Author Topic: Jaylen Brown  (Read 2159 times)

Jaylen Brown
« on: May 20, 2016, 02:44:59 PM »

Offline Ainge4Prez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
    First of all, coming from someone who has been following him since highschool, some of his weaknesses have been extremely overstated in the past couple months. People honestly think he is extremely raw and doesn't have a feel for the game, when that just isn't the case. I'm not saying he doesn't have a lot of work to do, because he does. But he also has the chance to be a complete player and if he reaches his potential he will be a star.
    He has been a top5 recruit since high school and has been throughout the year until March came around. He had a rough last few games and people have reacted severely, literally off those last games. Also, I see a lot of people who think he can't shoot because he shot 30% form 3 this year. He shot 38% from 3 in AAU/National stage game in High school, he isn't as bad a shooter as people seem to think. Another knock has been his handles/passing. He got a lot of those TO's this year from either being careless with ball or from offensive fouls from using his strength(will be less penalized for this in nba). He also actually has exceptional vision, decision making is definitely still something he needs to improve on though. Some of his struggles also had to do with his team being horrible at spacing.
    The way He fits in with the celtics is that he is the perfect versatile defender. He can guard 1-4 with ease. He is so strong and athletic that he is such a mismatch and he can cover essentially anyone on the floor. He's also extraordinarily intelligent, and that should definitely help him in the growing phase. It might take a few years for him to put everything together, but he could become so good especially in our system. Think of him and Jae in a small ball lineup at the 3 and 4, we would create huge mismatches. He has a bigger wingspan than Lebron! Oh and he also was Pac-12 Freshman of the year and made the Pac-12 all 1st team. He's a beast and everyone seems to be sleeping.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:07:23 PM by Ainge4Prez »

Re: Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
i agree. his athleticism is off the charts, if he polishes up his jump shot he'll be a very good player.

he's like jeff green but tougher and more motivated. a little raw, but clearly knows the game and has a decent BBIQ.

he's a high upside pick who has played very well in a tough conference in the PAC-12 - and he's only a year older than the infinitely controversial dragan bender, who has similar potential but has shown far less.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:13:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like him (though as a Cal grad I may be biased).
I have him with Bender and Hield on my list as the three picks at #3 I'd be most happy with (assuming the draft unfolds as expected with 1&2).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 11:37:46 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
He's my #4 prospect. He's a bit of a blank canvas in some ways. His shot in particular needs to be improved as it isn't consistent. His awareness needs improvement as well. However he's so gifted physically that he can probably find court time whilst developing these anyway.

Would he be able to get on the court alongside Smart though? Or does that mean too many poor shooters on the floor at the same time?

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's about #5 or #6 for me.

A perfect scenario for Brown is that his work ethic brings an explosion after a few years like Hield has just experienced this season.

He's a drool worthy prospect given his athleticism and transition game. If he develops a jumpshot/3 pt shot he'll be unstoppable.
I agree that his defensive versatility is his current calling card.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He was a really inefficient scorer in the half court, though. I have a really hard time pegging Brown, but right now I don't see what makes him a better prospect than Skal, who is also a great athlete with ideal size for his position, theoretical two-way upside, and major question marks (Brown: shooting + decision making; Skal: rebounding + decision making).

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've been all over the Brown pick at three, but I am now seriously considering Bender as the pick, if we keep it.  Reading all of the press he is getting, I can't see how the C's pass him up.  That said, still think the rumored deal with Philly and Okafor is the way to go.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'd never waste a high lottery pick on anyone whose weakness is basketball IQ.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:25:29 PM by budMovin »
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:13:12 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
For a 48 win team that doesn't shoot well, Brown is the perfect player to select if you don't want to take that next step forward to 50+ wins. The Celtics should not be taking any 1,2, or 3 with the 3rd pick in the draft that is not a lights out shooter.