Author Topic: Before jumping on the Bender hype train review....  (Read 27610 times)

Re: Before jumping on the Bender hype train review....
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Draftexpress weakness scouting video below.    We are not only talking about lack of strength problems here.     Has no post game to speak of.    Lacks explosiveness.   takes a while before shooting the ball  (if you think Jerebko is slow..).    Jack of all trades type on both ends.   Lacks a reliable shooting touch.    Imo does not look has reliable in a half court game (critical in the 4th quarter)

again yes lack of strength is a key issue.  But this guy is not some super "skilled" player many here think he is.  He is no dirk , thats for sure.   

Even if this clip below does not "sway" your overall thinking about bender, just be aware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhREj9q-UpM

All legitimate concerns. TP.

But you are wasting your time. The folks on this board who are intent on Ainge wasting the best Celtics draft pick in 20 years on, to be as kind as possible, an uber-project that will take at least five years to contribute a thing to this club with his many flaws and his badly underdeveloped game are never going to admit they are wrong.

That's the beauty of the Internet.

Now, we just have to hope that Ainge hasn't lost his mind entirely.

And let's be clear....you want to trade the "best Celtic draft pick in 20 years on" for Okafur. That really doesn't sound like such a great draft pick.

There was even an article in the Boston Globe this morning about how Okafor would not be a core celtic player, but a piece to trade for a core celtic player down the road. They compared Okafor to Al Jefferson, which sounds just about right.

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is his defense really as good as that Draftexpress strengths made it out to be?

Bender doesn't look as athletic in some other videos. Did not look impressive in that u-18s video that was posted in the other thread.

That's the issue... No way to know how his d will translate to the NBA. I'm curious to see how he does in workouts.
If he looks like a "jack of all trades"  in the Israeli league (or U18 competitions, for that matter), that probably means all of those "trades" will be unusable in the NBA at this stage of his development.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Spot on analysis. He does nothing well. His best qualities are average at best.

Ok how many games have you seen him play?
as much as you have.

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I mentioned this Weakness Video a few days ago, Triboy making a bigger deal out of it than me, although I did feel it was concerning.  Not sure when it was filmed. Some of the video seemed kind of old.  Also, DE Weakness videos make pretty much every player suspect. That is the point; to show their weaknesses. We could put together a tape of some bad sequences of LBJ that would make you think he should not be in the NBA.  But all the same, good to get it out there, dissect it and argue about it.  Most curious thing is that DE has Bender ranked 3rd in the draft.  So I wonder how much stock that Givony even puts into it.

That DE 'weakness' video was posted last November, 2015.   It is based on footage from prior seasons.

Until DE does an updated pre-draft scouting video, the only more recent video is stuff put together from stuff posted on the Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv team's Youtube channel.

Here is a highlight video that actually focuses on Bender, from one of their games in December:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQ5TIbVsy4

It only captures offensive highlights, though.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

as much as you have.

Ok so how many is that?  Please tell me.

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2016, 02:13:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
triboy, what are you doing? we want the lakers to take bender. we need to all be on the same page and talk up his value as much as possible.

Well played, sir!
 8)
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Draftexpress weakness scouting video below.    We are not only talking about lack of strength problems here.     Has no post game to speak of.    Lacks explosiveness.   takes a while before shooting the ball  (if you think Jerebko is slow..).    Jack of all trades type on both ends.   Lacks a reliable shooting touch.    Imo does not look has reliable in a half court game (critical in the 4th quarter)

again yes lack of strength is a key issue.  But this guy is not some super "skilled" player many here think he is.  He is no dirk , thats for sure.   

Even if this clip below does not "sway" your overall thinking about bender, just be aware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhREj9q-UpM

All legitimate concerns. TP.

But you are wasting your time. The folks on this board who are intent on Ainge wasting the best Celtics draft pick in 20 years on, to be as kind as possible, an uber-project that will take at least five years to contribute a thing to this club with his many flaws and his badly underdeveloped game are never going to admit they are wrong.

That's the beauty of the Internet.

Now, we just have to hope that Ainge hasn't lost his mind entirely.

Yep, let's get Sabonis instead.

I hope so  ;D

Doesn't have to be with the 3rd pick.  But grab him one way or the other.

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

as much as you have.

Many many games. Of him warming up the bench. 

Whoever fault it is/excuses, he was mainly glued to the bench last season . There is little to go by(recent performance)

This should not mean, oh let's talk about what he did 2-3 years ago to hype him up today

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 04:15:28 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

as much as you have.

Whoever fault it is/excuses, he was mainly glued to the bench last season . There is little to go by(recent performance)

This should not mean, oh let's talk about what he did 2-3 years ago to hype him up today

Ok what games have you seen him in then? Please name them. You make it out like the kids a finished product. When he has seen extended time he has played well. Lets not forget there was life before this season.

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

as much as you have.

Ok what games have you seen him in then? Please name them. You make it out like the kids a finished product. When he has seen extended time he has played well. Lets not forget there was life before this season.

Unless you count Youtube/Draft Express "highlight" videos as games, I'm guessing the answer is zero.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2016, 05:10:46 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
TP Triboy.  Couldn't agree more after watching this video and about 20 others.

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

And really, what else does anyone need to do to successfully evaluate a young player?

I'm so jealous of Danny Ainge. That guy has the easiest job in the world!

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

And really, what else does anyone need to do to successfully evaluate a young player?

How else would I evaluate him?  Travel to Israel on my lunch breaks?  I'm working with the information I have.

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Ah, you're right, Boris. Fans know nothing about these kids, so they should just stop talking about the draft. In fact, they really know nothing about anything that's going on in the league, so what's the point?

That's it, boys, pack it in, we're closing Celticsblog.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2016, 12:12:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Ah, you're right, Boris. Fans know nothing about these kids, so they should just stop talking about the draft. In fact, they really know nothing about anything that's going on in the league, so what's the point?

That's it, boys, pack it in, we're closing Celticsblog.

Um no, you really missed the point here.

In plenty of other instances we as armchair evaluators have a lot to go on - for example if you've seen every game Marcus Smart has played in as a Celtic, you have a decent basis for forming an opinion about his defensive ability of shooting.

In Bender's case that's not true at all - we have essentially no information. So to not only form an opinion, but argue that you know better than the best-informed people on the world (talent evaluators and GMs) where he should be drafted, or what his potential is, is ridiculous.

Better in my mind to say "they must see something in this kid that I don't...what could it be?" And go from there.