Author Topic: Trading for Okafor would give us a great trade chip for years to come....  (Read 5697 times)

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Interesting Read from Philly Prospective...

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/5/26/11784678/sixers-mailbag-jahlil-okafor-boston-celtics-chicago-bulls-duke

Good article. TP. Phoenix is an intriguing trade partner with Phili for Okafor. The Suns certainly have plenty of talented point guards.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Interesting Read from Philly Prospective...

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/5/26/11784678/sixers-mailbag-jahlil-okafor-boston-celtics-chicago-bulls-duke

Thanks for posting. I also found this on the front page:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/5/20/11720752/will-the-sixers-revisit-trading-jahlil-okafor-to-boston

This article is specifically about trading Okafor for the #3. I also found it interesting that while the author of the article would want more (Smart, too? No way!), the poll results show that more than half of voters would do the deal straight up - 53% to 47% (4186 to 3752 - that's a decent sample size).

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Head to head vs towns and he killed him.... ya'll are bugging man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VGdpFAhCM

You can really tell he's been playing against Towns for years in this clip. No hesitation, he knows which moves will work because he's tried them all against KAT in their matchups over the past 5-10 years.

I think this speaks well to his ability to improve over time. As Jah's body matures so will his ability to use his size as leverage to create space. Couple that with his greater understanding of what moves will work on which players and IMO Okafor projects as a top 10 center.

All of that being said he should struggle with the Al Jefferson problem of being too skilled to get fouled regularly. One of the biggest reasons post scoring has fallen out of favor is that it can take 10-15 to 15 of prodding the defense to generate 2 points and if you finish with a smooth hook shot the defender won't even end up fouling you. One thing that Okafor does have going for him over Jefferson though is that his faceup game. JO has a decent first step and can use long deliberate strides to either finish at the rim or set up a low post move form an improved position. Despite his limitations, Okafor is probably one of the best chances that we have to acquiring a future top 30 player.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If can't get Boogie

Then we NEED Oakfor .

Eventually the Big men will dominate again. Just a matter of time ...when Bron leaves the landscape drastically shifts.  The Lakers will eventually land Townes or Davis from their scrub teams .....and the race is on again with Celtics

We need to load up with a talented young Center ......Oakfor , Drummond would help.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just remember that we are trying to get the best asset out of this 3rd pick.

If we bring in Okafor it isn't necessarily because he's the player of the future for us, it means that Danny can use him better than anything else he can get in this draft to get a star player here down the road. We'd have Okafor locked up under contract as a rookie which would let us fire trade proposals basically every summer and we can build his value up tremendously while he's here.

eg if Blake Griffin or some other top 10 guys becomes available, then Okafor has the best foundation for Brad/Danny to work with and develop into that major trade chip like Big AL.

He's not just thinking about who will be the best player for us (although that's certainly a part of it, it's not the whole equation).

We'd get to look at Okafor better than any other teams and we'd be able to determine if we should keep him or trade him over a period of time.
There are a few problems with your analysis.

1 - Will Okafor's value every be more than it is now? Is his "potential" keeping his value higher now than it will be with another year of mediocre development will make it?
2 - What time frame? Eventually his contract runs out, like all players. He would have to be traded with enough time left on his contract so that the team that gets him in time to extend his rookie deal
3 - Will he end up in the low value borderline max contract land? Greg Monroe was on the way out in Detroit for years. How come they couldn't trade him? If he was a guy who would clearly have more value to a team than the value of a max deal, he would have been snatched up.
4 - How much will Okafor cost? Is the #3 enough for Philly? Will they want other assets?

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I worry that okafor is destined to be the kind of guy you love on paper, but get cornered into signing to a max contract based on his size and offensive numbers, then is immediately regretted, is net neutral in terms of winning games, and becomes kind of a bleh trade chip (greg monroe, al jefferson, brook lopez)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
You don't trade for someone to use as a trading chip. That is why you have 3 way trades. You trade for someone only if you want him on your team. Period. I wonder how much value Okafor will have on this team given his back to the style of play. Have not watched much tape on him but Ainge has and will have a view one way or the other. The fact that he was rumored to want him him last trade deadline suggests he thinks he can fit in and improve the roster.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think I'd rather have Bender.  Okafor can't play defense and has a poor attitude off the court.  Why trade for a problem child now when the Sixers are going to have a glut of big men after drafting Simmons?

I say wait for the Sixers to blink, then move lesser assets for Okafor if the Sixers still haven't traded him yet.

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
I think I'd rather have Bender.  Okafor can't play defense and has a poor attitude off the court.  Why trade for a problem child now when the Sixers are going to have a glut of big men after drafting Simmons?

I say wait for the Sixers to blink, then move lesser assets for Okafor if the Sixers still haven't traded him yet.

I feel like this is exactly what Danny is doing. He doesn't have to make any trades. Everyone thinks he does but were a 48 win team with a 3 pick, an all star, and a young roster with a ton of options. Danny is under zero pressure. And that is why the rest of the league hates him. We're are in the most enviable position in the league, I'd say Philly is right there but are missing a huge component.. A winning ball club. Like I always say though, I'm worried about them in the future. Let's not help them be better then us for the next decade.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The thing with Okafor is he is a huge upgrade over both KO and Sully. While Big Ja is still limited with his jumpers, I see a potential on extending his range to 3 point line. And he will also be an upgrade just with his size alone. The thing with him on the D is we better keep him disciplined. If both KO and Sully improved their D somehow, I can't see why Jahlil not.

The bad locker room presence is overblown, imo. It's just a result of bad environment for Okafor.

Nope, Okafor is obviously as good as he is ever going to get as a 20 year old. There is no way he can improve upon any aspect of his game. It is proven because many people on CB say so.

TP.

And he couldn't possibly be as good as the Euromistake that two-thirds of this board has absolutely fallen in love with.

These Okafor threads are entertainment you just can't buy.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
It blows my mind some people dont want us to trade for okafor because he needs work defensively. Offensively hes just what we need. A big to run the floor, lay it in, and make moves for himself. Especially when we are so starved for offense on our team and the rest of our team is built around defense. He'll give us some balance! Plus this is only his second season and he will surely improve.

He doesn't exactly need work defensively. He's somewhere between Al Jefferson and Andrea Bargnani defensively which is akin to being between Kendrick Perkins and Omer Asik offensively. IOW, there ain't no hope with his reaction time being a tad faster than a real statue, but slower than a living one.

Ok he sucks defensively. He's 20. Could he every become a great defender? probably not.

Could he become an average defender? Most definitely. Offensively he's already great.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It blows my mind some people dont want us to trade for okafor because he needs work defensively. Offensively hes just what we need. A big to run the floor, lay it in, and make moves for himself. Especially when we are so starved for offense on our team and the rest of our team is built around defense. He'll give us some balance! Plus this is only his second season and he will surely improve.

He doesn't exactly need work defensively. He's somewhere between Al Jefferson and Andrea Bargnani defensively which is akin to being between Kendrick Perkins and Omer Asik offensively. IOW, there ain't no hope with his reaction time being a tad faster than a real statue, but slower than a living one.

Ok he sucks defensively. He's 20. Could he every become a great defender? probably not.

Could he become an average defender? Most definitely. Offensively he's already great.

Overall his advanced stats were among the worst for centers in the NBA. That's a long way from being great on one side of the ball already and average on the other someday just because he'll get experience and coaching.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
And some of us believe those "advanced stats" are garbage.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
And some of us believe those "advanced stats" are garbage.

The basketball equivalent of an anti-vaxxer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm totally on board with landing Okafor.  There's a chance he'd go in the top 2 in this draft.