Author Topic: Yahoo Mock Draft 05/23/16  (Read 1760 times)

Yahoo Mock Draft 05/23/16
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:08:53 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/naders-nba-mock-draft-165700848--nba.html

Celtics #3 - Dragan Bender
Celtics #16 - Denzel Valentine
Celtics #23 - Zhou Qi

I actually like all of these picks. Am hopeful Ainge would take a potential high upside gem at 23 and Qi or Maker would seem to fit the bill.

Re: Yahoo Mock Draft 05/23/16
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Maker... pls

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:44:44 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I can't see sabonis falling that far, and if he did, I'd be screaming at my tv for ainge to scoop him up with the 16th. Valentine is a good pick that I'd be happy with after korkmaz and luwawu are gone, but I'd LOVE to steal Sabonis at 16.

Besides for that, this looks like a good draft. I think I'd prefer Maker to Qi for 23, but I understand the thinking. If Maker falls to the 2nd round, I hope we use the 31st on him.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:05:13 PM by positivitize »
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Valentine at 16 seems like great value.

Not sure Qi will ever be an NBA player but he seems like an OK gamble at 23.  I'd rather use the pick on one of the European combo bigs, but I could get behind a Qi selection.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd love this. Valentine is a great pick at 16, and Qi at 23 has the potential to look like an epic steal a few years from now.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Valentine at 16 seems like great value.

Love Valentine. The guy seems to always pass it in the perfect shooting pocket. Makes it so easy on his teammates to not have to adjust their shooting motion. He also really pushes the pace and doesn't hold the ball looking for assists. Instead, he's always zipping the ball around the perimeter. No sticking when it comes to Valentine. A perfect fit.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think Qi at 23 is a reach. 2nd round, or let him go.

I find it so hard to make a decision on #3 without thinking of one thing: Marcus Smart's trade value. Is he worth anything significant? Generally I'm a believer in 'best player available', but I can't help but wonder what team might take Marcus and for how much, and how that could affect this pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd love this. Valentine is a great pick at 16, and Qi at 23 has the potential to look like an epic steal a few years from now.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Qi. But I look at him and think, "How do you say 'bust' in Mandarin?"

Why would he turn out an epic steal, if you don't mind my asking?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Qi. But I look at him and think, "How do you say 'bust' in Mandarin?"

Why would he turn out an epic steal, if you don't mind my asking?

I think all teams assume taking Qi in the first round is a gamble, but if he does pan out he's a 7'1 player with perimeter skills, ball handling and length.

Definitely a development project for sure though.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Yes - Qi is a skinny 7'1" international player with perimeter skills, ball handling and length with limited experience against questionable competition. Worthwhile draft pick for long-term potential

Let's embrace him!

Bender?

Well, skinny 7'+ international players with perimeter sills, ball handling and length with limited experience against questionable competition never work out. Waste of a draft pick.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
Yes - Qi is a skinny 7'1" international player with perimeter skills, ball handling and length with limited experience against questionable competition. Worthwhile draft pick for long-term potential

Let's embrace him!

Bender?

Well, skinny 7'+ international players with perimeter sills, ball handling and length with limited experience against questionable competition never work out. Waste of a draft pick.

Personally, I'm fine drafting both but I understand why fans are more hesistant towards Bender. It's draft pick being used to take Bender that really gets people questioning and analyzing that selection more.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Let's embrace him!

Bender?

I get this, but the stakes are so much higher at #3.

I can see why people would have an issue with Bender at #3, but not so much later in the 1st. [If people are completely against Bender regardless of pick, but still all about "teh upside!" with other players, then I find that hypocritical/inconsistent.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »

Offline myselfonline

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think Qi at 23 is a reach. 2nd round, or let him go.

I find it so hard to make a decision on #3 without thinking of one thing: Marcus Smart's trade value. Is he worth anything significant? Generally I'm a believer in 'best player available', but I can't help but wonder what team might take Marcus and for how much, and how that could affect this pick.

At #23, I wouldn't say he is that much of a reach. He was initially projected to be early second round, but since he started working out with teams, his stock has risen a little. I think the C's are going to gamble on either Qi or Maker, and I think Qi is the safer choice.
Maker is higher risk, but potentially higher reward. But for me personally, I am always wary of the players that picked up the game a bit later.