Poll

Yes or No?

Yes
10 (41.7%)
No
14 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: June 22, 2016, 07:32:12 PM

Author Topic: Trade Idea: #3 for Cauley-Stein and #8  (Read 4676 times)

Trade Idea: #3 for Cauley-Stein and #8
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
A lot of trade ideas, so I'll throw this one out there.

Celtics
We get Cauley-Stein who shores up a need as a young athletic rim running/rim protecting big going on just his second year of his rookie scale deal.

Assuming the first 6 picks are Simmons, Ingram, Dunn, Bender, Hield, and Murray, with the #8 pick we would likely be choosing between players such as Brown, Chriss, Ellenson, Poeltl, Skal, and Davis.

Kings
The Kings, at least Divac and Vivek do, want to play fast and Joerger will likely use Cousins primarily as a 5 this year as a result. That said, there seems to be a glut at center with Cousins, Cauley-Stein, and Koufus (who Joerger coach for a few seasons in Memphis). They have also been rumored to be targeting Ryan Anderson as a stretch 4 during free agency. In addition, the Kings have already stated that they will not get into a bidding way for Rondo, which would leave a big hole at PG. Enter Kris Dunn.

From the moment Joerger landed the head-coaching gig in Memphis, he wanted to implement a more up-tempo offense. He wasn’t asking them to run constantly. Rather, he wanted them to get into sets with more time left on the shot clock, because that provides a couple extra, precious seconds per possession to create a high-percentage shot.

Joerger struggled to sell his vision to the team’s veterans, and that coupled with the traditional makeup of the roster caused Joerger to put his grand offensive plan on the backburner and install a very similar style of play to his predecessor – Lionel Hollins — at least in terms of pace of play.

James Ham of CSNBayArea.com:

The 27-year-old forward was born in Sacramento and grew up in El Dorado Hills where he attended Oak Ridge High School. He grew up a Kings fan. Posters of Kings players adorned his walls. He played on the Kings home court as an eighth grader and even won a state championship at Arco Arena as a prep athlete.

One last game at the old barn held a special meaning for a player who has been through plenty of trials over his career.

“This will always be my home,” Anderson told CSN California. “My family’s still here.”

The latest scuttlebutt is that the Kings are prepared to cut bait with Rajon Rondo if the bidding for him gets beyond a certain threshold that is lower than we might imagine, given the Kings' recent transaction history.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:41:20 PM by Eddie20 »

Re: Trade Idea: #3 for Cauley-Stein and #8
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:33:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
So the choices at 8 would be = Skal, Poeltl or Jaylen Brown.
Is there anyone else available at 8 that looks interesting?

I am trying to work out how valuable that pick is.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't like this trade idea, but could see Ainge pursuing something like this, particularly if he was keen on someone that dropped to 8, and wasn't thrilled with his 3 pick.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
So the choices at 8 would be = Skal, Poeltl or Jaylen Brown.
Is there anyone else available at 8 that looks interesting?

I am trying to work out how valuable that pick is.

Well, Ellenson as a projected stretch 4 could be a nice fit in our system. I really do like Valentine, but taking him this high seems like a bit of a reach when he's projected to go in the very early teens. Chriss does have huge upside as an athletic 4 and some feel he's the most athletic player in the draft.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:40:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Plagiarizer!   ;D

I'm in favor of trading back for a player and a pick, myself.  Say, for example, the Kings really love Kris Dunn.  I'd look into giving them #3 for #8 and Willie Cauley-Stein.  Could pick up a nice young defensive center and get a nice prospect, potentially Murray or Hield even.

Anyway, I do think Hield could slide to 8.  Another name I like at 8 is Henry Ellenson.  He could potentially become the player we wanted Sully to be.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Plagiarizer!   ;D

I'm in favor of trading back for a player and a pick, myself.  Say, for example, the Kings really love Kris Dunn.  I'd look into giving them #3 for #8 and Willie Cauley-Stein.  Could pick up a nice young defensive center and get a nice prospect, potentially Murray or Hield even.

Anyway, I do think Hield could slide to 8.  Another name I like at 8 is Henry Ellenson.  He could potentially become the player we wanted Sully to be.

Nice. Great minds... ;)

In fact, I just mentioned Ellenson in my followup, directly above your post.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:46:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The jump from 8 to 3 should be given a higher value than WCS.  The Kings would need to throw in another first or a similar-level player for me to think about it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 07:48:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
The jump from 8 to 3 should be given a higher value than WCS.  The Kings would need to throw in another first or a similar-level player for me to think about it.

To play devil's advocate, he was the 6th pick in last year's draft, which is considered a stronger draft, and is still just 22. Plus, we were rumored to have interest in him and he does fill a position of need.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

To play devil's advocate, he was the 6th pick in last year's draft, which is considered a stronger draft, and is still just 22. Plus, we were rumored to have interest in him and he does fill a position of need.

I've got Bender ahead of Simmons right now and want no part of Skal or Ellenson, so I probably have a different valuation of the picks involved.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
One of better ideas I've heard of tp.  I do wonder if Ainge is looking at bender being the next great nba player even if it takes four years.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I tend to agree it should be about the right amount.  Of course, we'd also have to send salary out to acquire WCS in a true draft night trade.  Presumably this would be two of James Young, Jordan Mickey, and RJ Hunter.  Does a combination of those players necessitate something else?  In my greedy imagination, that I censored from my original post yesterday, I wanted their 2021 1st rounder back as well (that's the first one they can trade.)

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I've got Bender ahead of Simmons right now and want no part of Skal or Ellenson, so I probably have a different valuation of the picks involved.

That's fair. I really like Bender too and think he has a world of upside. Just trying to think a bit outside the box with this.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've got Bender ahead of Simmons right now

Probably explains why your posting here and not a draft guru....

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline Gahdening

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Kings love WCS. Vlade loves Hield. If we could get Bender to PHX, and then Hield, Ellenson or Poetl, and possibly Tucker or Warren to SAC, with picks, they might bite on Cousins. But Joerger has hyped WCS ahead of Boogie so I don't see him as a value enhancer to a pick swap.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I tend to agree it should be about the right amount.  Of course, we'd also have to send salary out to acquire WCS in a true draft night trade.  Presumably this would be two of James Young, Jordan Mickey, and RJ Hunter.  Does a combination of those players necessitate something else?  In my greedy imagination, that I censored from my original post yesterday, I wanted their 2021 1st rounder back as well (that's the first one they can trade.)

In order to absorb the Cauley-Stein contract wouldn't it be easier to agree in principle to a deal on draft night and execute it after the cap rises?