Author Topic: Toronto and Celtics trade (idea)  (Read 1754 times)

Toronto and Celtics trade (idea)
« on: May 24, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Watching the last two Raptors games its obvious they are playing themselves into a difficult off season. With Derozen looking for a huge pay day they will not have the cap space available to sign Biyombo. They currently have reletivly big money tied into two players who are not playing major roles this series. Valancunis is injured and Terrance Ross who has been relegated to a limited bench role.

My proposal is one that im not really sold on as it may paint the Cs into a corner for future moves. However it does represent a clear infusion and upgrade in talent.

Cs trade #3, KO, Amir and #23

Raptors trade #9, Valanciunas and Ross

Cs,

The trade nets them a legit 24year old starting center. Prior to his injury he averaged 15pts 12rb in his 10 playoff games. Also looking at his shot chart I think he will be a player who more incorporates a mid range game as he continues to develop given his solid mid range % and FT%. Ross has gone the opposite way playing less of a role and being less productive in the playoffs. However he is a 25 year old 2/3 who averaged 10pts in only 24 mpg this season and shot 39% from 3 on 4.6 attempts. In Turners role I can see the 25 year old Ross taking the next step in his career and adding real offensive punch off the bench. Both of these players seem like they will fit in the rotation next season as Amir and Turner replacements. The pick swap is a hard pill to swallow but at #9 the Cs would be in wait and see mode hoping that a player like Hield or Ellenson falls. If not Chriss would be a welcome gamble given his elite upside.

Rapots,

This trade frees up cap space for Biyombo and creates a Canadian home coming. With the #3 pick they could draft Murray to replace Ross in the rotation and give the Raptors a long term corner piece at SG. Bringing in KO would given them a possible starter at PF who fits nicely next to the hopefully resigned Biyombo.

Bottom line, this maybe to nice a trade for the Raptors but I can see it working for both teams 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Toronto and Celtics trade (idea)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:22:58 AM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Kudos to an original idea. Personally I would be devastated if Celtics made this trade. JV isn't what we are looking for as a center I don't think - he has been limited defensively and coach hasn't always trusted him in crunch time. Terence Ross is just awful.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:17:08 AM by anewframe »

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:11 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It is an original idea, that isn't totally absurd.

However, I think we can get more for any deal involving the third pick - unless Ainge destroys the franchise by picking Dragan Bender.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:57 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
This may feel like an overpay, but Valanciunas is really really good. He has looked like the best player on the floor for the raps for stretches this season, and he advanced stats have been outstanding, his whole career and especially the last two years (career .166WS/40, season .211WS/40, playoffs .245WS/40). He's a traditional big man who isn't a prototypical pace-and-space guy, but I don't think that's an issue as long as we let Sully leave.

Valanciunas is a star, and he's locked up on a bargain 4yr/$64m contract. Ross also had a solid season in a limited role, and he provides positive value on his $10m/yr deal. I'd do this trade in a heartbeat, and frankly I think it's heavily biased in the Celtics' favor.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
This may feel like an overpay, but Valanciunas is really really good. He has looked like the best player on the floor for the raps for stretches this season, and he advanced stats have been outstanding, his whole career and especially the last two years (career .166WS/40, season .211WS/40, playoffs .245WS/40). He's a traditional big man who isn't a prototypical pace-and-space guy, but I don't think that's an issue as long as we let Sully leave.

Valanciunas is a star, and he's locked up on a bargain 4yr/$64m contract. Ross also had a solid season in a limited role, and he provides positive value on his $10m/yr deal. I'd do this trade in a heartbeat, and frankly I think it's heavily biased in the Celtics' favor.

That's why there's no way Toronto would do this trade....

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think that is an overpay for Valanciunas. He is a good but not great starting center.

Not worth the price (#3, KO, Amir, #23) Ainge would be paying.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think that is an overpay for Valanciunas. He is a good but not great starting center.

Not worth the price (#3, KO, Amir, #23) Ainge would be paying.
agreed.  too much to give up.  not enamored with Ross and V isn't going to move the needle much for this team -- not enough to justify giving up that many assets.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
To me, Biyombo looks more interesting than Valanciunas. And he's only 22 I think.