Author Topic: Bradley All-D 1st Team  (Read 11652 times)

Re: Bradley All-D 1st Team
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Apparently the voters didn't see him trying to cover OJ Mayo.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Congrats to AB. Well deserved.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
awesome.  That should do wonders for his trade value.

I'm so glad you are here to say these things before I do.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I actually like to look at the voting for all the awards and check the how the guys I know vote and also to see who gives some random player a vote who didn't deserve to be their (and it's usually always somebody from said player's local media).

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/2015-16-NBA-All-Defensive-Teams.pdf

Tommy's usually always a homer.  If there's a C in the discussion, he's getting Tommy's vote.  Here he voted for Bradley (1st), Smart (2nd), and Crowder (2nd).  COY for instance Tommy voted Brad 1st, etc.

A couple of Bostians let us down though by not being blatant homers!  Cedric Maxwell didn't vote for Crowder, neither did Gary Washburn.

From what I can tell there's usually 2-3 Boston guys voting with it actually getting rotated around.  Scal and Mike Gorman have voted for other awards this year, and Gorman especially usually shows some homerism, Scal a little bit too.  I bet if one of them had voted for this award instead of Max or Washburn, Crowder may have made the team.  Instead we wasted Scal and Gorman by having them vote for things like ROY and All-Rookie where the C's didn't have any horses in the race!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Well deserved. Congratulations, Avery!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
is it bad that this was the first thing that went through my mind too?

Love AB but always lookin to move up in the world
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I actually like to look at the voting for all the awards and check the how the guys I know vote and also to see who gives some random player a vote who didn't deserve to be their (and it's usually always somebody from said player's local media).

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/2015-16-NBA-All-Defensive-Teams.pdf

Tommy's usually always a homer.  If there's a C in the discussion, he's getting Tommy's vote.  Here he voted for Bradley (1st), Smart (2nd), and Crowder (2nd).  COY for instance Tommy voted Brad 1st, etc.

A couple of Bostians let us down though by not being blatant homers!  Cedric Maxwell didn't vote for Crowder, neither did Gary Washburn.

From what I can tell there's usually 2-3 Boston guys voting with it actually getting rotated around.  Scal and Mike Gorman have voted for other awards this year, and Gorman especially usually shows some homerism, Scal a little bit too.  I bet if one of them had voted for this award instead of Max or Washburn, Crowder may have made the team.  Instead we wasted Scal and Gorman by having them vote for things like ROY and All-Rookie where the C's didn't have any horses in the race!
Are those Tommys selections? Rofl love that guy
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I bookmark Larbrd33 posts and read them daily with my morning joe. :)
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
An 1st Team All NBA player that is fairly efficient on offense at 15 points a game....   Nice gamble on Danny Ainges part and hard work by Avery!   I'll keep him on the squad...... 

Sign Noah or Howard and roll with our squad.....

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242018/Joakim-Noah-Telling-Teammates-Hes-Leaving-Bulls-Doesnt-Trust-Front-Office
Diggles

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

To add to my previous post, here's some more interesting notes on the Crowder/George race.

All three of Crowder's 1st place votes had him labeled as a guard.  This helped Crowder.

For George's five 1st place votes, two had him labeled as a guard, the other 3 had him as a forward but listed Draymond Green as a Center (which in all likelihood allowed George to get the 1st team vote when otherwise it would have been a 2nd team vote).  This hurt Crowder.

If anyone of those had gone differently, or the NBA didn't let the voters decide the players position, Crowder would have made 2nd team.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Congratulations to Avery. Well deserved. It's a [dang] shame Jae couldn't have snuck into the second team, especially seeing him getting so close.

Still, great for Avery and this gives Jae and Marcus something to shoot for next year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The teams that should want him are playoff teams in need of a starting SG.  Those teams tend to lack assets.  He's not someone that a rebuilding team should desire.  Trading Bradley probably makes the most sense if a team would rather retool rather than rebuild and wants to get rid of an over-30 star in the hopes of getting younger and building their team around younger players already on their roster.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 04:48:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I actually do like Avery Bradley.  He had a solid season.   An All-Defense guard who gives you 15 points on 45%/36%/78% shooting is nothing to sneeze at.   Could you imagine Bradley scoring 20+ in a different system?  I can.  Does that mean he's like 70% (or more) of what Jimmy Butler is?  He's the thing... they are both shooting guards.   Bradley averaged 16.4 points per 36 minutes.  Butler averaged 20.4 per 36 minutes.   According to this award, Bradley is a better defender than Jimmy Butler.

And yet, in a lot of scenarios (where Boston maintains double-max cap space), Boston would need to trade Avery Bradley's 8.4 million dollar contract along with #3 pick and additional assets to land a guy like Butler.   That's a super steep price considering Bradley is already maybe 70-80% the player Butler is (a little better defensively and worse offensively) and the #3 pick could develop into a better player than Butler.   

So anyways, it's a nice award.   Those awards are the only real way we have of ranking players defensively.  Bradley ranks as the best defensive shooting guard, because that's what the ranking says.   Considering that a lot of our prospective trades might need to involve Bradley's contract, it's good info to have.  He's definitely not a "throw-in". 

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I actually do like Avery Bradley.  He had a solid season.   An All-Defense guard who gives you 15 points on 45%/36%/78% shooting is nothing to sneeze at.   Could you imagine Bradley scoring 20+ in a different system?  I can.  Does that mean he's like 70% (or more) of what Jimmy Butler is?  He's the thing... they are both shooting guards.   Bradley averaged 16.4 points per 36 minutes.  Butler averaged 20.4 per 36 minutes.   According to this award, Bradley is a better defender than Jimmy Butler.

And yet, in a lot of scenarios (where Boston maintains double-max cap space), Boston would need to trade Avery Bradley's 8.4 million dollar contract along with #3 pick and additional assets to land a guy like Butler.   That's a super steep price considering Bradley is already maybe 70-80% the player Butler is (a little better defensively and worse offensively) and the #3 pick could develop into a better player than Butler.   

So anyways, it's a nice award.   Those awards are the only real way we have of ranking players defensively.  Bradley ranks as the best defensive shooting guard, because that's what the ranking says.   Considering that a lot of our prospective trades might need to involve Bradley's contract, it's good info to have.  He's definitely not a "throw-in".
Plenty of guys who are 70% as good as xxx, but you still have to trade 5 dimes to get a quarter.  In terms of trade value, AB is 20% of Butler even if he is Butler's equal as a defender.

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
He's not worth that contract !!  What are you doing Danny !!  Overpaying big time !