Author Topic: CBS Sports Latest Mock: Sixers Trade Okafor to Celts for 3rd Pick, take Dunn  (Read 19025 times)

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hmm, I'm a little torn on Okafor.

His raw numbers seem pretty good, but I don't know how his advanced stats stack up, especially in the rebounding, defense, and PPP departments. Can anyone help me out with that?

Also, isn't Okafor as much of a knucklehead as Cousins? Or am I off base?

And he's a Dukie, which is a major deduction in my book. But if he wore the Green, I'd cheer for him.

Well, Okafor's problems have been off the court while Cousins' problems have been on. I don't think Cousins has gotten in trouble with the law even once, and I don't think Okafor's ever had serious issues with teammates/coaches.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I wouldn't be too against this. The optimist in me says Okafor just needs to play for a team that's better suited for him. That isn't the Sixers.

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Mock is trash. They didn't have Korkmaz drafted in the top 30.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

His raw numbers seem pretty good, but I don't know how his advanced stats stack up, especially in the rebounding, defense, and PPP departments. Can anyone help me out with that?

RPM rated him as the worst center in the league, by a wide margin.  That doesn't mean he can't improve and succeed in a different system, but it's not a point in his favor.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would not flip out if this happened.  Okafor has his warts though but he would be an upgrade for us down low and can score.  He shoots 50% and gets 7 boards a game, score 17.5 PPG and 1.2 BPG.   Good-bye Sully and good riddance.

Stats vs various teams

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3135048/jahlil-okafor

He also has a nice 7'5 wingspan, and 9'2 reach.   

He can still get in better condition, but is a beast at 270

I have seen him go end to end a few times. You don't see a player his size able to do that

I think he can get more comfortable shooting the 15-18 ft  jumper

But most of the time will be hanging around the post

Celtics 4 will need to be a mobile guy. Jerebko pretty much firs the bill.  Skal in a year would also be able to. Jordan Mickey too

KO can take care of things for us from the bench

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
There is one big aspect to this type of a deal that everyone is ignoring imo. That is, it is generally a very bad practice to trade within your division, especially to your long term rival who is also at a similar stage in rebuilding as you.

I mean, let's pretend for the sake of argument that we all want to trade #3 for Okafor for the benefit of the Celtics. By doing so, we give the Sixers exactly what they need to balance out a stacked roster of top tier prospects, giving them a core of: Embiid, Noel, Saric, Simmons, and Dunn. We would be likely facing that team in the playoffs for a decade. The Dunn trade could haunt us for an entire era.

If we don't make this trade, they are forced to go ahead with no good PG, and three young top prospect centers, with the whole league knowing they need to move one of the 3 , and lowballing them.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think that would be a great trade .... for Philadelphia.

K.Dunn is a better talent than J.Okafor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:18:45 PM by Who »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sounds like we'd make out like bandits if we were able to snag Okafor for just the 3rd pick.  I still think there's a good chance they'll have better options.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Hmm, I'm a little torn on Okafor.

Also, isn't Okafor as much of a knucklehead as Cousins? Or am I off base?

And he's a Dukie, which is a major deduction in my book. But if he wore the Green, I'd cheer for him.

Well, Okafor's problems have been off the court while Cousins' problems have been on. I don't think Cousins has gotten in trouble with the law even once, and I don't think Okafor's ever had serious issues with teammates/coaches.

RPM rated him as the worst center in the league, by a wide margin.  That doesn't mean he can't improve and succeed in a different system, but it's not a point in his favor.

Thanks—TPs for both of you.

I definitely want a legit offensive center, and it's encouraging to see that he's getting some blocks and rebounds as well, though I think he should be able to average double-digit rebounds.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm not the biggest Okafor fan but I don't see how that's not a good deal for Boston.  Of the possibilities at #3, we'd be looking at two guys who are years away from being legitimate NBA players (Dragen and Murray) and a guy who could be very good but plays a position where there's always a lot of talent available (Hield).

Okafor's meh rebounding and horrible defense are a concern but he's substantially better offensively than Brook Lopez was as a rookie.  He might be a player you have to build around to cover his weaknesses but Ainge has the resources to do that and having the best low-post scorer in the league for the next 12-15 years is too tempting to pass up.

Mike

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think that would be a great trade .... for Philadelphia.

nope.  Its a nice trade for both teams. 

I couldn't care less about the 76ers anyways.  They are going to stink for another year or two.  Unless Embiid is going to turn out to to be amazing.

Saric should help.  Very high iq plus 6'10 size

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Would be interesting if...Lakers take Dragan Bender at #2. And then Celtics trade the #3 for Okafor.

Then Philly will draft both Simmons and Ingram with #1 and #3. Dang.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Would be interesting if...Lakers take Dragan Bender at #2. And then Celtics trade the #3 for Okafor.

true.  doubt it though

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm not the biggest Okafor fan but I don't see how that's not a good deal for Boston.  Of the possibilities at #3, we'd be looking at two guys who are years away from being legitimate NBA players (Dragen and Murray) and a guy who could be very good but plays a position where there's always a lot of talent available (Hield).

Okafor's meh rebounding and horrible defense are a concern but he's substantially better offensively than Brook Lopez was as a rookie.  He might be a player you have to build around to cover his weaknesses but Aingxe has the resources to do that and having the best low-post scorer in the league for the next 12-15 years is too tempting to pass up.

Mike

That name just made me shudder!  No defense and no rebounding. Let's hope he's not as fragile.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The Cs would just hold onto the pick and select Ingram.
Celtics fan for life.