Poll

Yes or No?

Yes
10 (41.7%)
No
14 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: June 22, 2016, 07:32:12 PM

Author Topic: Trade Idea: #3 for Cauley-Stein and #8  (Read 4696 times)

Re: Trade Idea: #3 for Cauley-Stein and #8
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The jump from 8 to 3 should be given a higher value than WCS.  The Kings would need to throw in another first or a similar-level player for me to think about it.

To play devil's advocate, he was the 6th pick in last year's draft, which is considered a stronger draft, and is still just 22. Plus, we were rumored to have interest in him and he does fill a position of need.

I tend to agree it should be about the right amount.  Of course, we'd also have to send salary out to acquire WCS in a true draft night trade.  Presumably this would be two of James Young, Jordan Mickey, and RJ Hunter.  Does a combination of those players necessitate something else?  In my greedy imagination, that I censored from my original post yesterday, I wanted their 2021 1st rounder back as well (that's the first one they can trade.)

In order to absorb the Cauley-Stein contract wouldn't it be easier to agree in principle to a deal on draft night and execute it after the cap rises?

Yes and no.  You certainly can do it that way.  There's always the risk that something goes wrong and the other side backs out, after you've now made the pick of a player you presumably didn't want.  As chaotic as the Kings organization is, that's more possible than it is with most teams.  So if you're able to find an agreeable way to do it that doesn't involve waiting two weeks, it might be the better decision.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:42 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This is a great idea, I like it much more than swapping #3 for Okafor.  Even if we need to throw in some of our other picks this year or a non-Smart young guy I'd still do it.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I've got Bender ahead of Simmons right now

Probably explains why your posting here and not a draft guru....

ROFL

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:01 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
A lot of trade ideas, so I'll throw this one out there.

Celtics
We get Cauley-Stein who shores up a need as a young athletic rim running/rim protecting big going on just his second year of his rookie scale deal.

Assuming the first 6 picks are Simmons, Ingram, Dunn, Bender, Hield, and Murray, with the #8 pick we would likely be choosing between players such as Brown, Chriss, Ellenson, Poeltl, Skal, and Davis.

All those players you mentioned IMO are going to be MUCH better than anyone else, they are the top of the draft. To me it's starting to look like a good top 6 draft. I'm feeling better about the #3 pick!

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Simmons just seems S-A-W-F-T and I have concerns about that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If there is one thing that Bender is not, that is soft. He's a very tough, hard nosed player.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He was 7th nationally in rebounds and fourth nationally in free throw attempts -- 1st in his conference in both.  Soft players don't get that many boards and free throws.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I also proposed a trade similar to this a while back. Bender and the potential for Ingram to slip has grown on me since then, but I'd definitely consider it, especially if Ellenson is available. That right there would upgrade our front court significantly, in my opinion.

Hell, we could even do a bigger trade if we were targeting Ellenson:

Boston: WCS, #8, 2021 1st

Sacramento: KO, #3

KO would be a great stretch 4 next to Cousins, and would be much, much cheaper than Anderson. That would seemingly be a great trade for both sides.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 08:59:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
generally like this idea but I don't trust the 8th pick.  So I'd say just give Sacramento Bender or Dunn and then add in what they need to give up Cousins (Danny's dream trade).  Admit I don't know much about WCS other than his profile fits a major C's need.

Or since it seems like a clear top 6, with J.Brown an uncertain 7th pick, how about trade with Minny, where Bender seems like he'd fit fantastically.  What would Minny give Boston along with the 5th pick for the chance to steal Bender from Phoenix?  Or what other guys would go back and forth to balance it?

General hope is Ingram slipping to 3. 

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He was 7th nationally in rebounds and fourth nationally in free throw attempts -- 1st in his conference in both.  Soft players don't get that many boards and free throws.

I wouldn't call him soft, but he definitely doesn't play with a high motor. He's a lot like Jeff Green in terms of energy/effort.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Willey Trill doesn't excite me and I don't like the idea of dropping to the back end of the top ten, where the Celts are likely to have a pick em of raw project bigs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I wouldn't call him soft, but he definitely doesn't play with a high motor. He's a lot like Jeff Green in terms of energy/effort.

He's really not.  He could have put out more effort, sure.  His goal this past year was to not blow out a knee and cost himself millions of dollars.  But people get too excited around here to call someone Jeff Green.  If Jeff Green went for 19/12 on an average night, he would be one of the most popular Celtics ever.  But that's not who Jeff Green is, or ever was.

It was the same thing with Andrew Wiggins in college.  The trendy thing was to say Wiggins=Jeff Green.  That's obviously been disproved, and so too will it be with Simmons.  He's unequivocally the best NBA prospect in this year's draft.  If he somehow falls to the third pick, Ainge should run to the podium, pick him, and cackle in glee.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 09:24:10 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

ROFL

I am not in love with Simmons, but really?

It's hard to beat this board for the sheer hilarity of the hyperbolic nonsense surrounding a guy who's done nothing against anyone but teenagers.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

ROFL

I am not in love with Simmons, but really?

It's hard to beat this board for the sheer hilarity of the hyperbolic nonsense surrounding a guy who's done nothing against anyone but teenagers.

Do you mean like the hilarity of LeBron, KG and others when they were picked after only playing against teenagers? Is that what you mean?

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
generally like this idea but I don't trust the 8th pick.  So I'd say just give Sacramento Bender or Dunn and then add in what they need to give up Cousins (Danny's dream trade).  Admit I don't know much about WCS other than his profile fits a major C's need.

Or since it seems like a clear top 6, with J.Brown an uncertain 7th pick, how about trade with Minny, where Bender seems like he'd fit fantastically.  What would Minny give Boston along with the 5th pick for the chance to steal Bender from Phoenix?  Or what other guys would go back and forth to balance it?

General hope is Ingram slipping to 3. 
I don't see Ingram slipping and if he does, take him.  if the draft goes as expected with Bender the possible pick at 3, I'll all for a bidding war for that pick if teams want Bender or Dunn.  Let's see what we can get