Author Topic: Would this team suffice for the 2016/2017 season?  (Read 1477 times)

Would this team suffice for the 2016/2017 season?
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:45:41 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Okafor
Horford
Crowder
Bradley
Thomas

Lets say we make the Okafor trade for the 3rd pick, couple of others and lets say Rozier, then sign Horford in free agency, would this make you happy about our progression/chances for the upcoming season?

How many wins would you expect?

Re: Would this team suffice for the 2016/2017 season?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:56:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
55 wins = I think oftentimes the team will play much better when Olynyk or Jerebko is on the floor instead of J.Okafor. The bench will be key alongside Horford's versatility.

I would be happy with this team despite not being a big fan of J.Okafor. I would not view J.Okafor as a long term piece of the team due to his flaws.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:05:23 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
55 wins = I think oftentimes the team will play much better when Olynyk or Jerebko is on the floor instead of J.Okafor. The bench will be key alongside Horford's versatility.

I would be happy with this team despite not being a big fan of J.Okafor. I would not view J.Okafor as a long term piece of the team due to his flaws.

Yeah I can agree with you on Okafor, I really see him as a more advanced Big Al but given our options at the moment this team is the most logical, but I don't think it would be able to function if we don't get Horford in free agency and like you said Olynyk next to Horford would probably lead to better spacing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:11:00 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Funny.. i dont even want to smell okafor or horford.. but that
ineup doesnt make me want to join isil.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Seems like a solid starting 5, especially in the East

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I don't think that is a bad lineup but honestly, I don't think Horford is worth signing unless Durant is coming (since Durant listed him on his short list of players  he want to play with). Judging how well they are playing right now against the GSW, I seriously doubt he is leaving OKC.

With that said, no Durant, I don't think I want Horford here as neither him nor Okafor as centers. I rather save additional cap space for the next summer of free agents.

Okafor is young, and cheap and still has tons of potential so I think he is worth the risk of developing.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:05:07 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think that team would be good, no doubt.  However, it would loos to Cleveland in the eastern conference finials.   And if it did some how make it to the finals it would loose to any one of:  Golden State; OKC; or San Antonio.  Also, other teams are getting better with athletic young players.  This would not be an athletic team, so we may find that we can’t even make the eastern conference finals by year two.  We would give up a lot for what would probably a very exciting 3 years of coming up just short year after year.   We would probably still be playing in May but not June.  Heck we may even have to suffer through watching Evan Turner knock us out of the playoffs again, but this time in a Knicks uniform.  And we’d have no reason to even watch the draft let a lone be excited about the out come.  When Philly wins the title and everyone praises their tanking strategy and how they built through the draft, we’d be left drowning our sorrows in the life sucks bar with Sam Hinkie and Mark Jackson.   I say keep our picks, draft for star potential, and over pay in free agency so we can end up just as completive as this roster you have but at the same time develop our own star player(s) from within.  So, when those over pay contracts are up our young guys rookie deals will be up and we can pay the players we developed.   Then with a young, athletic, and yet still experienced team, we win banner #18

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

I'd rather go after N.Noel than Okafor. Am I crazy? I was really high on Okafor last year at this time, but think Noel is a better fit (and don't mind overpaying him a little for his defense which would mask Olynyk's shortcomings...)
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:44:40 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I would be okay with that team (though I would like to get it without giving up the 3 pick) as another year in the rebuild assuming DA can't get Durant. We would be better and push over the 50 wins comfortably.

Wouldn't beat Cavs but it would be a step forward, keep most assets and look to improve the next season. Present squad will be better next season for this season's experience. Under CBS the team could 'over achieve' and finish top 3 in the East.

All that said, I would be happier with fireworks and getting KD. Nice to have a dream.