Author Topic: Danny Ainge: Teams have inquired about Jordan Mickey, Terry Rozier  (Read 6254 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: Teams have inquired about Jordan Mickey, Terry Rozier
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 12:52:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'll day it a million times. Sully was known not to be part of the future as soon as he came in fat once again. He earned nothing. Coach played him to improve his own coaching record. Selfish.

Wut? For all the hate we gave sully, he was our best rebounder. Almost averaged a dub-dub in 24 minutes. His midrange was decent, and when his head was in the game, he was effective.

It's not selfish by Brad to give sully time. It was helpful to our team because he contributed in a variety of ways.

That being said, we can do better. I'd prefer to not resign him.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think on some level the desire to play kids has to do with when vets are stinking it up. To CBS' credit they did ship David Lee out of town, but I would have liked to see more Jordan Mickey this year, and a little less T Zeller and Sully. 

Stuff like that. They could have maybe rested some vets a little more at times. There's just nothing wrong with looking at a cupcake on the schedule and saying "Hey Bradley. Take the night off. RJ and Terry got this."

As evident by losing to the Nets x2 and the lakers, there weren't really any cupcakes on the schedule for us.  We needed to actually show up and earn wins.
76ers?  Well the rookies can lose us games to the Lakers just as good as the vets

^^ this
it's a small risk to take and it means a lot for improving young players.

As long as you are comfortable with how our playoff seeding turned out.
Well what would we do differently? Play vets in the Lakers game we lost?

Either Ainge is a good drafter who drafts good players and this shouldn't be such a big problem or he doesn't draft players that can be trusted for short periods of time against the worst teams. It's one or the other

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'll day it a million times. Sully was known not to be part of the future as soon as he came in fat once again. He earned nothing. Coach played him to improve his own coaching record. Selfish.

Wut? For all the hate we gave sully, he was our best rebounder. Almost averaged a dub-dub in 24 minutes. His midrange was decent, and when his head was in the game, he was effective.

It's not selfish by Brad to give sully time. It was helpful to our team because he contributed in a variety of ways.

That being said, we can do better. I'd prefer to not resign him.

What is this dude saying? IIRC, Sully started the season at the end of the bench, hardly playing even in the preseason. In the first game Zeller and Lee got absolutely torched by Okafor and Sully came in to save the day. He seized that opportunity and provided us with things we couldn't get from anywhere else, namely rebounding and low post defense. CBS wasn't "being selfish" by playing him. Sully earned that playing time by contributing to winning. If he had actually been in shape, he probably could've scored 15/10 on 30 mpg.

If he comes back on a great deal, he could still be on this team next year. Do I want an upgrade? Of course. Is it disappointing he's become a new age Oliver Miller? Absolutely. But let's not pretend like he was a useless player. We can't go into next year without him unless we get a different high level rebounder.

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If we resign Sully I hope and pray there is a weight clause for coming to camp and weight for the season. He doesnt need to weigh more than 250 not 280.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
this is the problem with trying to win games with vets in the nba and trying to develop through the draft at the same time.    maybe we need a coach that's willing to lose for awhile with young players so that they can develop.  james young, rozier, hunter, mickey aren't going to get better playing in practice and dleague.   we'll end up trading them and they'll get time and will blossom and people will be like where'd that come from.

TP

Blaming this on CBS tho makes no sense. You can't go out and hire a guy that obviously wants to win and expect him to mail it in. CBS is going to do what it it takes to fit his system and win games. If young pups fit that they'll play if not they won't. Ainge should have hired a tank commander if the goal was to develop. Either get CBS proven talent or  force his hand more. I don't think he'd like the latter but you can't have it both ways.

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
What f#$$%$ Teams Danny, all 29?

Im tired of the blanket statements by management. Make a move to improve.

I agree but I don't think anyone wants to help Danny IMO

No one feels bad for him, he's got all the assets but I can guarantee NBA offices league wide are not gonna help a playoff contender become a superpower.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
this is the problem with trying to win games with vets in the nba and trying to develop through the draft at the same time.    maybe we need a coach that's willing to lose for awhile with young players so that they can develop.  james young, rozier, hunter, mickey aren't going to get better playing in practice and dleague.   we'll end up trading them and they'll get time and will blossom and people will be like where'd that come from.

TP

Blaming this on CBS tho makes no sense. You can't go out and hire a guy that obviously wants to win and expect him to mail it in. CBS is going to do what it it takes to fit his system and win games. If young pups fit that they'll play if not they won't. Ainge should have hired a tank commander if the goal was to develop. Either get CBS proven talent or  force his hand more. I don't think he'd like the latter but you can't have it both ways.
Agreed.. Sounds like someone would like to have both end of the world when you know you cant. LOL!!

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I agree that Ainge should have hired a coach to play ball more. I have an extreme bias vs fat athletes. I view it as an insult to the other players that worked hard in the off season. I don't think he should be rewarded. I'd rather lose with guys that give their all and see if they have promise. I also agree that Danny should be forcing Brad's hand. If that causes losing the coach, then bummer, but so be it. That's where I'm coming from.

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2016, 07:41:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think it is about earning minutes, I think CBS just felt better with guys like Turner and Sullinger than Mickey and Rozier.  Nothing more than that.  You play the guys you have more confidence in and that you think will get the job done.  Period.

And here is the thing, this is much more about roster construction which is Ainge, then coaching which is CBS.  You can't just keep adding mid-1st round picks or later and expect them to play.  It just isn't logical.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I agree that Ainge should have hired a coach to play ball more. I have an extreme bias vs fat athletes. I view it as an insult to the other players that worked hard in the off season. I don't think he should be rewarded. I'd rather lose with guys that give their all and see if they have promise. I also agree that Danny should be forcing Brad's hand. If that causes losing the coach, then bummer, but so be it. That's where I'm coming from.

Given Ainge's mediocre draft record, I could not possibly disagree more strongly with this post.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 08:35:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

TP

I agree.  I would also add, if you're hiring a coach who doesn't want to win, you're hiring the wrong coach.  You can't just give minutes to guys who don't earn it, and see how they develop.  That's what the Wizards did for a few years.  All of their young players from back then are out of the NBA, or are notoriously terrible professionals if they remain -- Andray Blatche, Jordan Crawford, Javale McGee, and Nick Young all got plenty of minutes from 2009-2012 because they were young and nobody cared.  John Wall is the only one who developed from that time.

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Does this mean ,nobody cares for or inquired about the Hunter?  Young ? (Probably not)

Danny should of drafted Chris McCullough  or even Looney instead. It looks like he did CBS a favor . 

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm in full agreement with Coach Stevens; you gotta earn it.  I don't think NBA minutes just for the sake of giving a young kid minutes is necessarily good for development.

I think these youngsters can learn a lot by sitting on the bench and soaking up what veterans do on and off the court in a winning environment. 

Learning how to be a team-guy, how to be part of a winning professional organization, going against guys with more experience in practice, these things all have developmental value.

I think the Celtics are doing this the right way.  Some patience is needed.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm in full agreement with Coach Stevens; you gotta earn it.  I don't think NBA minutes just for the sake of giving a young kid minutes is necessarily good for development.

I think these youngsters can learn a lot by sitting on the bench and soaking up what veterans do on and off the court in a winning environment. 

Learning how to be a team-guy, how to be part of a winning professional organization, going against guys with more experience in practice, these things all have developmental value.

I understand that young players can earn playing time by performing well in training camp, but once the season starts and there are few practices how does a young player go about earning playing time?

I'm all for letting the youngs guys earn playing time, but if they never have the chance to earn it due to few practices then I'm not sure about this idea.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 09:16:48 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I understand that young players can earn playing time by performing well in training camp, but once the season starts and there are few practices how does a young player go about earning playing time?

I'm all for letting the youngs guys earn playing time, but if they never have the chance to earn it due to few practices then I'm not sure about this idea.

I doubt they need full practices to show Stevens that they're improving.  Just showing up on off days to work on their game, and doing well in shootaround may be enough.  I'm sure Stevens has some specific goals and areas to improve for these guys, and if they put in the work they can earn a shot
I'm bitter.