Author Topic: CBS Sports Latest Mock: Sixers Trade Okafor to Celts for 3rd Pick, take Dunn  (Read 19022 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Would be interesting if...Lakers take Dragan Bender at #2. And then Celtics trade the #3 for Okafor.

Then Philly will draft both Simmons and Ingram with #1 and #3. Dang.

The Cs would just hold onto the pick and select Ingram.
agreed.  Danny would only make that trade contingent on Ingram and Simmons both being gone in the first 2 picks.

Ironically, if Skal had lived up to the hype this year, it would be a 3-player draft as anticipated last year and we'd be happy to get whoever's leftover at that point.  We'll seemingly still get him, just at 16.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm certainly not on the Okafor train by any means but if the #3 pick is all the Celtics are giving up here,  you have to bite on that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Would be interesting if...Lakers take Dragan Bender at #2. And then Celtics trade the #3 for Okafor.

agreed.  Danny would only make that trade contingent on Ingram and Simmons both being gone in the first 2 picks.

Ironically, if Skal had lived up to the hype this year, it would be a 3-player draft as anticipated last year and we'd be happy to get whoever's leftover at that point.  We'll seemingly still get him, just at 16.

don't think the 76ers will agree to such condition

If this happened they get the short end of the stick

I guess it depends who calls who first.  If the 76ers does, then the Celts can negotiate a little more

If the Celts call 1st. 76ers will act like they are giving up alot (trading Okafor). And will want the three with no strings attached

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Okafor is Al Jefferson. Just sign Al Jefferson and draft a project like Bender.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Okafor is Al Jefferson. Just sign Al Jefferson and draft a project like Bender.

I would like to have a young al jefferson on the team.  but 3-4 years later in the league version

Okafor is ahead in comparison

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Wrong thread

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I guess it depends who calls who first.  If the 76ers does, then the Celts can negotiate a little more

If the Celts call 1st. 76ers will act like they are giving up alot (trading Okafor). And will want the three with no strings attached

I don't think they have a choice.

Take the deal as it's laid out on the table - otherwise they can keep their three center logjam.

I wouldn't even trade #3 for Okafor if Ingram and Simmons are both gone personally...but I wouldn't even dream of it if one of those guys is still available.

I really, really hope that either Philly or LA decides to gamble on Bender, and then he realises his "bust" potential and ends up garbage.  That would be fitting Karma for Philly especially.

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Anyone out there that can come in and outbid our beloved Celtics?

I fear that.
Kupchak said he wants a front court guy and that the difference between 2 and 3 is not that great.  Could be that Kupchak would like Okafor better than Ingram, who knows?  I wouldn't regard that as out of the realm of possibility.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There is one big aspect to this type of a deal that everyone is ignoring imo. That is, it is generally a very bad practice to trade within your division, especially to your long term rival who is also at a similar stage in rebuilding as you.

I mean, let's pretend for the sake of argument that we all want to trade #3 for Okafor for the benefit of the Celtics. By doing so, we give the Sixers exactly what they need to balance out a stacked roster of top tier prospects, giving them a core of: Embiid, Noel, Saric, Simmons, and Dunn. We would be likely facing that team in the playoffs for a decade. The Dunn trade could haunt us for an entire era.

If we don't make this trade, they are forced to go ahead with no good PG, and three young top prospect centers, with the whole league knowing they need to move one of the 3 , and lowballing them.

This is a reason for the 76ers to not do the trade rather than us. They could achieve their aim of Dunn or Murray by trading with Phoenix. Realistically we would need to put in more assets to get the deal done. #3 alone isn't enough. Plus I believe we are better positioned now and long term if we make the trade for Okafor over Philly who still have concerns over retaining Noel, Embiids health and whether Static will convert well.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I don't think they have a choice.

Take the deal as it's laid out on the table - otherwise they can keep their three center logjam.

I wouldn't even trade #3 for Okafor if Ingram and Simmons are both gone personally...but I wouldn't even dream of it if one of those guys is still available.

I really, really hope that either Philly or LA decides to gamble on Bender, and then he realises his "bust" potential and ends up garbage.  That would be fitting Karma for Philly especially.

I think Phoenix would love Okafor and Saric for #4 and Knight. Maybe there's a bit of negotiating to do there. There are certainly teams that can outbid just the #3 pick

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Don't get overly excited.

What then if LAL picks Dunn and trades it to Philly to acquire Okafor?

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

Then we'd have a choice of Bender or Ingram which would be either fantastic for us or hugely increase the trade value of the pick. Still positives to take

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Best case scenario for us. We get Ingram or Simmons.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Regardless of where things shake out, this is going to be a really interesting draft, given how many teams have so many picks in their wallets.

I'm not a big fan of Okafor, but I don't see how we turn him down for #3. I'd throw in filler, but that's about it. #3 and Smart/Bradley/etc. for Okafor doesn't work for me.

The other big one that I could see is #3 and #23 to Phoenix for #4 and #13. I'd love to pick up Skal, but I don't think that he's going to make it to 16. Maybe we could pick him up at #13 but, if we thought he was going to go sooner, #13 and #16 could likely be traded for #10. Otherwise, there's a bunch of players in that 13-16 range who have potential: Chriss, Luwawu or, my latest binkie, Prince.

June 23 is going to be an interesting evening.

Mike

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
This makes no sense for Philadelphia. Why would they want Dunn? Why would they need the #3 pick?

Noel can't shoot. Simmons can't shoot. Embiid can't play (maybe). Okafor can shoot but - in this scenario at least - is being traded.

Now add Dunn to the mix... guess what he has in common with the other starters? He can't shoot! Murray would be a much better choice for them, or trade Okafor for an established point guard who can actually drain a jumper or two in a game. Or sign one as a free agent. The only way Dunn makes any sense is if they take Ingram first.

Anyway, even assuming they want to draft a guard, they will (likely) have one of Murray, Dunn, or Hield if they trade for the #5 (Minnesota) or #6 (New Orleans). Yes I know Hield isn't a PG, but he provides something that team needs. I don't think they'll need the #3 to accomplish their goals.