Author Topic: Laker Nation: Could Lakers Choose Bender Instead of Ingram?  (Read 6630 times)

Re: Laker Nation: Could Lakers Choose Bender Instead of Ingram?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This trade might make sense for both teams:

Lakers Trade:  D'Angelo Russell, #2 (Ingram)
Philly Trades:  Jahlil Okafor, #1 (Simmons)

Sounds like the Lakers want Simmons.  Philly loved Russell.  Lakers reportedly loved Okafor, but for whatever reason took Russell over him - some suspect it was so they could make Philly trade up to get him.  Philly needs a SF like Ingram  and obviously could use a guard like Russell.

Logical move for both teams unless Philly is convinced Simmons is transcendent and wants to build around him.
I floated the same thing in another thread. That's the swap that makes a ton of sense for both teams.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 11:25:42 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
I hope not. From what I've read on Bender, I'm hoping we get him. It would suck to lose out.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 12:23:27 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Lakers won't draft Bender—they get their centers only from other teams, and only after those players have become really, really good.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 12:44:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Sounds like the Lakers want Simmons.  Philly loved Russell.  Lakers reportedly loved Okafor, but for whatever reason took Russell over him - some suspect it was so they could make Philly trade up to get him.  Philly needs a SF like Ingram  and obviously could use a guard like Russell.

Logical move for both teams unless Philly is convinced Simmons is transcendent and wants to build around him.
I floated the same thing in another thread. That's the swap that makes a ton of sense for both teams.
TP.  As far as I know, Philly would have taken Russell ahead of Okafor, because they really needed a PG/SG and reportedly loved Russell.   It was so public that some speculate the Lakers took Russell just to have leverage over the 76ers.

Well now Philly owns the #1 pick.  Lakers and Ben Simmons apparently have a mutual love for each other.  Now it's Philly with the leverage.  But if you think about Philly's roster construction, it actually makes more sense for them to grab a shooting SF (Ingram) over another PF.

So it's a swap that makes sense.

Lakers would have Clarkson at PG, Simmons and Okafor.  They'd probably look to move Julius Randle.

Philly would have Russell at PG, Ingram at SF, Saric at PF and Noel/Embiid at Center.  Then I guess if they wanted to they could explore moving Noel for a SG - maybe even Marcus Smart.   

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 01:28:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

TP.  As far as I know, Philly would have taken Russell ahead of Okafor, because they really needed a PG/SG and reportedly loved Russell.   It was so public that some speculate the Lakers took Russell just to have leverage over the 76ers.

Well now Philly owns the #1 pick.  Lakers and Ben Simmons apparently have a mutual love for each other.  Now it's Philly with the leverage.  But if you think about Philly's roster construction, it actually makes more sense for them to grab a shooting SF (Ingram) over another PF.

Lakers would have Clarkson at PG, Simmons and Okafor.  They'd probably look to move Julius Randle.

Philly would have Russell at PG, Ingram at SF, Saric at PF and Noel/Embiid at Center.  Then I guess if they wanted to they could explore moving Noel for a SG - maybe even Marcus Smart.

Why wouldn't Philly consider having Saric and Simmons as dual combo forwards, Noel and Embiid at center, and trading Okafor for a guard?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 02:29:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Why wouldn't Philly consider having Saric and Simmons as dual combo forwards, Noel and Embiid at center, and trading Okafor for a guard?
Spacing, I assume. If Simmons can't stretch the floor, having him and Noel in the same frontcourt means recreating the Blake Griffin/Deandre Jordan predicament. Saric as a stretch 4 is probably his best place in the NBA, from what I've heard.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008