Author Topic: trading picks with Denver if Danny is lukewarm on difference among top 7  (Read 3003 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The 7th slot (Denver) in this draft is either the last spot in the second tier or the beginning of
the 3rd tier, most likely depending on one's opinion of Jaylen Brown (mostly likely to be picked at 7, or just after that, imo). 

What if Danny sees tier 2 as extending to pick 7 (or 8 or 9)?  In that case he might want to take the leftovers at 7 while picking up pick 15 from Denver (giving up pick 31 in the process).  So we would drop from 3 to 7 and move up to 15 from 31.

I like the 3 spot and the tier we're currently in (borderline between tier one and two, and the trade possibilities that are there now.  But what if a trade for a vet stud doesn't work out or is too expensive, etc..)?  I really like the 9-15 range in this draft, and pick 7 and 15 would allow for two players to be taken in there).

So at 7 take either Jaylen Brown, Poetl or Skal.

And at 15 and 16 take two of the following remaining guys (one of this group and possible two will certainly be gone):  T. Prince, Luwawu and Korkmaz).  All of them can shoot.  All of them have good size.  Prince is the must in my book among the 3.  But I'd like one of the other two as well.  If Prince is gone by pick 15 then just take one of Luwawu and Korkmaz and the best big in Danny's eyes...

Let's say the binky part of the trade works and we get Prince and Luwawu at 15 and 16.  Then at 23 take Diamond Stone.  And at 35 take from among Zizic, Zubac, Qi, Zimmerman, Diallo, etc...

Denver would have to really want a guy at 3 to make it work.  It would also be contingent on Ingram and Simmons being off the board at 3.  If either is there at 3 the trade is negated and we grab, hopefully, Ingram (or Simmons to trade him).

So this no-Ingram/Simmmons draft ends up looking like:

--J. Brown/Poetl/Skal
--Prince
--Luwawu (one year stash)
--Stone
--Zizic, Zubac, Zimmerman, etc...

I think that draft addresses size and shooting both.  And allows for future trading from among our current backcourt surplus for an established big man.

To satisfy the draft crazies, the pick at 7 might have to be Brown, so we can salivate for the next few years over glimpses of great athleticism as he is brought along slowly and tries to round out his game.
And if a team takes Brown before slot 7, then we are looking at Hield or Dunn or Bender, etc...(doubt Murray drops to 7).

In that case we'd say Danny had his cake and ate it too....(okay I'd say that).

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:39:24 PM by wiley »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The tricky part is what happens with the first 6 picks. What if it's Dunn who drops to #7? Do you drop down again, knowing Dunn wants to play elsewhere?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I don't really want a dozen rookies.  Most of them would get chewed up on defense - Valentine in particular - so they won't really be able to be on the court at all.  Then we'd just be back to playing guys like Turner big minutes while they sit on the bench with 5 fouls in the 2nd quarter.

I like drafting Murray or Bender.  I like maybe drafting Luwawu, Prince and/or Zizic.  Then slotting them into our normal rotation and hoping that they blossom.  Most of the other guys aren't really going to fit in on the team.

I will say it again, too: Brown is the riskiest pick in the entire draft relative to his slotting in mocks.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
The tricky part is what happens with the first 6 picks. What if it's Dunn who drops to #7? Do you drop down again, knowing Dunn wants to play elsewhere?

That would open up a lot of nice trade possibilities...imo.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
I don't really want a dozen rookies.  Most of them would get chewed up on defense - Valentine in particular - so they won't really be able to be on the court at all.  Then we'd just be back to playing guys like Turner big minutes while they sit on the bench with 5 fouls in the 2nd quarter.

I like drafting Murray or Bender.  I like maybe drafting Luwawu, Prince and/or Zizic.  Then slotting them into our normal rotation and hoping that they blossom.  Most of the other guys aren't really going to fit in on the team.

I will say it again, too: Brown is the riskiest pick in the entire draft relative to his slotting in mocks.

I didn't add to the total draft pick count.  Prince is a 3/4 who can guard 3 positions in the bigger range. Luwawu is a 3/2 who can guard 3 positions in the middle range.  Both excellent defenders who can shoot.  Korkmaz more of a pure SG.  Much less defense but best shooter of the group.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Right now there may not be a ton of daylight between the #3 and the #7 slots, but that will probably change as new information becomes available in workouts. Workouts are very important, and as you get more information you tend to have stronger preferences amongst guys that were previously all in the same tier.

Danny has so many picks that I just can't see him trading back all the way to #7 just to get even more mid-late 1sts. I could see him trading #3+later picks for #4+#13 if the Suns want Bender and he doesn't.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I wonder if they'd take a raft of 2nds for Kenneth Faried? 

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It would be a cop out. He needs to pick as high as possible and get the 2nd best guy in this draft. I definitely think that can be had where we are

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
In that deal I wouldn't be trading #31. It's valuable and you already aren't getting much for a 4 spot jump near the top of the lottery.

#7 and Nurkic for #3 is an overpay but closer to what we'd want

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think the possibility of DA trading down is very real. It has been mentioned in multiple media sources that GMs are viewing picks 3 - 9/10 as a ver fluid group that will likely shake out differently for each team in that range. With that being the case I would only expect a trade down with Denver to occur if the package nets the Cs a starting front court player (Nurkic or Faired assuming either are viewed as good long term fits) or if a second trade package is negotiated in order to move up in the draft and consolidate picks (like the Cs tried to do last year when they wanted to package the bobcats pick to move further up). I could see a situation like the following creating a landscape for DA to make the aforementioned #3 + #31 for #7 + #15 trade:

Lottery Goes

#3 Denver    Bender
#4 Phoenix   Brown
#5 Minn        Dunn
#6 NO           Murray
#7 Cs            Hield

With that established if the I would target Poeltl in a trade up scenario. The Kings have Cousins and WCS so that should take them out of the mix. I could see them making a suprise move and drafting Chriss

#8 Kings      Chriss

At picks 9 with the Raptors and 10 with the Bucks is where I would expect an offer of #15 + #16 + late 2nds for either pick. This is a similar deal to the one the Bulls made to get Mcdermott a few years ago when they traded #16 + #19 for #11. If the trade does occur at #10. I would expect the Raptors to go with a PF not a Center and take either Ellenson, Labissier or Davis

#9 Raptors       Ellenson
#10 Celtics       Poeltl

With the lottery madness behind them I would then want the Celtics to target Hernangomez even if this involves packaging #23 with one of the early 2nds to get him (say #31 to move up to #20. He would then be a draft and stash.

#20 Celtics     Hernangomez

At the remaining #35 I would target a draft and stash maybe Cordinier

#35 Celtics     Cordinier

At 45 a college Vet wing Seldon or Brogdon

#45 Celtics     Seldon

End of the Draft the Cs would net

Hield
Poeltl

Herangomez draft and stash
Cordinier draft and stash
Seldon

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:59:41 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Wasserman tweeted about this the other day and insinuated it could take all 3 of their picks to move up into the top 5.

I would do the following, though:

Boston
Nurkic
# 7
# 15
# 19

Denver
# 3
# 23
# 53
# 58
Young or Hunter

Jonathan WassermanVerified account
‏@NBADraftWass
Or maybe they offer 7 + 15 and/or 19 to try and move into the top 5? Lots to discuss in Denver with 3 top-20 picks

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Wasserman tweeted about this the other day and insinuated it could take all 3 of their picks to move up into the top 5.

Boston
Nurkic
# 7
# 15
# 19

Denver
# 3
# 23
# 53
# 58
Young or Hunter

‏@NBADraftWass
Or maybe they offer 7 + 15 and/or 19 to try and move into the top 5? Lots to discuss in Denver with 3 top-20 picks

I would do that in heartbeat, especially if they took Young.  Take Hield at 7, Luwawu 15, and Prince 19.  A couple more draft and stash guys at 31 and 35.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Boston
Nurkic
# 7
# 15
# 19

Denver
# 3
# 23
# 53
# 58
Young or Hunter

‏@NBADraftWass
Even if you simplify that to:

Boston
Nurkic
# 7
# 15

Denver
# 3
# 53
# 58
Young or Hunter

I'd be happy

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Boston
Nurkic
# 7
# 15
# 19

Denver
# 3
# 23
# 53
# 58
Young or Hunter

‏@NBADraftWass
If Bender is who Denver wants then I would pick him, and then wait to see who is available at 7 before I make the deal. If Dunn or Brown are the best players available I'd just keep Bender.

I love the 10-20 range in this year's draft and I'd like to get another pick in that space, but I'm not willing to move back too far to do it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I read an idea somewhere where we swap picks with Denver and they also trade us Gallinari.  We'll probably have to throw in lesser picks/players with that type of deal.