Author Topic: Kupchak has made us a favour  (Read 4354 times)

Re: Kupchak has made us a favour
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 11:49:24 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
There's no way the Lakers draft Bender over Ingram. That would be the dumbest move a franchise could ever make. Even though I hate the Lakers and would love that to happen, its not happening.

It may be possible.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
You can count me in the camp of those that are high on Bender, but if the Lakers want him, they can have him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 05:16:31 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Which Bender are we talking about?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:21 PM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I would be pretty surprised but this LA team also took Russell over Okafor when not many people saw that coming; especially with LA's history of elite centers.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Really if bender is the player that the people who ae supposed to know basketball think he is, then picking him over Ingram isn’t much of a reach.   The biggest issue people have with Bender is the limited sample of work available to the general fan. The Lakers and Celtics were in Israel.  They saw him play live.  They saw him practice live. Teams have been following Bender since 2013, even before he put up 11 points on Porzingis in a tournament that year.   I think Bender’s a floor is a 7’1 Mike Miller, which would be great, and his ceiling is something we haven’t seen yet.   

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I actually like Bender a lot, but this "we've never seen anything like him" train of thought is a little nuts IMO. Really? Never?

Not from Porzingis last year (dominated in Europe as a 19 year old and was a star right away in the NBA and is 7'3" and shooting 3s and blocking shots)?

Not from Pau Gasol back in the day?

Not when Rubio played in Euroleague AT AGE 16?

He's as good as 18 year-old freshman Karl Towns or Anthony Davis? Or Jonathan Bender, who was 7 foot and insanely skilled out of high school? Or Kevin Garnett when drafted?

None of those guys are exactly like each other, but he's far from the first 18 year old who appeared to "have it all". Many of those guys were more advanced at the same age.

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I actually like Bender a lot, but this "we've never seen anything like him" train of thought is a little nuts IMO. Really? Never?

Not from Porzingis last year (dominated in Europe as a 19 year old and was a star right away in the NBA and is 7'3" and shooting 3s and blocking shots)?

He's as good as 18 year-old freshman Karl Towns or Anthony Davis? Or Jonathan Bender, who was 7 foot and insanely skilled out of high school? Or Kevin Garnett when drafted?

None of those guys are exactly like each other, but he's far from the first 18 year old who appeared to "have it all". Many of those guys were more advanced at the same age.

Agents gotta hype their clients before the draft.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 02:37:14 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Agents gotta hype their clients before the draft.

Of course, but I'm referring to posters here. He's a good prospect that a lot of teams would like to have, but geez. There's a reason why nobody sees him going top-2. If he was on par with clear #1s from the past, or even the immortal Porzingis, he'd be in the conversation for #1 overall. He's a lottery pick with some risk attached and no better or worse than a lot of players than have gone top 5 in past years.