Author Topic: Trading for Okafor would give us a great trade chip for years to come....  (Read 5684 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Just remember that we are trying to get the best asset out of this 3rd pick.

If we bring in Okafor it isn't necessarily because he's the player of the future for us, it means that Danny can use him better than anything else he can get in this draft to get a star player here down the road. We'd have Okafor locked up under contract as a rookie which would let us fire trade proposals basically every summer and we can build his value up tremendously while he's here.

eg if Blake Griffin or some other top 10 guys becomes available, then Okafor has the best foundation for Brad/Danny to work with and develop into that major trade chip like Big AL.

He's not just thinking about who will be the best player for us (although that's certainly a part of it, it's not the whole equation).

We'd get to look at Okafor better than any other teams and we'd be able to determine if we should keep him or trade him over a period of time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:39:33 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Okafor.

With 2 o's and no u's

Sorry to be the spelling police but it's driving me nuts.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I was thinking about this today also. For example if I'm sacramento, I'd much rather have okafor than the 3rd pick as my core of the deal. He's like a less defensively inclined version of cousins who probably won't be able to shoot outside, but whose ceiling offensively is better in the post than cousins. This same logic applies to almost any star you can think of.

Unless bender blows people away in workouts, I would expect okafor to be the trade.
#JKJB

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Okafor.

With 2 o's and no u's

Sorry to be the spelling police but it's driving me nuts.

I'm a bit of a grammar/spelling Nazi too. Fixed now boss. I just realized maybe this is why I don't like much that triboy offers because it's always accompanied by a 'sigh'.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Although I'm not opposed to trading for Jahlil Okafor, I'm thinking more and more that Ainge will use the #3 selection to draft Bender, Hield or someone else. 

I'd be happy either way because I trust Ainge and his direction for the team.

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Chad Finn wrote this same thing...I'm assuming that's where you may have gotten the idea.

I love getting Okafor on this team for years....BUT knowing Ainge he may just want to go the route of 2007 and make Okafor=Al Jefferson.

I could see this happening more than a calculated gamble on Bender or Hield (who I am really high on)

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Here is a question for all the pro Okafor crowd.  Do you think Durant or any of the long list of free agents next year including Chris Paul and Westbrook, would rather play with Okafor or with a hypothetical combination of any of Porzingis, Ibaka, Jokic, Olynyk frontcourt?  To me the answer is crystal clear.

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
Here is a question for all the pro Okafor crowd.  Do you think Durant or any of the long list of free agents next year including Chris Paul and Westbrook, would rather play with Okafor or with a hypothetical combination of any of Porzingis, Ibaka, Jokic, Olynyk frontcourt?  To me the answer is crystal clear.

Not completely understanding your answer...but I think Danny's trying to set up for 2017 free agency class where he'll use Okafor as a trade chip....we'll already have a presumably high draft pick from the Nets to go along with a blue chip star in Okafor and other pieces such as M. Smart.

In 2017 the C's should be set to get 2 or 3 stars and possibly acquire one of them by trading Okafor....not sure if we could do that with Bender.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Are you talking about how Okafor's defense sinks the Celtics into the lottery and gives them another draft pick to use as an asset?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Are you talking about how Okafor's defense sinks the Celtics into the lottery and gives them another draft pick to use as an asset?

LOL

Or how Okafor's development under Stevens might turn him into an anchor of the Celtics for 15 years?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

LOL

Or how Okafor's development under Stevens might turn him into an anchor of the Celtics for 15 years?

The fact remains that the Sixers were worse when he was on the floor, he is an atrocious defender (especially in space), is a poor rebounder (particularly defensively), has a knack of holding the ball too much (not a great fit with the way Stevens wants the ball to flow), and gets his shot blocked a lot due to his lack of athletic ability.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
So let me get this straight:

The reason we want to trade for him, is so we can trade him?

Huh?

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

LOL

I kid somewhat, but I see Okafor improving the Celtics in the same way that Greg Monroe improved the Bucks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
So let me get this straight:

The reason we want to trade for him, is so we can trade him?

Huh?

could be a possibility....Stevens has a way of creating value to 'projects'....see Jordan Crawford...
NOW I'm not saying that we will trade Okafor once he gets her BUT he could be a piece to get a bigger piece..

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

LOL

I kid somewhat, but I see Okafor improving the Celtics in the same way that Greg Monroe improved the Bucks.

Considering the age and development difference, I don't.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."