Poll

Who you got Okafor or Dragan

Okafor
35 (57.4%)
Dragan Bender
22 (36.1%)
Roses are red, violets are Blue, Okafor and Bender suck so Foo man Chew.
4 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Poll: Okafor or Bender  (Read 3250 times)

Re: Poll: Okafor or Bender
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Let's see.

Okafor or a franchise crippling mistake.

Okafor, seven days a week and twice on Sunday.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I know nothing about Bender and right now have no problem if Danny drafts him but I'll take the NBA known at this point.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 09:21:37 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I voted Okafor but he's not a franchise changer.

He is a super skilled offensive BIG man...but he's going to give up a ton of points too...unless Brad can work some of his mojo.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I voted Okafor but he's not a franchise changer.

He is a super skilled offensive BIG man...but he's going to give up a ton of points too...unless Brad can work some of his mojo.

I think he can be a good defender. He has the tools and showed some positive flashes last year. The problem was he tried when he wanted to. Sometimes he would just stop defensively then go all out on offence. Can we put that down to his situation? I like to think so. Give him some motivation here and I believe he will engage.

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I say let’s trade for Okafor and then try and trade him again… to 1996.

Seriously, the game has changed. I’m astounded that “We need a rim protector” and “We need Jahlil Okafor” can exist simultaneously as thoughts in Celtics fans’ minds.

He isn’t a great rebounder, is not that laterally quick, and doesn’t have long arms. In other words, he’s never going to be your defensive anchor in a new NBA characterized by tons of ball movement, switching, and guarding the pick and roll. Like Kevin Love, no matter how good he is on offense, he’s in danger of being a major liability on defense. (By the way, our former binkie Kevin Love has been benched in the 4th quarter of the last two playoff games for exactly this reason.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that his great offensive talent, post scoring, is statistically not that efficient. Maybe he learns to do other stuff, like develop a deadly mid-range jumper a la Lamarcus Aldridge. All I know is that his core competency in the league is not that highly regarded at this stage in basketball history.

Maybe the pendulum swings and teams really desire these big-bodied post players again. Maybe the basketball version of Bill Belichick figures out a way to punish teams that play small with those kinds of players. But until that happens, I’d say let’s recognize that this is 2016, not 1996. This is not the player you’re looking for.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:46:04 AM by Ed Hollison »
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Seriously, the game has changed. I’m astounded that “We need a rim protector” and “We need Jahlil Okafor” can exist simultaneously as thoughts in Celtics fans’ minds.

He isn’t a great rebounder, is not that laterally quick, and doesn’t have long arms. In other words, he’s never going to be your defensive anchor in a new NBA characterized by tons of ball movement, switching, and guarding the pick and roll. Like Kevin Love, no matter how good he is on offense, he’s in danger of being a major liability on defense. (By the way, our former binkie Kevin Love has been benched in the 4th quarter of the last two playoff games for exactly this reason.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that his great offensive talent, post scoring, is statistically not that efficient. Maybe he learns to do other stuff, like develop a deadly mid-range jumper a la Lamarcus Aldridge. All I know is that his core competency in the league is not that highly regarded at this stage in basketball history.

Maybe the pendulum swings and teams really desire these big-bodied post players again. Maybe the basketball version of Bill Belichick figures out a way to punish teams that play small with those kinds of players. But until that happens, I’d say let’s recognize that this is 2006, not 1996. This is not the player you’re looking for.

Nice post...except it's 2016!   8)

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/53658/20151203/sixers-cast-the-whip-on-jahlil-okafor-for-his-own-good.htm

There is more risk taking a player that knocked a Boston civilian on the street, got caught speeding 108mph and also got caught in a gun toting incident in a nightclub. Wow, all this and he is only 19. I cant wait for the day he does something that gets him banned from the NBA. I just pray it is not while he is in Boston Green. Imagine if that civilian on the street did not get up or he would have rammed someone at 108mph. We would not even be having this conversation as he would be serving time for manslaughter. No wonder the Sixers are ready to move on from this kid. I am amazed on how many people want him on our team despite his bad character. I cannot blame all of this on youth and just miraculously believe he will turn the corner and suddenly become a model citizen.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195

Maybe the pendulum swings and teams really desire these big-bodied post players again. Maybe the basketball version of Bill Belichick figures out a way to punish teams that play small with those kinds of players. But until that happens, I’d say let’s recognize that this is 2006, not 1996. This is not the player you’re looking for.

Nice post...except it's 2016!   8)

hahahaha oops! I'll change that. Thanks.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I love that I see some of the same people, at one time, gush about Evan Turner's game and how he is so important for the Celtics, and then at another time talk about how Jahlil Okafor is such a flawed player who doesn't fit in today's NBA because of his failures in Philadelphia, because he's not quick or athletic enough, or because he doesn't have prototypical skills for his position.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I love that I see some of the same people, at one time, gush about Evan Turner's game and how he is so important for the Celtics, and then at another time talk about how Jahlil Okafor is such a flawed player who doesn't fit in today's NBA because of his failures in Philadelphia, because he's not quick or athletic enough, or because he doesn't have prototypical skills for his position.

I like Evan Turner, but I wouldn't trade the number three pick for him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
TP very true. Situation is very important. A player needs to fit the roster around him. We could really benefit from some of Okafor's skills. The attention he would draw in the post would provide a real benefit to our guards in terms of spacing. Particularly for IT as with the presence of Okafor it becomes more difficult to stop IT on drives

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I like Evan Turner, but I wouldn't trade the number three pick for him.

Me either, but I don't think he has half as much talent as Jahlil Okafor.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is a tough choice for me but if its Bender or Okafor with no additional compensation going to the 76ers I have to go with Okafor. At 20 years old with elite length I find it hard to believe that he can not be molded into a competent defender. With the Cs elite perimeter defenders I do not think his D will be a major long term issue. He will need to show the needed effort on defense and the glass to be successful but what he can bring offensively good be a huge change for the Cs.

One key in acquiring Okafor is going to be the player slated to play PF next to him. The Cs will need to find a player who can shoot from the outside and is a + defender. Amir may be a short term option but lacks the shooting, KO will be fine situationally but wont work vs smaller teams, JJ is a decent fit vs smaller PFs, and Mickey will need to develop his outside but defensively is the ideal pairing.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 02:33:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Maybe the pendulum swings and teams really desire these big-bodied post players again. Maybe the basketball version of Bill Belichick figures out a way to punish teams that play small with those kinds of players. But until that happens, I’d say let’s recognize that this is 2016, not 1996. This is not the player you’re looking for.

Doesn't have long arms? His wingspan is 7'5" what were you looking for a ten foot wingspan??

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Bender is the best prospect at #3 but Okafor could have been #1 in this draft.

Let's not pretend we'll get Okafor for just the #3 pick though

Are you saying that you would trade Simmons for Okafor? Just asking...