Author Topic: Minni-Boston Trade Idea  (Read 2146 times)

Minni-Boston Trade Idea
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:48:55 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I have been thinking about Minnesota and their recent major front office changes, and their need to make roster moves this offseason. Minni has a lot of guys at the Center position, which is still a position of need for us. They have Towns, Pekovic, and Dieng. All could start on a team, and there are simply not enough minutes for them.

So here is my idea:

Boston:
Terry Rozier, 16th pick

Minnesota:
Gorgui Dieng

Additionally, with Thibs taking over as head of everything, I think that Rozier would fit in well with his defense heavy style of basketball. And while he is not the offensive coordinating player that Rubio is (his shot is probably better though), he probably is both a superior athlete and defensive player.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

Re: Minni-Boston Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I have been thinking about Minnesota and their recent major front office changes, and their need to make roster moves this offseason. Minni has a lot of guys at the Center position, which is still a position of need for us. They have Towns, Pekovic, and Dieng. All could start on a team, and there are simply not enough minutes for them.

So here is my idea:

Boston:
Terry Rozier, 16th pick

Minnesota:
Gorgui Dieng

Additionally, with Thibs taking over as head of everything, I think that Rozier would fit in well with his defense heavy style of basketball. And while he is not the offensive coordinating player that Rubio is (his shot is probably better though), he probably is both a superior athlete and defensive player.

Don't think they would trade Dieng because he is their starting Center and they have no backup rim protector. Pekovic is always injured and is making $10M+ per year.

Also unsure if they would want Rozier since they have Tyus Jones, Rubio and LaVine all able to be PG.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Would love that trade... but I would include our pick instead of the Mavs

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
Don't think they would trade Dieng because he is their starting Center and they have no backup rim protector. Pekovic is always injured and is making $10M+ per year.

Also unsure if they would want Rozier since they have Tyus Jones, Rubio and LaVine all able to be PG.

Isn't Towns their Starting Center? He is listed as a Center.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

So here is my idea:

Boston:
Terry Rozier, 16th pick

Minnesota:
Gorgui Dieng

Dieng is actually their starting PF. Towns is their de-facto center of the future, and the Wolves eventually need a floor-spacing PF if they want to be competitive. Dieng is interesting because the Saunders/Mitchell regime was hesitant to start him, but once they did in the second half of this past season (along with making Lavine the starting SG), the Wolves started to play much better. However, like I said, Dieng significantly caps the Wovles' long-term upside, and he is quite old (I believe 27).

Depending on what Thibideau thinks about Dieng, I think he could definitely be had. Contrary to popular belief, Dieng is a historically bad one-on-one post defender. However, I don't know if Rozier + 16 is enough to get Dieng. I could see the Wolves falling in love with Bender and trading #5 + Dieng for #3, though.

I only know this because the Wolves are my second-favorite team in the NBA. I've been a fan since the Kevin-Love days, and I always keep tabs on their record and organizational happenings.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

Isn't Towns their Starting Center? He is listed as a Center.

He plays quite a bit at Center but Dieng normally starts alongside him and plays quality minutes. Dieng averaged 27MPG last season.  I'd love Dieng on Boston, but just don't see them making him available via trade at least for that package.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Interesting topic.
Dieng is fast and has fine range, he would fit well offensively,
but defensive metrics don't favor him. It that sense he wouldn't fit our defensive anchor need. His age certainly would though. I think we would be better of with an Ezeli, Mahinmi, Biyombo type of center. We can and probably will draft a better version of Dieng.
I'd rule out Pek out of any disscution, i think his days as a productive NBA player are over.
Shabazz was their small ball 4, so there is some depth in Minny to pull the deal.
Overall, Thibs needs to check them out first before trading anyone and draft is still a month away. I would love to see Buddy there.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Dieng is going to need to be paid next year (along with KO). I don't know why we would give up the #16 from last year and the #16 from this year without getting a significant upgrade over Amir.

I would rather just overpay for Biyombo at this point. He is younger, more explosive, and has continued to show improvement. Both are going to make a lot of money, but one won't cost us any assets.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:34:18 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd rather see us keep the #3 pick, and try to get our hands on Hield by dealing with Minni for the #5 pick. 

Bradley, #16, #23 and #31 seems like more than fair compensation, and also gives them a vet defensive bulldog that Thibs would love to have at his disposal.  Maybe that's an overpay on our behalf, but if Ainge really thinks both Buddy and Bender have all star potential then why not?

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

So here is my idea:

Boston:
Terry Rozier, 16th pick

Minnesota:
Gorgui Dieng

I like it, but I really love Rozier.  I think he's got a chance to be special for a long time in this league.  At 22 yrs old, I keep the development going and chance it with him unless I get an all star in a return package that helps right away.

Rozier has it all to me.  IQ, Passing ability, quickness on Off & Def, rebounds the ball, and can get  to the rim with that speed.  If he perfects his mid-range pull up game, I don't see how he can be stopped.

How about his growth during last season late ?  I mean you saw it with every game , step by step.  What's going to happen if that continues 2-3 years down the road ?  He's going to be darn good IMO

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

So here is my idea:

Boston:
Terry Rozier, 16th pick

Minnesota:
Gorgui Dieng

Dieng is actually their starting PF. Towns is their de-facto center of the future, and the Wolves eventually need a floor-spacing PF if they want to be competitive. Dieng is interesting because the Saunders/Mitchell regime was hesitant to start him, but once they did in the second half of this past season (along with making Lavine the starting SG), the Wolves started to play much better. However, like I said, Dieng significantly caps the Wovles' long-term upside, and he is quite old (I believe 27).

Depending on what Thibideau thinks about Dieng, I think he could definitely be had. Contrary to popular belief, Dieng is a historically bad one-on-one post defender. However, I don't know if Rozier + 16 is enough to get Dieng. I could see the Wolves falling in love with Bender and trading #5 + Dieng for #3, though.

I only know this because the Wolves are my second-favorite team in the NBA. I've been a fan since the Kevin-Love days, and I always keep tabs on their record and organizational happenings.

I agree with but would think that #3+#23 for Dieng and #5 would make sense if minn doesn't think "there guy" will fall to 5. The Cs could still land the player they want and get Dieng who should fit nicely on the Cs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That would be an overpay. Either one of Rozier or the #16 is enough straight up for Dieng.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

So here is my idea:

Boston:
Terry Rozier, 16th pick

Minnesota:
Gorgui Dieng

I agree with but would think that #3+#23 for Dieng and #5 would make sense if minn doesn't think "there guy" will fall to 5. The Cs could still land the player they want and get Dieng who should fit nicely on the Cs.

I think several mocks assume Minny would want to take Hield at 5 to help with their outside shooting, which is weak spot.  Why would they deal the pick to us to take Hield? Doesn't make sense. I think that is the guy they are targeting. 

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 09:13:29 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Murray would be a good fit for Minny too, and he may be gone at 5.