Author Topic: Any interest in Serge Ibaka?  (Read 898 times)

Any interest in Serge Ibaka?
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
He's averaging 12/7, only 26 years old, good defender, good rim protector, can knock down mid range.

His role in OKC is diminishing because Adams and Kanter, he complained about not receiving the ball enough back in March. I don't know what it takes to get him, not sure I'd use the #3 pick, but 16+23+one of our young bigs, KO or maybe Sully sign and trade?

If OKC doesn't pass warriors this year, they'd want to make some change, Ibaka is the most movable player. Even KD stays for another year, they still need to show him they commit to make the team better. As far as I know his contract has one year left at 12m.

Re: Any interest in Serge Ibaka?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Wouldn't mind inquiring but I think two mid 1st round picks is too steep for Ibaka.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wouldn't mind inquiring but I think two mid 1st round picks is too steep for Ibaka.

What is it that makes think that

I get that Ibaka isn't a star, but he's give you elite defence, double figure scoring and frloor spacing (with his outside shot) on a nightly basis. 

That's a very valuable skill set to have on any team, and I think you'd need to be REALLY lucky to get a player as good as him in the mid-late first round, even if you had two swings at it.

I have to say, if OKC called me offering Ibaka for #16 and #23 I would make that trade on the spot, no hesitation.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:34:57 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:00:57 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown

You really think that?

I get that Ibaka isn't a star, but he's give you elite defence, double figure scoring and frloor spacing (with his outside shot) on a nightly basis. 

That's a very valuable skill set to have on any team, and I think you'd need to be REALLY lucky to get a player as good as him in the mid-late first round, even if you had two swings at it.

I have to say, if OKC called me offering Ibaka for #16 and #23 I would make that trade on the spot, no hessitation.

Ibaka will be turning 27 next season so might as well draft a younger version of him with 1 of those 2 picks.

You also mentioned throwing in a young big, which I'm hesitant about, but would depend on the big thrown in. If it was Sully then sure, but I actually like KO on the Celtics current roster.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:02:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Only way Ibaka becomes even remotely available now is if Durant leaves.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:45 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

You really think that?

I have to say, if OKC called me offering Ibaka for #16 and #23 I would make that trade on the spot, no hessitation.

Ibaka will be turning 27 next season so might as well draft a younger version of him with 1 of those 2 picks.

Yeah, because there are loads of shotblocking, athletic bigs who can shoot 3s out there.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:26:33 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown

You really think that?

Yeah, because there are loads of shotblocking, athletic bigs who can shoot 3s out there.

Not at all but I wouldn't want to trade 2 first round picks for Ibaka because he won't make Boston that much better. He'd improve floor spacing and defense somewhat, but Boston wouldn't be able to take the next step.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:32:26 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Two mid first picks won't even get time over Rozier & Mickey.   If we can get a starting caliber center like Ibaka for them, we should be all over it.   

We have seven draft picks, need to get splurgy if you want to improve upon a 48 win season. 

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:39:44 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

You really think that?

You also mentioned throwing in a young big, which I'm hesitant about, but would depend on the big thrown in. If it was Sully then sure, but I actually like KO on the Celtics current roster.

I didn't mention anything about throwing in a big - not sure where you got that.  Maybe somebody else mentioned it?

Now that you mention it though, I wouldn't really have an issue including either Mickey, Olynyk, Sully or Jerebko along with the two firsts for Ibaka.  He's just a much better player than any of those three guys.

I also disagree that he wouldn't improve out team much.  Even Amir Johnson made is substantially better when he was on the court, and Ibaka is basically a rich-man's Amir Johnson with a jump shot.

To be honest, I'd take Ibaka over Horford...

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:48:32 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
If we were to trade for Jahleel Okafor I really couldn't imagine a better fit to stick next to him than Ibaka.

With all of our picks, 2 firsts and one of our bigs would absolutley be a fair price. I've also heard that a good size section of the fan base wants Mitch Mcgary to get a real shot at some rotation minutes. Think Ibaka should be one of the main targets this off-season.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:47:24 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Only way Ibaka becomes even remotely available now is if Durant leaves.

Oh..dear, looks like OKC is killing Warriors.

Anyway, the reason I think Ibaka can be available:

1. He's not totally happy with the new coach
2. Next year is his contract year, he'll demand big money, his current $12m is a bargain, OKC may not want to offer the money he wants because KD and Westbrook need to get paid first.
3. Because all 3 of them become FA next year, OKC could end up with none, so they may decide to trade him first and get some return without affecting their flexibility.
4. he's now less important a player than Steve Adams, OKC will still be strong if they get a quality big back
5. If OKC doesn't win this year, they need to improve, trade Ibaka may bring them pieces that make the team better

Ok, a lot depends on KD, but I don't think Ibaka is untouchable.

16+23+one of KO, Sully, Jereko, or maybe Johnson is reasonable
I'd throw in Young, Micky and any 2 second round picks,
I'd even throw in Rozier or Hunter if that makes the deal
Or maybe change 23 to next year's pick.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:19 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Okafor-Ibaka-Crowder-Bradley-Thomas starting five is beyond solid.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:55:44 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Skal have the potential to be an Ibaka type player or even better. I wouldn't trade our lottery pick for a role player. But #16 and 23 sounds good deal. You could even package some of our players with it along with 2nd rounders.

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
If we were to trade for Jahleel Okafor I really couldn't imagine a better fit to stick next to him than Ibaka.

With all of our picks, 2 firsts and one of our bigs would absolutley be a fair price. I've also heard that a good size section of the fan base wants Mitch Mcgary to get a real shot at some rotation minutes. Think Ibaka should be one of the main targets this off-season.

Honestly, if we did get Ibaka that might be the ONLY scenario where I would actually somewhat submit to the idea of trading for Okafor.

I still wouldn't LIKE it, but I could at least begin to sell myself on the idea that MAYBE it cold become something other than a COMPLETE disaster.