Author Topic: VanDeWeghe explains why they did not suspend Draymond Green  (Read 1494 times)

Re: VanDeWeghe explains why they did not suspend Draymond Green
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Thorough investigation. Lol. Nba just needs to stop.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
All players are equal but some are more equal than others.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
IMO one point people who defend Green miss is how it feels to play bball against someone like him.

You have to constantly be on the lookout for the next dirty play, and this affects your concentration to the game. What if the next time Green kicks or punches Adams, Adams loses his composure, curses at the referee and gets a technical?

On the bright side, Green is one point away from an automatic suspension. Unless he changes his attitude, this is bound to happen pretty soon.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Draymond, that I viewed as a flail that is becoming, you know, pretty common amongst our players in trying to sell calls. Draymond does it a fair amount, Westbrook does it a fair amount, and a number of other players. Unfortunately, in this particular one, Draymond’s leg connected in the same Adams groin area, the same area, as the Jones one, but everything else about the call, or the play, was really different. And you know, again, the ball was knocked out of Draymond’s hands, he went up, trying to sell a call, he flails his arm, he flails his leg, and so at that point, when the contact was made, I think we felt that something more, some additional penalty was warranted, so that’s what we did.

Basically: The play was reckless, but in the context of the game and the way Draymond has behaved in the past, it looks like a flailing attempt to get a foul call. 

This is different than when a guy makes a closed fist and connects with another player's body in an apparently intentional way.

That said, do I think it's likely that in the heat of the moment Draymond didn't particularly care whether his flailing happened to hit Adams?  Absolutely, I do.  That's why you assess the guy with a Flagrant.

And if you think this sort of play is a threat to player safety in the game and the series as a whole, assess a Flagrant Two.  But do it in game, not after the fact.

We wouldn't want the NBA giving the teams handicaps based on calls they decide they missed late in the game in an earlier part of the series.  So why suspend a guy after the fact for a call that should have been more severe at the time?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:31 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
"Our investigative agent, from the "Goodell School of Investigations," determined that the outcome that we wanted was the appropriate one..."

Mike

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably should've gotten suspended but glad he didn't. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team