Author Topic: Can someone explain the hype of Marcus Smart to me  (Read 11244 times)

Re: Can someone explain the hype of Marcus Smart to me
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
With his defense and peripheral attributes, Smart need only become a 12-14 point per game scorer (e.g. average for a shooting guard) with an outside shot that merits defending and an ability to get to the rim occasionally, and acceptable efficiency (e.g. 40 / 33 / 70) to be a top 10-15 player at his position.

Doesn't that beg a couple of questions?

1) What is his position?  Point guard?  Shooting guard?  Combo?  Generic "wing"?   If we are going to say he is "top 10-15 at his position", then who are the players we are comparing him to?

2) Is a top 10-15 player at a position an acceptable result for a #6 pick that was the result of tanking?   I feel that's a decent return for such a pick, but nothing to get too overly excited about.  Others may expect more.

As to number one, I think I addressed that in the rest of my post, or tried to at least. I don't think he will ever be a top point guard, but as a secondary ball handler at shooting guard, I think he could reach that level.

Well, again, who are the players to whom he compares at this 'position'?

Hmm, I'd reference guards like George Hill, CJ McCollum, Bradley Beal, Eric Gordon, Monta Ellis, Zach Lavine, Jerryd Bayless, Patrick Beverley, Langston Galloway, Matthew Dellavedova, Jarrett Jack, and so on. 

Does that give you a better sense of what I mean?

Guys you trust to operate on and off the ball, maybe running the offense on the second unit, but who you would not want running the point full time.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So he will be "top 10-15" at his position, but he'll play with the second unit.  ::) ::) ::) Or perhaps he'll play the full 48 minutes for good measure?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
So he will be "top 10-15" at his position, but he'll play with the second unit.  ::) ::) ::) Or perhaps he'll play the full 48 minutes for good measure?

I'm arguing that Smart could be a solidly above average starting guard if used in that kind of role, rather than as a full time point or a full time off-ball shooter.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I wonder if other teams' fans are as insanely and irrationally critical of their own players as Celtics fans are.  ::)

Good freaking Lord. It's like every other day we get an anti-Smart thread driven by the same people over and over and over again. You'd think he's freaking Kwame or Darko by the way some of you guys harp on him.

Maybe the problem isn't with him. Perhaps the problem is with the posters who had unrealistic expectations of him coming in. Just a thought.

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I wonder if other teams' fans are as insanely and irrationally critical of their own players as Celtics fans are.  ::)

Good freaking Lord. It's like every other day we get an anti-Smart thread driven by the same people over and over and over again. You'd think he's freaking Kwame or Darko by the way some of you guys harp on him.

Maybe the problem isn't with him. Perhaps the problem is with the posters who had unrealistic expectations of him coming in. Just a thought.

I think it's that hopes for the teams ability to improve in the future rest with him, and with whoever the Celts take with the third pick. That's why all the threads are about those things.

Seems we all like what the team has done so far in this rebuild but we are all anxious to find out how the team takes the next step.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Have you seen the latest front page Smart article and the comments?   Major hype.    Superstar, allstar, leader,  dynasty are some of the words being used.     He's got fans on both sides.    The hype train is a little over the top as well

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
It's simple: He is an elite defender who appears poised be one of the top five defensive guards, if not THE top defensive guard, by the end of his rookie contract.

I love everyone on here, but too many folks seem to overlook the importance of defense (and, not to go off topic, but also the importance of winning the rebounding battle with a decent front court).

Winning is not all about scoring: It's about having the right combination of TEAM scoring, defending and rebounding. That generally means having a TEAM that consists of some players who excel at scoring, some who excel at defending and some who excel at rebounding (with really good players, you will see excellence in two of the three areas). Do you know what you call a player who excels in all three areas? A superstar, and no matter what you do you will never have more than 1 or 2 of those guys on your team at any given time, so it is best not to dream about having 4 or 5 such players...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:52:55 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2016, 11:00:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Well the biggest thing is that you need a few really excellent two way players. That's what the Celts are really missing.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
- Great defender.
- Great competitor.
- Plays hard all the time, full of energy.
- Albeit not in a very good, he does do a lot of things on the court. He rebounds and fights for rebounds, he hustles, can defend multiple positions, good passer.

He's got a lot of flaws in his offensive game, but with those qualities, that's the kind of guy you want on your team, regardless of where he is in the pecking order.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
He, like Brdley will be 1st team all defense in 2 years time

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
He changes the game when he plays. Furthermore, he does all of the little things that doesn't show up in the boxscore.
Jack of all trades, master of none.