Author Topic: Laker Nation: Could Lakers Choose Bender Instead of Ingram?  (Read 6628 times)

Re: Laker Nation: Could Lakers Choose Bender Instead of Ingram?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 07:45:25 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah, I know, I am buying into the hype that Ingram is great and Bender sucks, but I don't care. All we ever wanted was a top 2 pick in this draft; since last Tuesday, we have been trying to convince ourselves that #3 is just as good. It isn't.

To some people the the number 3 pick is very good.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i dont think they will
as they need less of a gamble considering they lose their pick next year and i think year after?
bender is great and would fit their team if he pans out but if he is a bust then LA is pretty doomed in mediocrity for a couple more years

simmons and ingram are safer choices for LA to make and would also fit though somewhat less
as they are both ball handlers where LA already has clarkson, russell and randle need to have the ball on offense

im also doubting the significance of the report as an earlier report said that they also liked Dunn which is an unlikely pick considering they have both clarkson and russell already

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
At least Ingram put up solid numbers last year, something that can't be said of Bender.   We can hope they take him, it would help us.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 08:20:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Never thought Russell would go over Okafor but that seems like the right pick. If LA did take Bender I would think they did their homework again.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
The fact that they are even talking about this just makes me giddy.  Is Mitch trying to throw out this idea to get Danny to pay to move up?

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-could-select-dragan-bender-with-second-overall-draft-pick/2016/05/23/

They just need something to talk about. There's nothing to it

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:53 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I can't tell how you how happy it would make me if Ingram fell to 3 - no way would I trade it for Okafor at that point.

Yeah, I know, I am buying into the hype that Ingram is great and Bender sucks, but I don't care. All we ever wanted was a top 2 pick in this draft; since last Tuesday, we have been trying to convince ourselves that #3 is just as good. It isn't.

I'm still trading Ingram for Okafor. People don't appreciate the awful situation he was in last year. A roster that was built to suck, not to enhance his skill set. A 21 or so game losing streak to begin your NBA career. The thought in your head that your dream was this... okafor punished people last year when he was motivated. If he came here you can guarantee he'd have a point to prove to those who said he is now like the 5th beat player in the draft.

Situation means a lot and investing in Okafor would reap huge dividends

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 07:15:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Never thought Russell would go over Okafor but that seems like the right pick. If LA did take Bender I would think they did their homework again.

Yeah, Russell dominated last year.   Not.   He struggled for a large part of the year.   If they take Bender, I think the dog ate their homework.   Let them take Darko II.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm a Bender guy for #3 but I'd be thrilled if Ingram dropped to 3. 

Ingram is exactly the piece the Celts need.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 10:24:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Maybe they think he is next porzingis

I hope they do pick bender. But in the end won't matter. I think Danny trades for okafor

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »

Offline suitednzooted

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

Russell is a really good player but they definitely should've picked Okafor. I know he's had his struggles off court too but think about how much better Kobe's last hurrah could've been! He will ultimately be one of the best centers in the league. This is first time really losing so he's gonna need some time. But Russell's a whole other kind of immature it seems.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If Lakers don't love Ingram, most likely they are trading that #2 pick for Okafor straight up. 
Then they can enjoy both Russell and Okafor on the same team.

Honestly, I don't mind if that happens.  Okafor can't play a lick of defense. 

Lakers would still need to sign/overpay for a defensive big in free agency such as Festus Ezeli or Bismack Biyombo to compensate for Okafor's lack of defense.

I don't see a Lakers core of Russell/Okafor +Ezeli/Biyombo making much headway in the West.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Yeah, Russell dominated last year.   Not.   He struggled for a large part of the year.   If they take Bender, I think the dog ate their homework.   Let them take Darko II.

But that's mainly because of Byron Scott for misusing him, no? I'm certain Luke Walton will utilize him more efficiently, and now that Kobe's gone things are different!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Lakers want to draft Bender, can the Celtics trade up to him away?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If the Lakers want to draft Bender, can the Celtics trade up to him away?

If the Lakers want Bender?  Then No...  Because then the C's would have to leapfrog LA to the #1 pick and Philly isn't giving up the right to draft Simmons.

If this happened we'd have to settle for Ingram at #3.

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This trade might make sense for both teams:

Lakers Trade:  D'Angelo Russell, #2 (Ingram)
Philly Trades:  Jahlil Okafor, #1 (Simmons)

Sounds like the Lakers want Simmons.  Philly loved Russell.  Lakers reportedly loved Okafor, but for whatever reason took Russell over him - some suspect it was so they could make Philly trade up to get him.  Philly needs a SF like Ingram  and obviously could use a guard like Russell.

Logical move for both teams unless Philly is convinced Simmons is transcendent and wants to build around him.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:18:29 PM by LarBrd33 »