Author Topic: What about a Love/Biyombo frontcourt?  (Read 3509 times)

Re: What about a Love/Biyombo frontcourt?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
FWIW, Melo recently said he is unequivocally returning to the Knicks this season. He won't be pursuing a trade.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/11/carmelo-anthony-rules-out-summer-trade-from-knicks/

Things change. We'll see how he feels when they don't upgrade their roster this summer, and they're out of the playoff race by January again.

Sure, but that's another half-season down the line.

If Cleveland does not win a title, I've got to think that Love will be sent packing. I think the framework of your idea is reasonable, just need to find an alternate 3rd team for the Cavs to get a major piece.

The only team I can think of with some sort of major four/five piece that would involve us as a third team would be Memphis and Gasol. It'd definitely shore up their defense by just playing Frye at the 4 next to Gasol, who essentially does what they're wanting Love to do, though I'm not sure how interested they'd be in that type of deal if they're claiming to want to play faster.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I used to be interested in Love, however, I no longer want him. I can not really think of many players I would describe as mentally weak, but I would say that about Love. When things go bad, he pouts and gets taken completely out of all aspects of his game. Secondly, his defense is a major problem that you can't gloss over when considering grabbing a guy making 20 million a year. I believe he has been benched entire 4th quarters multiple times by two different coaches. I trust that neither of these coaches is completely dumb (although more debatable with Lue).

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
PG: IT, Smart
SG: Bradley, Hunter
SF: Crowder, Turner
PF: Love, Mickey
C: Biyombo, KO
That team is not championship-level.  2nd round exit to the Cavs, at best.
Kyrie > IT
Bradley/JR Smith toss-up
James >>> Crowder
Love = Love
Biyombo/Amir/Sully toss-up

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
FWIW, Melo recently said he is unequivocally returning to the Knicks this season. He won't be pursuing a trade.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/11/carmelo-anthony-rules-out-summer-trade-from-knicks/

Things change. We'll see how he feels when they don't upgrade their roster this summer, and they're out of the playoff race by January again.

If Cleveland does not win a title, I've got to think that Love will be sent packing. I think the framework of your idea is reasonable, just need to find an alternate 3rd team for the Cavs to get a major piece.

The only team I can think of with some sort of major four/five piece that would involve us as a third team would be Memphis and Gasol. It'd definitely shore up their defense by just playing Frye at the 4 next to Gasol, who essentially does what they're wanting Love to do, though I'm not sure how interested they'd be in that type of deal if they're claiming to want to play faster.

At risk of kicking the hornets' nest: what about Cousins to CLE?

[Yes, I know, he's destined to be a Celtic. But what if Divac won't agree to trade him to BOS?]

Alternatively, what about Okafor to CLE?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Kyrie > IT
Bradley/JR Smith toss-up
James >>> Crowder
Love = Love

How does Love count twice if he's on our team and not theirs?

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

At risk of kicking the hornets' nest: what about Cousins to CLE?

[Yes, I know, he's destined to be a Celtic. But what if Divac won't agree to trade him to BOS?]

Alternatively, what about Okafor to CLE?

I also thought of that, but I figure that'd be a direct trade between the two with no need to involve us. I don't see why they'd give him to Cleveland and not us anyways. I think it's stupid, but they'd want someone like Love to keep a semi-competitive team together rather than build up from the bottom. WCS and Love would be a nice pairing, though.

I doubt that they'd want Okafor, who doesn't really qualify as a star upgrade for them and doesn't fit their style.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Biyombo sucks too

Totally. Dude's no Kelly Olynyk. I mean, he can't hang with Jared Sullinger. He's definitely no Tyler Zeller. And he's 1000x worse than Amir Johnson, according to one csblogger.

Given the chance to swap in any of the boys for Biyombo right now for the remainder of the ECF, think the Cavs would hesitate for more than 5 seconds before responding "any of the above"?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:47:28 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Kevin Love tonight:

25 pts, 2 rebs, 2 asts, 2 blks, 1 stl, +31 on 8-10 shooting in 23 minutes tonight. Yeah, I still think this guy could help us offensively under Brad's guidance.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 10:54:09 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I want Love but not for the #3

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Kevin Love tonight:

25 pts, 2 rebs, 2 asts, 2 blks, 1 stl, +31 on 8-10 shooting in 23 minutes tonight. Yeah, I still think this guy could help us offensively under Brad's guidance.
He could, but last nights performance shows how he is being used in Cleveland: As a 3-point shooter almost exclusively.  Love was a great rebounder in Minny but he can't do that while camping out at the 3 point line.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Kyrie > IT
Bradley/JR Smith toss-up
James >>> Crowder
Love = Love

How does Love count twice if he's on our team and not theirs?
Not to mention, I think Love and his role on our team would be greater than what he currently has in Cleveland. Plus, personally I would say Kyrie = Thomas & Bradley > JR.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Kevin Love tonight:

He could, but last nights performance shows how he is being used in Cleveland: As a 3-point shooter almost exclusively.  Love was a great rebounder in Minny but he can't do that while camping out at the 3 point line.

He would feature much more prominently for us. He would be more than just shoot 3s. He would probably be the 1A scorer to Isaiah being 1B.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The question with Love is can he be a #1 or even a #2 on a high calibre team? In Minny on poor teams, a number one no doubt. Cleveland I'd say #3. I suspect he might be a really nice two.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Love seems to be fitting in pretty well in Cleveland finally.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
The question with Love is can he be a #1 or even a #2 on a high calibre team? In Minny on poor teams, a number one no doubt. Cleveland I'd say #3. I suspect he might be a really nice two.

Yeah, you're probably right. However, he'll help draw the number one option just by being there. I mean, honestly, if you'd put someone like Butler next to him at the 3 and a strong defensive, mobile next to him a the five (like a Biyombo or WCS), then you'd have pretty much all you need scoring-wise. Three number two/number three options in IT, Butler, and Love would work fairly well without a "true" number one option. Look at Toronto. They've succeeded with two non-first option scorers in Lowry and Derozan.