Author Topic: Realistic Offseason  (Read 1343 times)

Realistic Offseason
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Draft
Trade Pick #3 + Marcus Smart to Philly for Okafor
Pick #16: Denzel Valentine
Pick #23: Thon Maker
Pick #31: Zhou Qi (Draft & Stash)
Pick #35: Khalil Felder
Pick #45: Ante Zizic (Draft & Stash)
Pick #51: ???
Pick #58: ???

Sign/Retain
  • Sign Harrison Barnes (I'd rather let JJ walk and pay for Barnes to see if he can thrive in a non-secondary role...plus he may not get the full max contract dollars so maintains cap flexibility going fwd)
    Sign Evan Turner (2 year Amir Johnson like contract ~12m/yr)
    Retain Amir Johnson

New Team
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Amir Johnson
C: Jahlil Okafor

Bench: Terry Rozier/Evan Turner/RJ Hunter/Jae Crowder/Denzel Valentine/Thon Maker/Kelly Olynyk/Jordan Mickey

Unrealistic (but potential)
**You find a way to get 1 of the big name free agents to join (i.e. KD, DeMar DeRozan, etc.) and release Amir Johnson** Lets just say for kicks and giggles it is KD we can convince.

Isaiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Harrison Barnes
Kevin Durant
Jahlil Okafor

Re: Realistic Offseason
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Welcome to CB!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Welcome to CBS, TP for the thread.

On point 1, I would much rather include bradley or rozier than smart with the Brooklyn pick, even if we had to add a few of the mid seconds to compensate. Marcus just seems to be scratching the surface on his potential, and he seems like the kind of competitor this team will need to keep Okafor's eccentricities in check (not to mention get in oaks face when he doesn't try on defense.)

On point 2. - yea, we all want KD. I just don't see him leaving OKC anymore since it looks like the warriors might actually lose. If KD has the single greatest finals run in history, how can he spin that to leave ya know? Some of the other agents (derozan) might pick LA as he is an LA kid (matters to some people more than basketball, or he stays in Toronto given that they have played the cavs well.

Barnes might be interesting, but I just worry we would pay a max contract to someone who is slightly better offensively than crowder, and alot worse defensively.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Thanks for the warm welcome. Been a Celtics die hard since '79.

I agree on the point that we would rather include Rozier/Bradley than Smart. No brainer. But Philly has alll the leverage and can argue that Jahlil has achieved far greater success than Marcus Smart in the league and that this year's pick, while an equivalent 3rd pick, is definitely an inferior draft class to 2015.

On KD, agreed. If he listens, I still give him coming to Boston a 1% chance especially after OKC's deep run this year. A far more plausible scenario has him signing for 1 year with OKC to take advantage on inflating cap figures. San Antonio seems like a team and destination that could lure him away (Aldridge/Leonard) with the expiring contracts of Duncan/Ginobli. Plus, taxes are far more beneficial in Texas and they have that going for them too. A lot of benefits.

I don't see Barnes commanding a full max deal. Maybe I understate his market value but max seems like a pretty big gamble and I would be opposed to this. I think something on the order of $15m per year but I guess we're splitting hairs as the max contract value for 0-6 years is ~$16.5m and if you believe he is a player you want to bet on, you go for it.

Another player I love is DeMar DeRozan but rumor has him hooking up with LAL and it would seem strange for him to downgrade to the Celtics having just completed a deep playoff run with the Raptors. Unless he is the 2nd of a few moves in advance of this.

Either way, Ainge has a bevy of options at his disposal. Anxious to see...

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Draft

Sign/Retain
  • Sign Harrison Barnes (I'd rather let JJ walk and pay for Barnes to see if he can thrive in a non-secondary role...plus he may not get the full max contract dollars so maintains cap flexibility going fwd)
    Retain Amir Johnson

New Team

Bench: Terry Rozier/Evan Turner/RJ Hunter/Jae Crowder/Denzel Valentine/Thon Maker/Kelly Olynyk/Jordan Mickey

**You find a way to get 1 of the big name free agents to join (i.e. KD, DeMar DeRozan, etc.) and release Amir Johnson** Lets just say for kicks and giggles it is KD we can convince.

Isaiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Harrison Barnes
Kevin Durant
Jahlil Okafor

This is a major overapay for Okafor. He's worth the #3 pick OR Smart, but certainly not both. If they ask for that, then I'm more than happy to just roll the dice with Bender. Okafor isn't worth an overpay like that.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would not give Philly anything but the 3rd pick straight up for Okafor. They have no leverage. Now maybe they can argue but C's don't have to listen because Smart helps win games and is and elite defender. Smart isn't a throw in with the third overall he is an overpay. Philly is also taking another big man in Simmons while still stuck with three Centers. Their best bet for a C's deal/trade is Noel for Rozier, the 16th and 31st pick. Philly should also try a late first and Okafor to LA for Russell first. The 3+Smart isn't happening

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think that Rozier and #3 is a reasonable compromise between offering #3 only and #3 with Smart.  I also like the Barnes signing and am willing to overpay. I prefer a small ball lineup that moves Crowder to the 4 rather than Johnson. I'm on the fence as to keeping AJ at all. I would hope that young guys like Mickey and one of the other bigs that we draft with our 7 other picks could secure rotation spots. By my rough calculation, we could also get some veteran help at the 4/5 by letting AJ go and using the cap space. Turner can stay on a reasonable deal, but it's probably time to move on from Jerebko, Sullinger, Zeller and AJ.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Draft

Sign/Retain
    Retain Amir Johnson

New Team

Isaiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Harrison Barnes
Kevin Durant
Jahlil Okafor

This is a major overapay for Okafor. He's worth the #3 pick OR Smart, but certainly not both. If they ask for that, then I'm more than happy to just roll the dice with Bender. Okafor isn't worth an overpay like that.
agreed - definitely an overpay for Okafor.  #3 pick would be plenty.  if not a deal for Okafor, look to move down with a deal with Minny or Sac using #3 to get their first (Minny #5, Sac #8) and either a prospect or a future first next year (unrestricted) which is a deeper draft.

I like Zizic as a prospect but there's no way he lasts that long.  He's projected as a first rounder.  would rather take him at 23 and slide Maker and Qi back a draft slot. 

would take a flyer on Ben Bentil over Felder and probably Qi too.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I think that Rozier and #3 is a reasonable compromise between offering #3 only and #3 with Smart.  I also like the Barnes signing and am willing to overpay. I prefer a small ball lineup that moves Crowder to the 4 rather than Johnson. I'm on the fence as to keeping AJ at all. I would hope that young guys like Mickey and one of the other bigs that we draft with our 7 other picks could secure rotation spots. By my rough calculation, we could also get some veteran help at the 4/5 by letting AJ go and using the cap space. Turner can stay on a reasonable deal, but it's probably time to move on from Jerebko, Sullinger, Zeller and AJ.

I'd be open to that. I wonder if we could get Covington back in the deal with including Rozier, though. He'd be a really nice cost-controlled, good-shooting back-up wing for us.