2017 draft is strong at the top and at Small Forward.

Me, too, but would add very little in the way of additional assets. Late 2nds, Young, RJ. I don't even think I would let Rozier or Mickey go yet. The #3 is a prize and the Sixers have an opportunity to try again this year after being forced to take Okafor last year.

Boston shouldn't pass on this deal and neither should Philly.

As for an alternative trade, Danny would need to get creative by moving down slightly in the draft order (with Phoenix at 4 and 13 or Denver with 7 and 15) and then using those additional picks plus the ones he already has to move up again and hopefully sell Philly on a #9 or #10 plus other assets. I am not including Smart in a package for Okafor (but would consider it straight up).