Author Topic: 2016-2017 Draft and Roster  (Read 1667 times)

2016-2017 Draft and Roster
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
#3-Bender- trade him. I would shop him to every potential team as if we already picked him. I am interested in getting a top 14 pick in next year's draft and another top 15 first round pick this year to grab Deyonta Davis or Skal Labissiere as our project. I have no interest in a 4+ year project w/ Bender .

If they don't go this route: Hield, though would love him with 5th/6th pick. Buddy stood out on the court against good comp as they were ranked #1 in the country at one point. I think he is a good SG prospect and we could use an elite shooter that can step in next year. Young/Hunter are still projects.

#16- Sabonis/Ellenson/Brice Johnson. Say bye bye to Sully, and KO might not be too far behind. All 3 do different things, but they seem to work hard and Celtics need to keep picking average to slightly above average PF's in the middle part of the first round. Eventually they'll hit on a pick like this (right?!?) and land a Draymond Green or Paul Milsap. Wishful thinking.

#23- Thon Maker and a 1br condo lease in Portland for 2 (maybe 3) years. This is where I want the Celtics to take chances, not with the #3 pick in the draft. The Bargnani/Jan Vesely picks hurt way worse than the Fab Melo selection. I actually like Maker's potential more than Bender's.

#31- Ben Bentil. Another big man from Africa, though Bentil looks like he's more NBA ready. Again, bye bye Sully.

#35- Gary Payton II- Why not? If he's serviceable, we get another NBA great rooting for the Celtics. If not, sayonara

#45, 51, 58- Use a bunch of these picks to move around the board and get the guy I want, and hopefully get an early 2nd pick next year.

Roster:

guards: Thomas, Bradley, Hield, Rozier, Payton
wings: Smart, Crowder, Hunter, Young
bigs: Pau Gasol/Al Jefferson, A. Johnson, Sabonis/Ellenson, Olynyk, Mickey, Bentil

*Maker in D-league

With available money, I would make one over-paying splash on a veteran player on a short deal. Gasol and Jefferson would fit the bill. I would focus on building the draft pick reserves in order to move up next year and get one of the next Ben Simmons types, hopefully one that can shoot a little better.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs again (good exp for young guys) while preserving cap room for a sunny day. With some maneuvers should be able to pick 4-5 of the top 40 players of each of the next couple drafts.

Re: 2016-2017 Draft and Roster
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I agree with his with the exception of trading Bender. I would be fine if Celtics selected him.

Any number of those PFs at 16 and a boom/bust prospect like Maker at 23 is fine by me.

I really love the idea of packaging the second rounders for a higher pick or player.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
#3-Bender- trade him. I would shop him to every potential team as if we already picked him. I am interested in getting a top 14 pick in next year's draft and another top 15 first round pick this year to grab Deyonta Davis or Skal Labissiere as our project. I have no interest in a 4+ year project w/ Bender .

If they don't go this route: Hield, though would love him with 5th/6th pick. Buddy stood out on the court against good comp as they were ranked #1 in the country at one point. I think he is a good SG prospect and we could use an elite shooter that can step in next year. Young/Hunter are still projects.

#16- Sabonis/Ellenson/Brice Johnson. Say bye bye to Sully, and KO might not be too far behind. All 3 do different things, but they seem to work hard and Celtics need to keep picking average to slightly above average PF's in the middle part of the first round. Eventually they'll hit on a pick like this (right?!?) and land a Draymond Green or Paul Milsap. Wishful thinking.

#23- Thon Maker and a 1br condo lease in Portland for 2 (maybe 3) years. This is where I want the Celtics to take chances, not with the #3 pick in the draft. The Bargnani/Jan Vesely picks hurt way worse than the Fab Melo selection. I actually like Maker's potential more than Bender's.

#31- Ben Bentil. Another big man from Africa, though Bentil looks like he's more NBA ready. Again, bye bye Sully.

#35- Gary Payton II- Why not? If he's serviceable, we get another NBA great rooting for the Celtics. If not, sayonara

#45, 51, 58- Use a bunch of these picks to move around the board and get the guy I want, and hopefully get an early 2nd pick next year.

Roster:

guards: Thomas, Bradley, Hield, Rozier, Payton
wings: Smart, Crowder, Hunter, Young
bigs: Pau Gasol/Al Jefferson, A. Johnson, Sabonis/Ellenson, Olynyk, Mickey, Bentil

*Maker in D-league

With available money, I would make one over-paying splash on a veteran player on a short deal. Gasol and Jefferson would fit the bill. I would focus on building the draft pick reserves in order to move up next year and get one of the next Ben Simmons types, hopefully one that can shoot a little better.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs again (good exp for young guys) while preserving cap room for a sunny day. With some maneuvers should be able to pick 4-5 of the top 40 players of each of the next couple drafts.

Its what Danny's doing now. I can see Danny  making the Bender pick to trade him for something more interesting. I to love Heild and I think he falls on our lap through trade. Danny builds through trade. That's his style. The mystery of what Danny's gonna do is what boggles all of us. We just don't know what he's gonna do. I do not expect Danny to keep Bender if he does in fact draft him. Teams are already calling him about Rozier and Hunter saying they need opportunities. Maybe this is why he drafted players such as Smart, Rozier, Hunter, Young so he can trade them off for better talent. He may draft Bender and let him see the floor a few times next year just to use him as a chip. Danny works in mysterious ways n no one can put a finger on it. Will we get a Butler, Cousins, or Love in the off season ? Who knows but I'm sick of this go to the playoffs every year and not have a top level roster to get past the 1st round. Whatever he does I hope he does it this summer.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It would be tough to take Maker in the first round and not give  him a contract (which is the only way he wouldn't be taking up a roster spot), so we'd probably have to take someone (Young?) off the roster
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:54 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
It would be tough to take Maker in the first round and not give  him a contract (which is the only way he wouldn't be taking up a roster spot), so we'd probably have to take someone (Young?) off the roster

True. With the 8 picks I'm sure Ainge will make moves which includes packaging some players.