Poll

Will the Celts get a starting center in free agency?

Yes
21 (38.9%)
No
23 (42.6%)
All life on Earth will be destroyed before the free agency period begins
10 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Next Year's Starting Center  (Read 11803 times)

Re: Next Year's Starting Center
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I dunno if a guy with that many TOs in college can be expected to become a primary ballhandler in the NBA.

Besides, I kinda doubt Philly will want to trade Noel, especially not for Smart. They don't need another non shooter who isn't ready to be the main runner of the offense.  And I think Philly will trade Okafor rather than Noel.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Not a bad idea on the Celtics best podcast today.  They were saying kris Dunn is better than Marcus smart in most ways.   They suggested trading Marcus Smart for Nerlens Noel and drafting a guard.   We've had the Smart for Noel idea forever.  Still makes sense.

I am a fan of that. I think Ainge should consider taking Dunn and trading either Smart or IT. Smart for Noel would be a good move to re-balance the squad.

You don't trade IT for Noel.  Paying WAY TOO MUCH...

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2016, 08:29:46 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
No Nene....he's injured far too often. We don't need to watch him in street clothes most of the time.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2016, 01:03:27 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Al Horford or Bismack Biyombo seem like potential FA candidates

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Trade the #3 in a deal to get Okafor.

Save us from the Great Bender Mistake.

How often have you seen Bender play?

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Chief

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I expect it'll be Amir.

It'll be difficult to give big minutes to an all-defense limited-offense center due to the team's limitations offensively out on the perimeter. So that reduces Ainge's options. Therefore, I expect Ainge to strike out and come back with Amir as the starting center again next season.
We have to make the choice early day 3 of free agency is when we have to pick up Amir's option. Hopefully DA has a good feeling about who he wants. He said today a shot blocker is not a priority. But BB sure looked good last night. He is going to get paid now for sure.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm fine with going with a stop gap via FA if need be or rolling it back with Amir.

Just don't pay Dwight Howard $30 million plus.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Obviously, more than the people pimping his underdeveloped game on this board.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not a bad idea on the Celtics best podcast today.  They were saying kris Dunn is better than Marcus smart in most ways.   They suggested trading Marcus Smart for Nerlens Noel and drafting a guard.   We've had the Smart for Noel idea forever.  Still makes sense.

I am a fan of that. I think Ainge should consider taking Dunn and trading either Smart or IT. Smart for Noel would be a good move to re-balance the squad.

No way I trade IT for No Knees Noel.

Smart is a different story altogether. Although I'd prefer a center who can actually score the basketball, which Noel can't.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

How was your trip to Tel Aviv?

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

No, it's not obvious at all.
How much have you seen Okafur play? And why all the love if you've also seen his weaknesses?

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Kelly Olynyk.

I think we're in trouble if that's the case.

I don't think so. Kelly was very effective for us before his shoulder injury. He has improved defensively and would be just fine with another athlete at 4 to pair with him. Our perimeter defense has so much range, length, quickness and strength, Olynyk's remaining defensive faults would almost always be protected.

The biggest problem with finding a partner for Olynyk is that he's both a limited defender outside the paint and he's, at best, an average rebounder. Usually guys that can be hidden deep in the post such as Valanciunas or Kanter have tremendous rebounding ability which complements such defensive roles. That largely eliminates otherwise ideal partners for Olynyk in the 2016 Draft Class such as Marquese Chriss or Skal Labissiere, as both will enter the league as poor rebounders and likely never gain an advantage on the glass. Deyonta Davis could be interesting, especially if the whispers about his evolving jumper are legitimate.

If we're going to find a frontcourt partner for KO, though, it's likely going to come via free agency or trade. One guy that intrigues me is Portland's Ed Davis. Could he be Danny's next diamond in the rough? Davis is a strong finisher inside, an excellent rebounder, and can knock down open midrange Js. He has impressive steal and block rates, indicative of his defensive energy and mobility. Though he just signed a 3 year deal last summer, he could had for cheap as it appears Miles Plumlee emerged this playoffs as Portland's preferred frontcourt prospect (they also have Meyers Leonard, Al Farouq Aminu, and RFA Moe Harkless, who found success as a small ball 4 this season). If we take Bender, Ed Davis would be a great option while Bender develops in the meantime, and likely would serve as a valuable member in an  eventual 3-man frontcourt rotation of Bender, Olynyk and Davis.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:43 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Noah is worth the gamble if its Cheap money and if he would play in Boston?
Still let's u sign two max players while using an early 2nd rounder to find a C to split time.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't know if we get our center this year. I'm starting to believe Danny Ainge is over his head and won't be able to build a championship team even with these assets. He's in a log jam at the guard position and I don't know if he's gonna be able to get out of it. What Danny needs is a Paul Pierce to fill out his roster. Bigs aren't so important today like they were in the Shaq days. Today's NBA is built on scoring jumpers and 3's. I think Danny is gonna screw this thing up. Hope he proves me wrong but I don't even see a playoff contender next year unless he makes some ridiculous trade that blows everyone's mind.