Author Topic: Rumor: Lebron isn't a lock to stay in Cleveland  (Read 3798 times)

Rumor: Lebron isn't a lock to stay in Cleveland
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2641891-lebron-james-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-stars-future-with-cavaliers

I don't know how believable this is, because I've long held that James is ultimately stuck in Cleveland for the rest of his career now for his legacy's sake. Leaving them twice in free agency, especially without bringing them a championship, would ultimately wreck his image in Cleveland.

However, if his goal is to win as many championships as possible, then it would definitely make sense for him to have options open to join teams other than Cleveland. Fair or not, he'll never be considered better than MJ unless he has somewhere close to the number of championships as MJ did. So if that's his ultimate goal, i.e. to be known as the best ever, which I think we can all assume is true, then perhaps this report makes sense.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he tried to make a superteam of him, Wade, Anthony, and Paul somewhere next year, because he's already stated that he wanted to try that before his career is over.

What do you think? Could Lebron possibly change teams this summer (either after winning or not winning the title), and if so, where could he possibly go?

Re: Rumor: Lebron isn't a lock to stay in Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Whoa. How bad would it be for his rep if he left AGAIN?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think LeBron will leave this summer. Two Finals trips in a row is hard to top. If the Cavs had of failed to the Finals this season, I think it would have been possible.

I expect LeBron to leave the Cavs again at some point. Just not this summer.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Whoa. How bad would it be for his rep if he left AGAIN?

I am not sure this matters. How are we going to argue his legacy in 15 years? If he leaves and goes to another team and wins 4-5 more championships and gets to 6/7 will we care how he did it? I don't think so. Why does it matter that a person won them all on one team. That is certainly admirable, but it shouldn't make them any better while evaluating legacy.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Thanks for posting this, tbh tho I do not think much of the source

-clickbait title
-Bleacher report
-very speculative content

I did not read anything I did not know already in this article.

In any case, I doubt LBJ goes anywhere.

First, he has a pretty good situation. CLE's roster is very good and LBJ has been part of every decision related to the front office, coaching stuff, trades. He has zero grounds to complain

Second, where does he go? CLE guarantees him an easy way to the Finals.
The only teams with a similarly good roster are GSW, SAS and OKC but it is very unlikely he joins any of these teams: he already has a ring after all.

It is also very unlikely he joins a team with a young core like Philly or Minny. Personally, I can hardly think of a team where LBJ would want to leave CLE for.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Thanks for posting this, tbh tho I do not think much of the source

-clickbait title
-Bleacher report
-very speculative content

I did not read anything I did not know already in this article.

In any case, I doubt LBJ goes anywhere.

First, he has a pretty good situation. CLE's roster is very good and LBJ has been part of every decision related to the front office, coaching stuff, trades. He has zero grounds to complain

Second, where does he go? CLE guarantees him an easy way to the Finals.
The only teams with a similarly good roster are GSW, SAS and OKC but it is very unlikely he joins any of these teams: he already has a ring after all.

It is also very unlikely he joins a team with a young core like Philly or Minny. Personally, I can hardly think of a team where LBJ would want to leave CLE for.

I agree with you 100%, however don't you think there could be a good argument to be made here about him joining the Celtics? I do not think it'll ever happen, but if he said I am not going back to Cleveland and want to stay in the east, doesn't Boston have to be a top choice?

Could you imagine a line up of Smart/Bradley/James/Crowder/Amir

Holy cow talk about defense.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:04:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think LeBron will leave this summer. Two Finals trips in a row is hard to top. If the Cavs had of failed to the Finals this season, I think it would have been possible.

The gist of the article is that the Cavs win the title would mean he would leave.  won't leave if they don't win, but if they do he might.  I find it hard to believe that if the Cavs win the title that James would leave.  Just doesn't make sense to me given how young the supporting cast is (I mean it isn't like Cleveland is an old team with the window closing).  Just a silly argument.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:46:55 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
If Lebron wants a superteam why not try and build it in CLE? Titles won in LA or NY will be looked at a bit less IMO if he's really interested in legacy.

"Ya'll need to come my way this time..." is what he should tell Melo, CP3 and Wade. "I'm the co-GM here anyways..."

Irving for CP3 and a future 1st (shakes things up for LAC and lets them explore the Irving/Blake fit for a year...)

Love for Melo and a future 1st (NY could flip Love or expand to a 3-way with BOS)

Wade as a FA (would have to take less...)

The firsts help blunt the immediate aging concerns the actual CLE gm should have in making deals like this....
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:49:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
GC's deals make sense. Given the last two games, I can't see Cleveland keeping Love.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

2 finals trips but wouldn't that have been the same wherever LeBron was? Not sure how much Cleveland contributed to that

Don't underestimate his ego. He'll go if it's best for him

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

2 finals trips but wouldn't that have been the same wherever LeBron was? Not sure how much Cleveland contributed to that

Haven't made the finals yet. 

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 03:37:29 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Haven't made the finals yet.
lol true!

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 03:51:38 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nothing would surprise me with Lebron. He has zero loyalty, and he only things about himself.  If he thinks he has limited chance to win a title in Clevleand, he wont hesitate to move on.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 07:32:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am not sure this matters. How are we going to argue his legacy in 15 years? If he leaves and goes to another team and wins 4-5 more championships

He is not going to win 4-5 more championships no matter where he goes.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He just signed a like BILLZoN dollar contract a shoe company I think.

He can do about what ever he wants .

He can buy a team....make him self coach, GM and starter .

Bron is MJ 2.0'in the business world